BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #23
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
BMW puts the CDV on the car to reduce shock on the drivetrain from spirited driving. It makes the clutch engagement a bit vague which many people do not like. I think it's fine, however. I've driven manual transmissions for 40 years (literally) and I do not see the big difference. It smooths out the process a little which would be good for a beginner.

The hill hold feature is bigger IMHO for you. The brakes will stay engaged for a couple seconds to give you a chance to get moving when you are stopped. On a hill, this can be useful. The clutch is also relatively light and the shifter throw is pretty short with good feel. It is a relatively easy manual transmission car to drive.

I learned to drive a manual when I bought my first car, a 1966 Mustang. I drove it home with zero experience with a manual. In retrospect this wasn't a great idea. I'd have somebody take you to a parking lot with zero traffic for some practice first. It's easy after you get the hang of it, like most things.

Jim
Good post, I agree with your comments regarding driving a manual and the hill-holder feature.

I also do not see the need to do the CDV removal. I do not race or track my car, and the CDV makes daily driving a bit easier. The 1 Series is one of the best cars I have ever had (over 60 of them, as I am older) to drive in manual configuration. It's a sweet ride.
      07-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #24
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

6mt, its rare that someone says they bought a 6mt and they regretted not getting the DCT, there are plenty who get the DCT and wish they got the 6mt for what its worth.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #25
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

I should clarify my previous statement a little.

If I had another racecar I would prefer DCT, but that is only because the only thing that matters is lap times, and much less concerned about the enjoyment of the experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #26
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
I should clarify my previous statement a little.

If I had another racecar I would prefer DCT, but that is only because the only thing that matters is lap times, and much less concerned about the enjoyment of the experience.
This
      07-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #27
WillisW555
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is

I've driven a range of manual cars and I ordered DCT. I'm happy with it as this is my commute car and after driving MT cars through traffic, I'm not sorry for my choice. Now if it was AT vs MT I would have chosen MT. The DCT is a compromise, but an okay one for me.

As a side note, BMW owners have to be some of the last of the dying breed of MT drivers. I believe in 2012, Ferrari sold 1 MT car. Porsche is dumping the MT in the GT3. Lexus isn't putting a MT in their new IS.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 02:54 AM   #28
DBadged
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Maybe I'm naive, but I figure the MT is harder to steal since not many folks can drive it.

On a different note... Any mundane car with MT can become a sports car to its driver. It's like a magic wand...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #29
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillisW555 View Post
I've driven a range of manual cars and I ordered DCT. I'm happy with it as this is my commute car and after driving MT cars through traffic, I'm not sorry for my choice. Now if it was AT vs MT I would have chosen MT. The DCT is a compromise, but an okay one for me.
I don't understand this logic. I test drove the DCT and as near as I could tell there was no clutch pedal and i drove it exactly the way I did any other automatic transmission car. As near as I could tell the real benefit was that it shaved 3 tenths of a second off 0-60 times.

So in day to day commuting traffic the difference between the DCT and a regular automatic is exactly nothing as far as I can tell. I guess you can play with the paddle shifter things but in commuting traffic I can't really see anyone bothering.

In my opinion if it doesn't have a clutch its an automatic. Might be a really good automatic but if you want an MT just get an MT. I commute 75 miles a day much of it in traffic and somehow I manage to shift without my left foot falling off and I'm probably older than most people here.

Agreed though that the manual transmission is going the way of the dinosaur whether we like it or not.
      07-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #30
P7X
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Dying and even worst manufacturers aren't putting money into development of better manual transmissions so when a car does come with the option it will probably a some what dated and potentially life less experience which will push even more ppl to autos.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #31
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
When Porsche puts a DCT in their top of the line performance car at the only trans available, stick a fork in the MT its done.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #32
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

6MT is the only way to go, for me, with a car like this. I'm not tracking the car, so the lap time edge of DCT is of no concern to me. I test drove a DCT and it seemed to give the car a mundane tinge. To each his own, of course.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #33
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
When Porsche puts a DCT in their top of the line performance car at the only trans available, stick a fork in the MT its done.
RIP GT3!

That's OK, the only way I could afford one would be to buy a used one (with a stick) anyways.

Somebody will still make sticks. They better. At our clubs race school, a true MT is required to take the course. Flappy Paddle gearbox? Go rent a car with a stick please.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #34
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I really thought there was some hope for the manual transmission when the 991 debuted with an available 7MT, but after learning the new GT3 and Turbo models would forgo the MT altogether it was a sad day indeed.
      07-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #35
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
i currently have a 2012 A3 quattro with S-Tronic (DSG) which i've been driving for the past 2 years. I have to say the gearbox is a thing of wonder. Lightening fast, very enjoyable to use with the paddles. I am on the paddles 98% of the time with it....the only time i am not on the paddles is in heavy traffic where nothing is going on.

I'm thinking of getting a 135is, and am currently in the same position as you wondering whether to get a DCT or a 6speed. Prior to the A3, i DD my 2001 Audi TT quattro every single day (6 speed manual) and was quite used to it...even in NYC driving. But now that i'm used to a dual clutch in heavy commuting, i'm wondering if it will be harder to go back to a manual.

At this point, I am leaning towards going back to a manual only because of the nature of the 135is (pretty simple and pure driving experience), but i have to say that part of me is tempted by the $450 (cheap!) DCT option.

this is my first post here...so sorry if i'm rambling! I've been an Audi guy for AGES so i feel like i'm in uncharted territory here!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #36
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
i currently have a 2012 A3 quattro with S-Tronic (DSG) which i've been driving for the past 2 years. I have to say the gearbox is a thing of wonder. Lightening fast, very enjoyable to use with the paddles. I am on the paddles 98% of the time with it....the only time i am not on the paddles is in heavy traffic where nothing is going on.

I'm thinking of getting a 135is, and am currently in the same position as you wondering whether to get a DCT or a 6speed. Prior to the A3, i DD my 2001 Audi TT quattro every single day (6 speed manual) and was quite used to it...even in NYC driving. But now that i'm used to a dual clutch in heavy commuting, i'm wondering if it will be harder to go back to a manual.

At this point, I am leaning towards going back to a manual only because of the nature of the 135is (pretty simple and pure driving experience), but i have to say that part of me is tempted by the $450 (cheap!) DCT option.

this is my first post here...so sorry if i'm rambling! I've been an Audi guy for AGES so i feel like i'm in uncharted territory here!
FWIW I switched back to 6MT in my 135i from DCT. The 6MT is just so much more involving for the driver, and the "faster" shifting of the DCT is only of merit if you are tracking or racing the car (IMO, of course).

Given your background, you would have no trouble with the 6MT. The 135i and 135is are just more daily fun with 6MT, even for city driving.
      07-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #37
P7X
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Quote:
"He added the 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 RS will not receive a manual transmission"

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11303195...unch-only-with
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #38
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
FWIW I switched back to 6MT in my 135i from DCT. The 6MT is just so much more involving for the driver, and the "faster" shifting of the DCT is only of merit if you are tracking or racing the car (IMO, of course).

Given your background, you would have no trouble with the 6MT. The 135i and 135is are just more daily fun with 6MT, even for city driving.
thanks i'm thinking the same....although sometimes in NYC, the traffic DOES get pretty ridiculous....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #39
KNTDRV
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i SGM 6MT(gone now)

All my cars (since '75) have had 3 pedals.....it's just so much more "engaging" to drive. My wife has a nice AT ragtop Mustang but I never drive it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #40
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

For me it's pretty simple. I think you're either a manual person or an auto person. I don't think people go through their lives and get some sports cars in manual and some in auto, though I guess soon people may not have a choice the way things are going.

So, if you enjoy and prefer the engagement of a stick shift, just get it in stick, you won't be disappointed. If you tend to prefer or drive autos, get the DCT.

If you're on the fence and really debating, then that may mean you should just get the DCT. Most people seem to be on one end of the spectrum or the other and many people have gotten the DCT and wished they'd gotten a manual. Never heard of anyone getting a manual and wishing they'd gotten the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #41
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
For me it's pretty simple. I think you're either a manual person or an auto person. I don't think people go through their lives and get some sports cars in manual and some in auto, though I guess soon people may not have a choice the way things are going.

So, if you enjoy and prefer the engagement of a stick shift, just get it in stick, you won't be disappointed. If you tend to prefer or drive autos, get the DCT.

If you're on the fence and really debating, then that may mean you should just get the DCT. Most people seem to be on one end of the spectrum or the other and many people have gotten the DCT and wished they'd gotten a manual. Never heard of anyone getting a manual and wishing they'd gotten the DCT.
i completely disagree with that statement. These days, the dual clutch gearbox can be very enthusiastic....is it as pure and fruitful as a true manual? i'm not sure....but there are definitely cars where the dual clutch is a FAR better option than a manual. Take the Evo X for example....the dual clutch equipped cars are the better cars over the manual versions. Same goes for the TT-RS equipped with manuals vs. the DSG cars (europe only).

a dual clutch box is not even technically an 'automatic'....it is more an automated manual without a torque converter. I think this qualifies as a new category of gearboxes.

that being said....i own one car with a manual (TT) and one car with a dual clutch (A3) and i find each gearbox to have their pluses and minuses. The comparison is a far more dynamic process than simply dismissing one as an automatic and saying 'manuals rule'..IMO!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #42
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
i completely disagree with that statement. These days, the dual clutch gearbox can be very enthusiastic....is it as pure and fruitful as a true manual? i'm not sure....but there are definitely cars where the dual clutch is a FAR better option than a manual. Take the Evo X for example....the dual clutch equipped cars are the better cars over the manual versions. Same goes for the TT-RS equipped with manuals vs. the DSG cars (europe only).

a dual clutch box is not even technically an 'automatic'....it is more an automated manual without a torque converter. I think this qualifies as a new category of gearboxes.

that being said....i own one car with a manual (TT) and one car with a dual clutch (A3) and i find each gearbox to have their pluses and minuses. The comparison is a far more dynamic process than simply dismissing one as an automatic and saying 'manuals rule'..IMO!
Agree, On any given day I drive them back to back & as a performance gearbox the automated manual is the way to go. The 6MT is fun but you do give up the quickness of the DCT for some nostalgia.

The other part of the equation in the macho BS some guys attach to the 6MT even though only NASCAR, which just discovered fuel injection, of all the world wide racing organizations has an MT as a required transmission

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #43
thehalcyon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i MT LeMans

Just throwing in my $0.02.

My first test drive in the 135i was with a DCT. It was scary fast, and honestly if I was to race one, I wouldn't even bother. It shifts stupidly fast & SMOOTH. It is the faster version of the car. However if you appreciate a MT, I think you will find your left foot & right hand getting bored after the initial seduction and purchase of your new car.

I was really really tempted to go with the DCT , knowing it was the faster car... It was a tough decision, but I knew I would be happier long term with the MT. I can say now I made the right choice, the MT is a blast to roll through the gears with.

Good luck with your choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #44
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Gotta admit I'm on the fence too but well beyond committed. Every car I'v bought has had a MT. 1 Audi, 1 Ford, 1 Acura, 2 VWs, and 4 BMWs. Then the 135is came out and I ordered one. I went back and forth and finally placed my order for the DCT since I heard so much good about it. I changed my mind and called the dealer and asked them to change to manual. Too late, car was in production so I was 'stuck' with the DCT. The DCT is unbelievable. With the performance exhaust and PPK kit on the 'is' the burble and pops between both up and downshifts puts you in the middle of a F1 race every time you take the car out. The downside is that it IS less engaging around town and for me I hate the loss of control. Even in full manual mode if you put the pedal to the floor the kick down will force a gear change. If anyone knows how to disable the kick down I'm all ears. On the flip side I've had 4 track days in the last 4 weeks and the DCT is great. No regrets for even a second on the track. It outperforms the manual - period. In fact I left it in sport mode with the sport button activated most of the time and it never missed a shift and was always right.
Appreciate 0