BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
marsgirl73
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BSM 6-speed 128i

Negotiation question...

When my 128 was a week away from delivery, I got a brochure from the accessories manager from my dealership, and I decided to add snow chains, Sirius, and floor mats. I was told that the chains were on back order but that I could pick them up in a week or so. (No biggie on that since we just got out of a 100 degree plus heat wave and I didn't really need them.)

When we arrived last Thursday to pick up the car, our CA informed us that the Sirius was back ordered and hadn't been installed...she gave us a "we owe" sheet detailing that we paid for the Sirius but it wasn't in the car yet. She said she'd call us "either tomorrow (last Friday) or early next week to arrange for the install."

As of today, I still haven't heard anything. Granted, I haven't called, either, but about the only good experience I've had with this dealership has been my CA. Since it's the only dealership in the area, they are fairly notorious for not cutting deals, and I'll be honest and say I'm not the best negotiator when it comes to cars. I guess my question is this...should I wait it out and call at the beginning of next week (my CA doesn't work on Thursdays), or should I wait for them to call me and then demand-- something, anything-- for my inconvenience? If I do that, what should I ask for?

Oh, and still no word on the snow chains, either.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Ask for a discount/credit ($100) or swag (cups,caps,shirts). This will at least tell you about how your dealership is run. BMW NA does not keep tight control over their dealer network . Your experience will differ from dealer to dealer. This is one of the few things I hate about BMW

edit

make sure to ding them on the customer survey if they deserve it.
      08-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

Marsgirl73,

I see you are from Kansas City (as I am). I assume you are talking about Baron BMW. My wife and I bought a 3 series from them last Spring, and we plan to buy a 1 series early next year.

Our experience was the same: the CA was GREAT. The accessories manager I could care less for. She never returned my calls, it took
a lot of prodding for me to get what I wanted... Your story sounds so similar. I'd keep bugging her, and I'd make sure someone else at the dealership knows "the trouble" you are having to go through:smile:

I've never been of the mindset to insist trouble for personal gain, but I'd at least throw a "man with all the wait you put me through I should at least get the mats for free" or something along those lines... a shirt... something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsgirl73 View Post
When my 128 was a week away from delivery, I got a brochure from the accessories manager from my dealership, and I decided to add snow chains, Sirius, and floor mats. I was told that the chains were on back order but that I could pick them up in a week or so. (No biggie on that since we just got out of a 100 degree plus heat wave and I didn't really need them.)

When we arrived last Thursday to pick up the car, our CA informed us that the Sirius was back ordered and hadn't been installed...she gave us a "we owe" sheet detailing that we paid for the Sirius but it wasn't in the car yet. She said she'd call us "either tomorrow (last Friday) or early next week to arrange for the install."

As of today, I still haven't heard anything. Granted, I haven't called, either, but about the only good experience I've had with this dealership has been my CA. Since it's the only dealership in the area, they are fairly notorious for not cutting deals, and I'll be honest and say I'm not the best negotiator when it comes to cars. I guess my question is this...should I wait it out and call at the beginning of next week (my CA doesn't work on Thursdays), or should I wait for them to call me and then demand-- something, anything-- for my inconvenience? If I do that, what should I ask for?

Oh, and still no word on the snow chains, either.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
marsgirl73
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alow View Post
Marsgirl73,

I see you are from Kansas City (as I am). I assume you are talking about Baron BMW. My wife and I bought a 3 series from them last Spring, and we plan to buy a 1 series early next year.

Our experience was the same: the CA was GREAT. The accessories manager I could care less for. She never returned my calls, it took
a lot of prodding for me to get what I wanted... Your story sounds so similar. I'd keep bugging her, and I'd make sure someone else at the dealership knows "the trouble" you are having to go through:smile:

I've never been of the mindset to insist trouble for personal gain, but I'd at least throw a "man with all the wait you put me through I should at least get the mats for free" or something along those lines... a shirt... something.
Yeah, I don't want to make a big drama out of the whole thing, but it's really frustrating, especially since it's been a pretty negative experience from the start except for my fabulous car (and my CA, who is really awesome) . I've bought my VWs from them and had a great experience; I'm not sure what's happened on the BMW side to make this experience so disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
marsgirl73
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyal View Post
Ask for a discount/credit ($100) or swag (cups,caps,shirts). This will at least tell you about how your dealership is run. BMW NA does not keep tight control over their dealer network . Your experience will differ from dealer to dealer. This is one of the few things I hate about BMW

edit

make sure to ding them on the customer survey if they deserve it.
Thanks-- the Sirius was really just an afterthought since I have the iPod adaptor, so I suppose if they won't deal, I'll ask for my money back. I've got an email survey to fill out-- I'm waiting until I get this taken care of before I fill it out, though.
Appreciate 0