BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
toni8284
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
Any difference between NASA and BMWCCA Driving School?

Hi,

I would like to know is there any difference between NASA and BMWCCA Driving School?

I was with NASA last year and only did 1 track and now my membership is expired. So I would like to join BMWCCA this year and join the school from BMWCCA.

Is there any difference on these 2 groups? like the track time, any special rules, instructor better/worse?

and one more question is my friends they dont drive BMWs, can they join BMWCCA Driving School?

Thanks
2014 F10 M5 LCI (SOLD)
2011 VO 1M (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
LoCore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

I'm an instructor for both NASA Rocky Mountain and Rocky Mountain Chapter BMW CCA in Colorado.

Similar topics are covered in the two programs, or any performance driving program for that matter: driving the line, consistency, track awareness, flags and safety procedures, and high performance car control.

You find differences in the emphasis on each of those items depending on where you are in the program, be it NASA HPDE 1-4 or a BMW CCA school and its various "levels" (which can vary from chapter to chapter).

What you'll find in both NASA and BMW CCA programs is an enthusiastic, dedicated group of volunteer instructors that are excited to help you have a safe and fun day, while providing individualized training appropriate to the driver's capabilities and comfort.

The rules and procedures of the day will vary in some details, but I suspect it will be mostly fine print items that won't detract from your day.

I suggest that you check with your local BMW CCA chapter and NASA region to look for details/requirements on the following items to help you make yoru assessment:

1. Required safety equipment (e.g., helmets, belts/harness restrictions, etc.)
2. Specific car allowances/restrictions (e.g., converibles, modifications, etc.)
3. Number of classroom sessions (if any)
4. Number of sessions on track

Regarding non-BMWs at BMW CCA events, they are certainly welcome at RMC BMW CCA events, including our autocross and track days. We do require that all participants be BMW CCA members.

Here in Colorado, many of our instructors are members of and volunteer for multiple clubs. You'll likely see some familiar faces regardless of where you go!

Regardless of where you choose to go, I suspect you'll have a safe and enjoyable time.

Best regards,

David Jobusch
Instructor for NASA HPDE, BMW CCA DEs, and SCCA PDX/Time Trials
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
I've done DE's with two NASA clubs, three BMW clubs, and a few others. The two NASA clubs are different, and the three BMW clubs are different. I like running with one of the NASA clubs and dislike the other. Same with the BMW clubs. I love one, like another and dislike the third. But the things I like and dislike aren't necessarily the same things you'd like or dislike. So, I recommend trying them all and see what you prefer. Sorry, best answer I could give.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
dsm 335xi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I have also done years of events with NASA and BMWCCA. The biggest difference to me between the two is NASA is a little more oriented towards working up to wheel to wheel racing.
Appreciate 0