BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
carnut17
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Question Dash/Gauges Going Crazy!!

My '08 135i Coupe had a strange problem with the gauges today. Driving down the freeway, all of a sudden I heard the warning chime, and all of the warning lights on the dashboard came on. At the same time, the speedometer and tach dropped to zero - and I was going 60 on the freeway. Then, everything went back to normal on its own for a minute, then the "freak-out" happened again, about every 30 seconds.

I pulled over, turned off the ignition, and "rebooted" the car. Now it seems fine.

The only things that are different are that it's the first hot day of the year (over 80 degrees), and I just had my windows tinted (without disassembling anything). Anyone else have this happen?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 07:03 AM   #2
Bones13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i BSM/Coral

I don't drive a 135i, and did not get window tint applied.

It has been over 80 here for a few weeks, and I do have the BMW rear and side shades. No troubles for me.

Is this how the HPFP starts to fail?
Navigation/Premium Audio/USB/iPod
Heated Seats/Xenon/Bike Prep
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones13 View Post
I don't drive a 135i, and did not get window tint applied.

It has been over 80 here for a few weeks, and I do have the BMW rear and side shades. No troubles for me.

Is this how the HPFP starts to fail?

What does ANY of that have to do with the OP's issue? You posted to comment that:
1) You don't drive the same car as the OP so you can't provide any input
2) You did not get your windows tinted so you can't comment
3) Your weather has also been over 80 degrees and have not been having an issue so you can't comment.
4) You have window shades, a product the OP does not mention and doesn't have anything to do with his issue.
5) Finished up with an inane HPFP postulation that isn't even remotely similiar to the OP's issue.

WTF. You made my morning, dude.

To the OP, sorry about the thread jack, I've never heard of this sort of thing except when I accidentally turned my engine off at highway speeds.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Perhaps something got shorted, maybe during the window tint application process? Water get into the window recesses and shorted some electrics?
      05-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
bmore135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

i had a very similar problem to this a few months ago. i had a cooler in my trunk and forgot that it was there, once the ice melted the water splashed around in the trunk and got some of the electronics wet ( i think the comfort control module) or something similar. anyways all my gauges went nuts windows rolled down/up using the button the opposite way. it was just crazy, anyways these modules are under the carpet below the pass side tail light. check for any moisture back there that may have caused it, or possibly one of them just went bad somehow.

side note. i dried my tunk out for 2 days then took the car to bmw and said i had a leaky taillight. lol so it got fixed despite me being stupid.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
MrHick
135i
Rep
Drives: 135i

Just had a same issue happened.

Spilled plastic protectant in the trunk, it was sitting in the net and leaked.
It's in the shop now and they found white protectant all over the module that crapped out.

Waiting on an estimate now.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

Yea i am betting the got some electronics wet when they sprayed the windows to set the tint. How long ago was it tinted?
Same happened to my accord last yr after i tinted it.
      05-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
MrHick
135i
Rep

Two modules got wet under the right storage bin in the trunk, where the net is.
As it got wet from the plastic protect-ant it will cost me 1300$ for two modules, install and ECU re-flash.

Is this the worst engineer'd car ever or what.
If you put the storage bin there you don't put electronics's under it.

The whole car seam like they put it together from leftover parts of other car's and did not really think of usability.

Dash is off center, usable cup-holders ?, radio screen, ............

Only thing that seam to be solid is the motor.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep

All the new BMW's i have seen have the ECU's and various electronics under the tray in the trunk.
Yes easy to reach but not the best location.
      05-26-2009, 03:24 AM   #10
goofy10
E46fanatic
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E82/E30

Weird, this exact same thing happened to me a year ago in my E92 but I never did find out what caused it. Only happened once.

E46Fanatic
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #11
MrHick
135i
Rep

Update

After changing 3 different modules and 1200$ bill.

Service guy told me that they are having a lot of issues with the new cars.
BMW is putting all the modules under the trunk and floor
After bigger rains and if the car goes trough the paddle or if you put things that re too wet and leaky in the trunk electronics are dying massively.

DON'T PUT WET SH** in the trunk or on the floor.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #12
Spartikus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twin-Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post

What does ANY of that have to do with the OP's issue? You posted to comment that:
1) You don't drive the same car as the OP so you can't provide any input
2) You did not get your windows tinted so you can't comment
3) Your weather has also been over 80 degrees and have not been having an issue so you can't comment.
4) You have window shades, a product the OP does not mention and doesn't have anything to do with his issue.
5) Finished up with an inane HPFP postulation that isn't even remotely similiar to the OP's issue.

WTF. You made my morning, dude.

To the OP, sorry about the thread jack, I've never heard of this sort of thing except when I accidentally turned my engine off at highway speeds.
I'm with you on this one. That would be very trippy to have the gauges spaz out like that though.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 11:36 PM   #13
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
This is a very serious problem...
Not only the problem itself, but how easy and inad vertantly it is to produce.

I don’t usually carry any kind of liquid in the tr unk or the floor of the cabin, but, I do on ocassi on swim, or surf.

This is problematic because I would hope transport ing a wetsuit, rash guard, and board shorts in the  trunk would not cause a short out of this n ature.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 07:38 AM   #14
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep

Yea i jet ski alot and scuba and i put my gear in the trunk.. always worried if those boxes were waterproof under the mat.. well i guess there not waterproof..
      05-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #15
mackzilla
Private
Rep
Drives: Jeeeep Wrangler Unlimited

If you're going to put wet stuff in the trunk, get the rubber waterproof trunk liner?
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2015, 10:30 PM   #16
Gtxracer
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Bump.

I had this happen this week. Rained for the past 7+ days here and the passenger trunk compartment on the right took on some water. Apparently this is common.

The passive go module had water in it and I have drained and dried it. The other small box also had a small amount of water leak in but no corrosion. The power go box had white corrosion on the bottom corner. I cleaned it off and wiped it down.

The crazy gauges stopped but I think something is still not right. It might be as simple as a fuze or resetting the dash warning lights. The red car on a lift symbol is now there, the disabled traction control icon is always on as is the parking brake light. No other lights are on but my comfort access no longer works. The car will still unlock when my keys are close but I have to insert the key in the ignition to start now.

Where should I be looking first to fix this? I am NOT going back to the dealer, they are outrageous. I am out of warranty anyway at 106k...ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 10:31 PM   #17
Gtxracer
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Pics of the modules and the water in the trunk well

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 02:42 PM   #18
Fone Phreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtxracer View Post
Bump.

I had this happen this week. Rained for the past 7+ days here and the passenger trunk compartment on the right took on some water. Apparently this is common.

The passive go module had water in it and I have drained and dried it. The other small box also had a small amount of water leak in but no corrosion. The power go box had white corrosion on the bottom corner. I cleaned it off and wiped it down.

The crazy gauges stopped but I think something is still not right. It might be as simple as a fuze or resetting the dash warning lights. The red car on a lift symbol is now there, the disabled traction control icon is always on as is the parking brake light. No other lights are on but my comfort access no longer works. The car will still unlock when my keys are close but I have to insert the key in the ignition to start now.

Where should I be looking first to fix this? I am NOT going back to the dealer, they are outrageous. I am out of warranty anyway at 106k...ideas?

this is interesting - i recently had the same dashboard gone wild issue - along with just about every check light came on as well.

it looks like all roads lead to the footwell module but of course dealer said that wasnt the case. they want to charge me $2000 diagnostic fee to remove dashboard from vehicle in order to check for a short! i couldnt make this shit up if i tried!

pulled car from dealer - dont even know where to start now
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 07:00 PM   #19
Fone Phreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

so i decided to take a look at this storage tray thing thats been mentioned in this thread. I had about 2-3 inches of water and the RDC box was filled with water. i attached a few pics.

looks like this would explain my TPMS inactive as well as the mayhem with my dash/gauge cluster

makes you wonder about how many people who aren't inclined to take the time to research this as well as disassemble vehicle/trunk etc etc get f'd over by dealers. $2k diagnosis fee to remove dashboard!!! such scumbags!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 01:45 PM   #20
RideThePigGir
Mr. Tinnitus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 BlueWaterMetallic 135 M-cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fone Phreak View Post
so i decided to take a look at this storage tray thing thats been mentioned in this thread. I had about 2-3 inches of water and the RDC box was filled with water. i attached a few pics.

looks like this would explain my TPMS inactive as well as the mayhem with my dash/gauge cluster

makes you wonder about how many people who aren't inclined to take the time to research this as well as disassemble vehicle/trunk etc etc get f'd over by dealers. $2k diagnosis fee to remove dashboard!!! such scumbags!
Did you ever figure out an actual solution for this? Running into the same issue and the stealer gave me the same response - $1.7k to replace three modules plus labor, no guarantees. Uh, yeah, thanks for the loaner and...

Do have at least a bit of extended warranty left (I think), so maybe I can wiggle things around and bring it back into a different dealership >_>
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #21
Zorthog
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Interesting... My navigation display just started turning off and on and I looked in the trunk and I have water under the carpet. Thanks for the heads up in this post everyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #22
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Mine had a similiar issue. It was the battery on it's way out. Not enough voltage. New Bat. no more problem.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0