BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-23-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

OT: Booking a flight with Cathay Pacific

Im going to HK again and have been comparing some prices from Oz. Everything I could find from the usual suspects online (Webjet etc) were all v.expensive vs booking with the actual Cathay Pacific website.

Even my travel agent couldnt come close and after I asked why she politely informed me that CX is one of the airlines these days that have absolute lowest pricing via their own website.

So there is a tip for you if you are booking a flight with Cathay.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 01:50 AM   #2
BigBoss168
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i coupe manual

Thanks for the tip, it's certainly been my experience that booking directly with CX is cheaper than going through a travel agent.

If you're flying economy, I love their new economy seats that prevent somebody from reclining into you.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

No problem. Yes economy is really good with CX on the return flight from HK...they have refurbished their A330's on these flights to Brisbane it seems (CX103). The new (3rd gen) seats and inflight entertainment are a massive improvement.

Gotta feel a bit sorry for the travel agents with the birth of the net...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

To me, these days is about offering the extra service in travel in terms of planning the trip and giving sound advice. Amex Platinum Travel have organised a few trips for me now, and they were sensational. They asked me a few questions, and they come back to me with a great trip . Been to a few travel agent, and all they care about is the ticket at the end... As you guys are saying, you can do it over the net yourself.

Thinking about going to HK, may be I should check out CX too.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

i always find it cheaper if your going to europe to only book your flight from sydney to the stopover like hk or bangkok or wherever, from an australian website or carrier as we are forced to so they can rip us off, then book the remaining legs eg; hk - london, london - hk from cathays or BA's websites in hk and pay in hk dollars. i find it alot cheaper. we get ripped off in australia. i found i could fly business from hk-london return on BA for similar money as qantas econ in off peak times.

also try to book one way to hk, then try to book a cheap business seat from cathays hk website hk to sydney, its alot cheaper sometimes, and sometimes you have to be lucky especially in peak times.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I will give that a try next time, we are planning a europe trip.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 04:47 AM   #7
rony1434
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi

Hi guys.
Last month i had a tour to europe and i got my checkin from http://www.checkmein.eu/, Its service is really good.
Earlier i faced many problems like standing for long time in queues and not getting my preferd seat.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 05:59 AM   #8
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

So what level of savings do you get by booking online? I always use a travel agent because I just tell him what I want and he does the research. He gives me the price, I pay and it's a done deal. There's always an avenue for recourse if something goes wrong. Of course I know I pay more but you can't expect a service for nothing.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
So what level of savings do you get by booking online? I always use a travel agent because I just tell him what I want and he does the research. He gives me the price, I pay and it's a done deal. There's always an avenue for recourse if something goes wrong. Of course I know I pay more but you can't expect a service for nothing.
An agent forgot to book a transfer for me from the airport to the hotel on my honeymoon. And the hotel decided that they can't take me because there's no booking, even though there is space in the shuttle.

I was advised that I should catch a taxi, which I did, and it turned out the person who says that he has a taxi isn't a taxi, and ended up scared shitless as it goes cross country until we arrive safely at the hotel.

I ended up getting an apology from the travel agent, and I was advised the person who was responsible for my booking no longer works there, and I got 50000 points with the hotel which would get us two nights on the gold coast that has unfortunately lapsed as we didn't travel again for 12 months to where they have a hotel.

I now check through all my itineraries, and often have to still find solutions as most of the time they don't think outside of the square to get the right flight. Despite the fact that the NZ trip was fantastic, I was originally booked for a evening flight from Brisbane to Christchurch which arrives at 12am on a 1 week trip. I ended up still have to do the work on finding a morning flight for the agent.

May be I should find a better agent .
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Thanks for the heads up. I am going back for the LONG holiday Xmas this year.

The only good thing about my travel agent is that she will call me when some deal is on. So I won't miss it.

Last time I went back in Oct I paid $930 return (tax inc.). But I had to pay upfront in Aug.

Also, if you make trip as regular as me. Buying from HKG to MEL return is much cheaper than MEL to HKG return.

To go to Hong Kong now there is a cheaper undirect way to go. Have not try Viva Macau yet but my wife's cousin said it is ok. They offer $780 return during Xmas but Cathay is over $1200.
      01-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Hrm, interesting. We're flying to Cheng Du via Singapore in June, might try Cathay next trip.

If anyone's after a good travel agent in Brisbane I'd recommend mine. PM me if you want details.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 12:37 AM   #12
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I only go back on a as need basis. What I found when I first look at the tread was you pay a cheaper price from HKG, and you get a 12 months fare.
Appreciate 0