BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-16-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
Lukkyphil
Paddleslapper
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5 aka The Tractor

About to Order - and opinions on the HiFi Pro Option

Hi Guys

Great forum, been pretty useful for research (the HPFP issues are not enough to scare me off this car). I am in Perth and have driven a demo 135i coupe twice now, and am currently doing the trade-in/option dance negotiations, and then preparing for a 4-5 month wait :-(

I have pretty much decided on a manual Sapphire Black, with black interior and Brushed Aluminium highlights. Not really keen on too many optional gadgets as they are more things to go wrong or annoy me. I am seriously considering the HiFi System Professional which is a $2,080 option. In my current HSV I have upgraded the standard stereo with and Alpine Processor unit, AMP, MB Quartz Speakers and Rockford Fosgate Sub - I got zero change out of $2K for this, although it does sound pretty decent.

I can not be shagged with the whole aftermarket stereo thing and the (strange hissing noises that need to be sorted out) unless the BMW sound option is not up to scratch - unfortunately I am unable to listen to one in a demo at the dealer, so my question is - who has got got this on their car? Are you happy with the sound/reliability of the system?

Cheers
Phil
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 04:32 AM   #2
ExREX
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i & x3 30d

i understand that the top of the range option these days ($2k upgrade) is logic 7. I need to check how much i paid and can tell you if it's worth it in a months time. From all of the feedback that i got it will be as good as if not better than any other factory fitted system (except maybe Lexus?). I also understand that aftermarket upgrades are a bit of a pain in the 1 series. Note if you look at the US blogs their standard system is not the same as ours i think i think one stepup.
Greg
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Welcome to the 1addicts support group, satisfying all your delivery time waiting needs

Both stereo options are good, I have the 10spkr system and a mate has the full kit, both are good it just depends on what you want to spend. I'll probably fit an Alpine amp in my boot shortly to give myself some more mid-range clarity but that's being very picky and either way you can't go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
It sounds like you've lined yourself up quite a nice car. The only advice I'd have is to ask some other 1'ers about the brushed aluminium interior highlights. I believe it can scratch quite easily.

As for the stereo, I don't think you can go wrong either way.
      12-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

When you guys say brushed aluminum do you mean the textured aluminum? I only have seen one option for it and it has those bumps on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
thehaloboy
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp G80

I have a brushed alloy in my 08 135i. My 2010 will have the patterned alloy, as I found brushed scratched fairly easy.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
The "patterned" aluminium is called Glacier I think. I've got it in my car and given it a few big belts with my watch and other things and hasn't got the slightest mark on it.
      12-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
Lukkyphil
Paddleslapper
Australia
Rep

The demo I drove had the patterned Aluminium (Glacier Silver), I don't mind it but the SWMB/fashion advisor/colour consultant reckons its "ugly", and that the brushed alumnium looks better.

If the brushed aluminium aint that durable though I am not so sure I should go down that path. I was also considering the Lemon interior with the Poplar gray trim, was just not sure how it would go on resale as I am doing a 3 year novated lease, and any shortfall on residual I prefer not to wear (like I am with this HSV).

Sounds like the Hifi Pro system is a goer though.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
Lukkyphil
Paddleslapper
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
Welcome to the 1addicts support group, satisfying all your delivery time waiting needs
You nailed that, after driving the 135 hopping back in to the HSV, the first thing I notice are the seats being nowehere near as good, then you notice clunks and rattles, and how agricultural it feels.

Gonna be a long five months.....
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukkyphil View Post
The demo I drove had the patterned Aluminium (Glacier Silver), I don't mind it but the SWMB/fashion advisor/colour consultant reckons its "ugly", and that the brushed alumnium looks better.

If the brushed aluminium aint that durable though I am not so sure I should go down that path. I was also considering the Lemon interior with the Poplar gray trim, was just not sure how it would go on resale as I am doing a 3 year novated lease, and any shortfall on residual I prefer not to wear (like I am with this HSV).

Sounds like the Hifi Pro system is a goer though.
I have the brushed aluminium, and with one exception, have had no problems with it. The one problem I did have was my fault, I scratched the door handle cover with a cuff link when leaning down to push the button to open the boot. It couldn't be buffed out, it was a fairly deep scratch. I was told by the panel guy that I asked to try to buff it out that the anodizing layer (that has the brushed pattern) is VERY thin. So I ended up replacing the door handle cover.

Since then, I'm more careful, and no issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I have the Hi-fi Professional 10 speaker sound system but not the logic 7. It was roughly $1100 if I remember correctly. I believe there are 3 variants, the standard 6 speaker, the Hi-fi Professional 10 speaker, and the Hi-fi Professional 10 speaker with Logic 7. The US spec has our Hi-fi Professional 10 speaker system as standard but it was dropped in 2010 models.

I've had aftermarket sound systems in all of my previous cars. I've spent thousands before but this time I couldn't be bothered with going down this route and I prefer the OEM look. The $1100 upgrade seems perfect to me, it's not the best sound system but for a factory upgrade I'm very satisfied. I don't see the need for anything aftermarket anymore.

Also, I believe BMW is offering an Alpine Sound System which can be retrofitted to the car later on and it's roughly $1000 as well. I think it fits somewhere between the Hi-fi Professional 10 speaker and the Logic 7. I personally would go down this route and you won't be paying unnecessary Lux Tax on factory options.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Also, I believe BMW is offering an Alpine Sound System which can be retrofitted to the car later on and it's roughly $1000 as well. I think it fits somewhere between the Hi-fi Professional 10 speaker and the Logic 7. I personally would go down this route and you won't be paying unnecessary Lux Tax on factory options.
$1300 Xmas present for my 1er.

I am not sure about Hi-Fi professional but it is definitely not as good as the Logic 7 in a 325i, although it is very close to a Logic 7 and a huge improvement from standard.
      12-16-2009, 11:54 PM   #13
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

I purchased the top hi-fi logic7 and could not be happier with it if that's any help. It's certainly be best hi-fi sound system I've ever had in a car.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 12:06 AM   #14
King Size
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: LMB 118d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRX View Post
The only advice I'd have is to ask some other 1'ers about the brushed aluminium interior highlights. I believe it can scratch quite easily.
I have the brushed aluminium with accent line option and i've always wondered what people get up to in their cars that this could get scratched I don't think i've ever touched it except with my hands and a cloth, so don't see how it could scratch... Maybe i'm just careful

Having said that, a previous company car that I had for a while had severe scratching near the gear lever (not the trim in question, as it wasn't a BMW) and i can only assume it came from a chunky metal chain or similar?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #15
King Size
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ View Post
When you guys say brushed aluminum do you mean the textured aluminum? I only have seen one option for it and it has those bumps on it.
I don't think the USA gets (or at least never used to) the brushed aluminium with accent line option. The one with the bumps on it is called Glacier Silver.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 02:33 AM   #16
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExREX View Post
i understand that the top of the range option these days ($2k upgrade) is logic 7. I need to check how much i paid and can tell you if it's worth it in a months time. From all of the feedback that i got it will be as good as if not better than any other factory fitted system (except maybe Lexus?). I also understand that aftermarket upgrades are a bit of a pain in the 1 series. Note if you look at the US blogs their standard system is not the same as ours i think i think one stepup.
Greg
It is a simulated logic 7 (as the 1er doesn't have a centre speaker). You can get a better system with 2k, but you won't have it integrated. Much improvement over the e4 harmon kardon that I had, sound is well balanced after playing with the eq a bit, and base is okay. Turning it up a little bit show its flaws especially if you like clean bass, and the resolution and amplification is definitely not as good as what I had in my CRV - but that's a 3600 system - with no rear speakers, and I could never got it balanced. Compare to a home system - well, it's no way near as good as the Zeppelin - which is only around $1000 - but I think the Zeppelin actually sounds a lot better than the $1000 price tag.

Overall, I am quite happy with the system, not quite the Mark Levison on the Lexus, but really, the Mark Levison on the Lexus is no way near the real Mark Levison anyway. The main thing I like is that it is integrated, and you can't really get that from after market install (bbk may argue that ). I have given a much fuller review in a previous post somewhere in time. .

You are paying more, but that's the price you pay for having things integrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRX View Post
It sounds like you've lined yourself up quite a nice car. The only advice I'd have is to ask some other 1'ers about the brushed aluminium interior highlights. I believe it can scratch quite easily.

As for the stereo, I don't think you can go wrong either way.
I have no problem with the brushed aluminium with the accent strip. I was going to change it to CF, until I saw it in the flesh on delivery and actually much prefer it than CF. You do get a bit of glare in the afternoon though.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #17
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Size View Post
I have the brushed aluminium with accent line option and i've always wondered what people get up to in their cars that this could get scratched I don't think i've ever touched it except with my hands and a cloth, so don't see how it could scratch... Maybe i'm just careful

Having said that, a previous company car that I had for a while had severe scratching near the gear lever (not the trim in question, as it wasn't a BMW) and i can only assume it came from a chunky metal chain or similar?
In my case, it was very simple, I reached down to push the boot-release button, and my metal cuff-link scratched the piece on the door grab handle. It was pretty deep, not just a surface scratch in the patterning, but deep enought to physically gouge the metal.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2009, 11:14 PM   #18
King Size
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
In my case, it was very simple, I reached down to push the boot-release button, and my metal cuff-link scratched the piece on the door grab handle. It was pretty deep, not just a surface scratch in the patterning, but deep enought to physically gouge the metal.
Understood, luckily the only jewelery I wear is a watch.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #19
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
It is a simulated logic 7 (as the 1er doesn't have a centre speaker). You can get a better system with 2k, but you won't have it integrated. Much improvement over the e4 harmon kardon that I had, sound is well balanced after playing with the eq a bit, and base is okay. Turning it up a little bit show its flaws especially if you like clean bass, and the resolution and amplification is definitely not as good as what I had in my CRV - but that's a 3600 system - with no rear speakers, and I could never got it balanced. Compare to a home system - well, it's no way near as good as the Zeppelin - which is only around $1000 - but I think the Zeppelin actually sounds a lot better than the $1000 price tag.

Overall, I am quite happy with the system, not quite the Mark Levison on the Lexus, but really, the Mark Levison on the Lexus is no way near the real Mark Levison anyway. The main thing I like is that it is integrated, and you can't really get that from after market install (bbk may argue that ). I have given a much fuller review in a previous post somewhere in time. .

You are paying more, but that's the price you pay for having things integrated.

I have no problem with the brushed aluminium with the accent strip. I was going to change it to CF, until I saw it in the flesh on delivery and actually much prefer it than CF. You do get a bit of glare in the afternoon though.
Do you have any EQ settings for the top line hifi anywhere? I'm using bone stock at the moment but if i can make it sound better why not.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #20
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post
Do you have any EQ settings for the top line hifi anywhere? I'm using bone stock at the moment but if i can make it sound better why not.
Will post my settings, about to head to work, but there's one on the forum I believe as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 07:40 AM   #21
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Hey Phil and welcome

If you're keen on sound, then don't hold back - i'd suggest going with the full Logic7 upgrade.

Myself, I don't really mind. I have the stock standard sound system and it's perfect for my needs (Dire Straits on the freeway ). I will say that I was suprised with the clarity and quality of sound from the standard system. Don't forget you also got a Coupe, so the inside room is smaller, reducing the need for a high-power system, but increasing the need for a clear one; hence Logic 7 is my suggestion.

To be honest, with the golf tee mod, all my music is coming from my exhaust and under the bonnet and that's better than ANY retail music!

Welcome again, and to second mattyv's comments, we're here to satisfy all your waiting period needs

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #22
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

I used these E92 iDrive/Logic7 settings.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...sound+settings
Appreciate 0