BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Track advice

Went to my first DE today. I had an absolute blast and learned a lot. I noticed a lot of brake fade so I put new fluid in (blue stuff) and it helped but want brakes that wont fade. What pads would you suggest and are the ti shims helpful?

Also has anyone made a cooling duct like berk did and please post the link to the diy as I couldnt find it.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
Went to my first DE today. I had an absolute blast and learned a lot. I noticed a lot of brake fade so I put new fluid in (blue stuff) and it helped but want brakes that wont fade. What pads would you suggest and are the ti shims helpful?

Also has anyone made a cooling duct like berk did and please post the link to the diy as I couldnt find it.
Are you sure you got brake fade ? You said it is your 1st DE, I can't imagine you were THAT fast/pushing. Hence, I am imagining you are braking into the turns which is over heating -gradually increasing braking on braking zone-. Try making your initial braking hard when your brakes are colder.
      06-07-2010, 06:07 AM   #3
onefastman
Major General
Rep

I assure you, it was fade. I was not braking into turns, if I were I would be in a tire wall lol. I was braking hard on the strait and entering the turn off the brakes.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 06:41 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Onefastman... perhaps it was a combination of two things. Brake pads that were never really bedded in... and old brake fluid that boiled.

Before replacing the pads.... I would (sugest) you just changed your brake fluid to some "good stuff". Super DOT-4. Then re-test and see what you think. I would also use a braked fluid that has no tint/color to it. For less hassles from BMW.

Most likely IF you get hooked on track days your rotors and pads will be gone soon anyways! :")
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
onefastman
Major General
Rep

Oh I assure you, I am hooked lol

I changed my fluid the 2nd day and it felt much better but as I pushed it harder than I did the 1st day I could feel fade. I was under the impression that super blue or what ever it is called is good stuff, is this not so?

I am looking into some slightly used rotors for what ever track pads I buy, what would you suggest?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

ATE Super Blue works well.

I've driven many track days (and many in my 1er), and I also find it unlikely that you got much noticeable brake fade, unless you were not aggressive enough on that middle pedal. If you feather the brake, as you are approaching a braking zone, you'll easily cook your brakes. It happens to most novices, so you are not alone. (and most swear they didn't do it)

Also, what are the chances that you need to bleed your brakes again? You can easily introduce microbubbles into the line. When replacing the OEM fluid with the ATE, you should have gone through at least 1.5 liters.. and worked from Right Rear, Left Rear, Right Front, Left Front.

I use a full liter just for the right rear.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
onefastman
Major General
Rep

I had an instructor with me who was one of the most expierenced and he was on top of it. Really 1.5L? I used a liter and bled untill it was very blue. I had someone help me who knew what they were doing and we did work in the proper order.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Ruffan
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
so to answer the question: I've tried a number of combinations and what I'm using now seems to work very well for me. Note that my tispeed titanium shims arrived today and are not yet on my car.

I am using Hawk DTC70 front pads and DTC60 rear pads. So as not to have to bed my brake pads every time I change them, I am also using a second set of stock front rotors which are matched to my track pads. I use ATE Super Blue and alternate with type 200 amber (same DOT 4 formula, different color).

I am a relatively experienced HPDE driver and drive in advanced groups with Porsche GT3's and all of the other fast cars that advanced drivers have. After my most recent, long day of track driving I can say that I didn't experience any brake fade with this setup. I do think I may have gotten enough heat in the brakes to boil the fluid slightly during one particularly long session, but hopefully the tispeed shims will cure this.

Hope this helps.
      06-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
onefastman
Major General
Rep

Great, just what I wanted to know.

Who sells the hawks at the lowest price?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
david @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hawk pads can be noisy at times on the street. For the best performance on the track to lower your brake fade, and to have great pads for street, Cool Carbon is the way to go. I would suggest trying them out to see how you like them, and on top of that, maybe add some stainless steel lines to eliminate brake fade as much as possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #11
onefastman
Major General
Rep

I am still deciding if I want track pads or pads that will work for street and track. Cool carbon is on the top of my list for the ladder but it seems that hawk is best for the former.

Jurrian, what do you think about hawk?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
david @ eas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am still deciding if I want track pads or pads that will work for street and track. Cool carbon is on the top of my list for the ladder but it seems that hawk is best for the former.

Jurrian, what do you think about hawk?
The coefficient of friction on the Cool Carbon pads are higher than the Hawk pads... Maybe when the Cool Carbon pads are cool instead of warmed up, sure there might be a good comparison, but even then do the Cool Carbon pads stop your car quicker.

Once the Cool Carbon pads heat up they actually have a much higher coefficient of friction meaning you get greater stopping power out of your car. Normally that sways people to go with Cool carbon, but like I said, I've had experience with Hawk pads squealing on the street.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
onefastman
Major General
Rep

Pm me with price
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #14
david @ eas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pm me with price
Sure thing. PM coming shortly.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurrian @ eas View Post
maybe add some stainless steel lines to eliminate brake fade as much as possible.
No. Stainless steel lines will have absolutely no effect on brake fade.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #16
bradford
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurrian @ eas View Post
The coefficient of friction on the Cool Carbon pads are higher than the Hawk pads...
Hawk makes at least ten different pad compounds. Which one are you comparing the CC pads to?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #17
onefastman
Major General
Rep

Very good to know, which ones?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #18
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
I think the real question is:

Are you planning to change pads for the track with a dedicated set of track pads, or are you going to run the pads on the street as well? I think this would be a major decider on which pads are right for you.

I currently have CC pads on my car. On the street and for auto-x they have been excellent (there are several threads on here with other's experience as well), but if you are getting a dedicated track set there may be much more aggressive and properly tuned pads for this. I can't speak for HPDE, but I would guess being a Street/Track pad they will work, but probably not as good as a dedicated track pad. Once you know what the primary use will be then you can make a better decision.

My .02

Tim
      06-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #19
onefastman
Major General
Rep

Thats what I said I was on the fence about so I wanted to hear some opinions as to how much better the track pads are to help me decide if it is worth it or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #20
onefastman
Major General
Rep

Has anyone run Coolcarbon pads and the Ti shims?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #21
bradford
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thats what I said I was on the fence about so I wanted to hear some opinions as to how much better the track pads are to help me decide if it is worth it or not.
In a word: infinitely.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #22
onefastman
Major General
Rep

Yes but give me your thoughts, how much better are say DTC-70 vs. cool carbon?
Appreciate 0