BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
pick333
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW series 1 135i

trunk won't open

My trunk will not open. I have comfort access, and the fob works on the doors, just not the trunk. I tried opening the trunk with the button on the fob and by pushing the button inside the car, both with the car running and with it off. There is a large bag in the trunk. Anyone else dealt with this?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
CRuben09
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick333
My trunk will not open. I have comfort access, and the fob works on the doors, just not the trunk. I tried opening the trunk with the button on the fob and by pushing the button inside the car, both with the car running and with it off. There is a large bag in the trunk. Anyone else dealt with this?
Did you checked the switch in the glove box? There is a switch to further lock the trunk in the left side of the glove box compartment. Try that

2011 135i Alpine White DCT N55 All Stock
Built on 10/10 Proud owner since 12/12.
Appreciate 3
      01-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
pick333
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRuben09 View Post
Did you checked the switch in the glove box? There is a switch to further lock the trunk in the left side of the glove box compartment. Try that
Thanks so much! That was the problem. I was messing with the glove compartment a few days ago, because I'm going to wire my radar detector to the fuse box. I must have accidently hit that switch. I had an appointment set up with the dealer, because he had no clue what it could be, when I called service. You saved me a lot of trouble. This is an example of why this forum is so great, especially because people like you are willing to help. Now I remember reading that you use that lock, for example, if you don't trust the valet (I've never used one.) Thanks again.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
pick333
Private
Rep

[

Last edited by pick333; 01-24-2014 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick333 View Post
Glad you found a simple solution in the switch in the glove box having been set to the lock position, but I have experienced this problem where the glove box switch was not in the lock position and have read of others who've experienced this.

It occurs inconsistently, most of the time opening on the first press of the open button on the trunk lid, but every so often refusing to without several presses. In all cases the fob was in my pocket.

The most extreme incident occurred on a trip when, after several presses of the lid button being unsuccessful, I tried the fob button and the trunk open button near the left side door jam, and neither would work. At this point I'm thinking I will be spending the day finding a nearby dealer to resolve the issue so I can load my luggage for the trip home!

Thinking of things to try, I cycled the vehicle from 'on' (including engine start) to 'off', and finally the trunk lid opened when pressing the lid button.

Since then, I've noticed that it seems as if the issue may occur when using my right hand rather than my left hand. I don't think it has anything to do with which hand, but with the fob usually in my left pants pocket, my stance when using my right hand places the fob just a bit further from the car. I've read observations elsewhere that the vehicle is finicky with the position of the fob relative to the car so perhaps that's the issue.

As far as the experience on the aforementioned trip, it occurs to me the system may lock out opening after some number of failed attempts as a security measure, reset with cycling the vehicle on and off with the dash mounted power button. A so far unproven theory.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
CRuben09
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick333
Quote:
Thanks so much! That was the problem. I was messing with the glove compartment a few days ago, because I'm going to wire my radar detector to the fuse box. I must have accidently hit that switch. I had an appointment set up with the dealer, because he had no clue what it could be, when I called service. You saved me a lot of trouble. This is an example of why this forum is so great, especially because people like you are willing to help. Now I remember reading that you use that lock, for example, if you don't trust the valet (I've never used one.) Thanks again.
I'm glad it was only that. I'm happy I was able to help you! I hate those that are only in the forums to bully around.

Be safe!

2011 135i Alpine White DCT N55 All Stock
Built on 10/10 Proud owner since 12/12.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
... It occurs inconsistently, most of the time opening on the first press of the open button on the trunk lid, but every so often refusing to without several presses...Thinking of things to try, I cycled the vehicle from 'on' (including engine start) to 'off', and finally the trunk lid opened when pressing the lid button.
Reported this ongoing issue with my 2011 135i to my dealer during my VANOS Bolt recall today, and they could not reproduce or seek DTC error regarding the intermittent Trunk solenoid failure. Kind of aggravating and embarrasing when this happens with someone in the car.

No lock or manual bypass to open the trunk - Nice design BMW!
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
I ran into this last weekend while trying to open the trunk at a bar for my friend to get something out of it. I left the glove box open after getting something out of it from the passenger side of the vehicle, didn't close it, and the trunk wouldn't pop with the remote nor the button in the car. I was baffled for all of about 2 mins. until my knowledge or European car quirks just kicked in and I thought "I bet my bank account that closing the glove box will allow me to open the trunk for some odd reason" and sure enough...
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #9
ohyesboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i convertible

Have similar issue, turns out it's the convertible top

The top was not fully retracted, that caused the trunk not open for me. Just press the close button for longer to make sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 07:58 PM   #10
blnk-128
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

My issue was the glovebox was closed, but not fully engaged with the latch. For some reason, if the glovebox is open you cannot open the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 08:13 PM   #11
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

I'm glad my 2008 has a manual key lock for the trunk. I think that was deleted in the 2010 and later.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2023, 10:11 PM   #12
brake-fade
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i, 6sp MT, Koni, Swift

Quote:
Too funny! I have owned my car for 10 years and put 210k miles on it and never knew about that button! 🤣
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 01:49 PM   #13
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i MSport 6MT

interesting 'feature' - never knew about this one either! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 03:38 PM   #14
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

It's called the valet switch. Turn the switch on in the glove box, and lock it with the manual key. Leave your fob with the valet, but remove the manual key insert. Your trunk is secure. They will never find the USB drive with the $million dollar bitcoin!

Of course, the glove box can be pried open easily with a pry bar. Then the valet could disable the valet switch and òpen the trunk regardless.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 08:19 AM   #15
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i M-Sport coupe

Where is this switch in the glovebox? I don't think I have one in my 2013 128i coupe?

Wow, I found the switch as described. I had never noticed this over the now 7 years of ownership. It might be because I've only accessed the glovebox from the driver's seat, not the ideal position to see the switch. Now I know!!
E9x M3 front & rear suspension arms; BMW Performance brakes upgraded to drilled rotors in rear; BMW performance shifter; BMW Performance Exhaust; Wave Trac LSD with modified 'nannies'; BMW Euro Intake box; BMW Aluminum Strut Tower bar; ECS front and rear sway bars; 3 stage intake with BPC software; BMW style 78, 17 x 8" wheels with Bridgestone RE 980AS 225/45-17 tires; Koni Special Active struts/shocks, E9x M3 RTABs.

Last edited by MAMSport; 03-28-2023 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: updated
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 01:28 PM   #16
Andrewwoodley
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e88 120d convertible

Do you have any photos of the location as I've had a look and I can't seem to find it
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 11:57 PM   #17
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

It's in the owner's manual under luggage compartment - locking
Attached Images

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2023, 02:42 PM   #18
Andrewwoodley
Registered
Rep

On my 2013 bmw e88 I don't have the valet switch in my glove box or the butten on driverside (uk) what else would cause boot not to open on key fob or boot release button on boot
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 03:41 PM   #19
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewwoodley View Post
On my 2013 bmw e88 I don't have the valet switch in my glove box or the butten on driverside (uk) what else would cause boot not to open on key fob or boot release button on boot
Maybe it's not getting power? Of course the battery is in the trunk and hard to get to if it's dead. Are all the other electrical items working?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 02:46 AM   #20
BimmerxVision
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 128i, 1989 E30 325ix

Garage List
1989 BMW 325IX  [8.75]
2011 BMW 128i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
Glad you found a simple solution in the switch in the glove box having been set to the lock position, but I have experienced this problem where the glove box switch was not in the lock position and have read of others who've experienced this.

It occurs inconsistently, most of the time opening on the first press of the open button on the trunk lid, but every so often refusing to without several presses. In all cases the fob was in my pocket.

The most extreme incident occurred on a trip when, after several presses of the lid button being unsuccessful, I tried the fob button and the trunk open button near the left side door jam, and neither would work. At this point I'm thinking I will be spending the day finding a nearby dealer to resolve the issue so I can load my luggage for the trip home!

Thinking of things to try, I cycled the vehicle from 'on' (including engine start) to 'off', and finally the trunk lid opened when pressing the lid button.

Since then, I've noticed that it seems as if the issue may occur when using my right hand rather than my left hand. I don't think it has anything to do with which hand, but with the fob usually in my left pants pocket, my stance when using my right hand places the fob just a bit further from the car. I've read observations elsewhere that the vehicle is finicky with the position of the fob relative to the car so perhaps that's the issue.

As far as the experience on the aforementioned trip, it occurs to me the system may lock out opening after some number of failed attempts as a security measure, reset with cycling [...]
There is indeed coding that supports extra vehicle security for the central locking system I’ve used the Carly tool to code out the auto locking features since I found it annoying but times and locking sequence can all be adjusted from the Carly tool.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 03:50 AM   #21
Andrewwoodley
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Maybe it's not getting power? Of course the battery is in the trunk and hard to get to if it's dead. Are all the other electrical items working?

All the other electrical items work just not the boot it was working when I got the car in October last year but ever since then its not worked but I've one more thing go try out and its the boot Sullinoid then if don't fix gonna put it into bmw garage
Appreciate 0