BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
RWD4Life
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (MG 6MT)

From PCD to Boston

Has anyone ever done the trip from the Performance Center Delivery to Boston? Are there any interesting things to see/do on the trip back to Boston?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
Guardian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, 135is#190/586 (SOLD)

When are you taking delivery at PCD?

Depending on the way you want to drive back, the amount of time you have, and the time of year, that will give you a few different options. Also depends on what kind of scenery you enjoy and what you would consider interesting.

From spring through fall, going from PCD to Ashville, NC, and then all the way up the Blue Ridge Pkwy and Skyline Drive is a wonderful drive with incredible scenery (especially in the fall). Can't do it in winter due to closures along the way for snow in the mountains.

If you like civil war or revolutionary war history, taking a bit of a detour to go through eastern North Carolina and eastern/central Virginia with let you see battlefields and other historic markers and sites. Then you go through Maryland up to central PA and drive to Gettysburg and then up through Amish country to central NY on up to western Mass.

I could go on but it would all depend on the factors mentioned earlier.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
RWD4Life
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (MG 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Guardian View Post
When are you taking delivery at PCD?

Depending on the way you want to drive back, the amount of time you have, and the time of year, that will give you a few different options. Also depends on what kind of scenery you enjoy and what you would consider interesting.

From spring through fall, going from PCD to Ashville, NC, and then all the way up the Blue Ridge Pkwy and Skyline Drive is a wonderful drive with incredible scenery (especially in the fall). Can't do it in winter due to closures along the way for snow in the mountains.

If you like civil war or revolutionary war history, taking a bit of a detour to go through eastern North Carolina and eastern/central Virginia with let you see battlefields and other historic markers and sites. Then you go through Maryland up to central PA and drive to Gettysburg and then up through Amish country to central NY on up to western Mass.

I could go on but it would all depend on the factors mentioned earlier.
Thanks for your advices. My delivery is planned for 3/18 and my trip should be 3 days long.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

The weather will dictate the trip. In mid-March, you could run into nasty late winter, or pleasant early springtime.

If it's nice, the mountain drive would be a lot of fun. If it's crappy, you'll want to get out near the coast, but get bored with a long I-95 drive.

Where I live, almost in the exact center of PA, we often still have leftover anti-skid material scattered on the back roads at that time. Stone chips are not a fun way to start life with a new car.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 02:15 AM   #5
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Tail of the dragon & the Blue Ridge Parkway.
      12-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Guardian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, 135is#190/586 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD4Life View Post
Thanks for your advices. My delivery is planned for 3/18 and my trip should be 3 days long.
Then I would suggest you play the weather by ear, but look toward doing what smellthebeans and I both suggested: head over to the Cherokee or Asheville and jump onto the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Take that to Skyline Drive, and then get off in Front Royal, VA. That will take pretty much a whole day (about 600 miles worth of driving after leaving PCD). From Front Royal you can go to a whole host of places. If you are feeling brave, you can take I-66 to Washington DC, find a place to park and go see some sights, or head to any number of roads and destinations between DC and Mass.

Good luck, and make the most of the drive back, because by the time you get back to Boston, you will probably be close to or over the break in mileage, and then you can really have fun with the car
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Guardian View Post
Then I would suggest you play the weather by ear, but look toward doing what smellthebeans and I both suggested: head over to the Cherokee or Asheville and jump onto the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Take that to Skyline Drive, and then get off in Front Royal, VA. That will take pretty much a whole day (about 600 miles worth of driving after leaving PCD). From Front Royal you can go to a whole host of places. If you are feeling brave, you can take I-66 to Washington DC, find a place to park and go see some sights, or head to any number of roads and destinations between DC and Mass.

Good luck, and make the most of the drive back, because by the time you get back to Boston, you will probably be close to or over the break in mileage, and then you can really have fun with the car
+1 on Skyline drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

If you want to stay near the northern end of the blueridge parkway I really liked the Osceola Mill B&B. They have a website.