BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
HawkIS
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW 135i M Sport

18's vs 19's

I've had my 1er for only a few weeks now, and I am looking at getting some wheels. Most likely the V703, but I'm also considering the V710's and V718's. I was planning on getting 19's, but it seems like most are getting 18's on this car. Am I crazy to want 19's?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 08:58 PM   #2
Ultimateone
OG E46Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 24 Champ White CTR

IMO, I think 19's are slight too big for our cars and well in my area where I live 19's wouldn't last too long with the tires you usually have to run.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Not crazy at all. Hard to find wheels that look good on these cars though. Be picky and don't settle.
      03-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimateone View Post
IMO, I think 19's are slight too big for our cars and well in my area where I live 19's wouldn't last too long with the tires you usually have to run.
I agree that 19" wheels on any 1-series are a bit too large, but that's my opinion. The added sidewall of a 18" tire/wheel gives a little added cushion for rough roads.

I can't guarantee you will like an 18" wheel... I've always said you can get a good look at a t-bone steak by sticking your head up a butchers ass but ...it's gotta be your bull..

How do you know these wheel vendors aren't crazy glue sniffers...build models air planes says the little fairy.. well I'm not buying it. Next thing you know you've bought a set of wheels, all your money is missing off your dresser and your daughter's knocked up... I've seen it a hundred times.

For your sake and your daughter's sake wouldn't you rather buy a quality 18" wheel from one of the reputable vendors here on the forum. If you want a guarantee I can take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed... I've got time.

I digress. The choice is yours.
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 02:47 AM   #5
Joe_435i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkIS View Post
I've had my 1er for only a few weeks now, and I am looking at getting some wheels. Most likely the V703, but I'm also considering the V710's and V718's. I was planning on getting 19's, but it seems like most are getting 18's on this car. Am I crazy to want 19's?
I'm in the same predicament. I think I'm going to go 19" V710's. I think it does depend on where you live and the quality of the roads your mainly going to be driving on. Being in San Diego, the roads involved in my daily driving aren't bad at all so I'm going with 19". If I lived in LA i'd probably go 18" with all the potholes and constant construction.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 08:24 AM   #6
HawkIS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82MSport
Quote:
I agree that 19" wheels on any 1-series are a bit too large, but that's my opinion. The added sidewall of a 18" tire/wheel gives a little added cushion for rough roads.

I can't guarantee you will like an 18" wheel... I've always said you can get a good look at a t-bone steak by sticking your head up a butchers ass but ...it's gotta be your bull..

How do you know these wheel vendors aren't crazy glue sniffers...build models air planes says the little fairy.. well I'm not buying it. Next thing you know you've bought a set of wheels, all your money is missing off your dresser and your daughter's knocked up... I've seen it a hundred times.

For your sake and your daughter's sake wouldn't you rather buy a quality 18" wheel from one of the reputable vendors here on the forum. If you want a guarantee I can take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed... I've got time.

Ha! Thanks for the great Tommy Boy quotes. One of my favorites.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
HawkIS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkIS View Post
I'm in the same predicament. I think I'm going to go 19" V710's. I think it does depend on where you live and the quality of the roads your mainly going to be driving on. Being in San Diego, the roads involved in my daily driving aren't bad at all so I'm going with 19". If I lived in LA i'd probably go 18" with all the potholes and constant construction.
I live in a city where the roads are really good, and all the cities around me have pretty good roads as well. If that is the major reason people are going with 18's, I think 19's may be the way to go for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Dilmorecg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

I prefer the look of 19's on our cars...It fills up the wheel wells better imho. I ended up going with 18's because I couldnt find the wheels I wanted in a high enough offset and living in the city the roads are too rough for 19's. Ill probably go 19 with my next set of wheels.
      03-25-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I think you have to lower your suspension to make 19s look a little less too big. Unlowered they are awkward to me.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 08:42 AM   #10
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82MSport
Quote:

I don't know how you do it in Buckley County but here on one addicts we use quality 18" wheels.
Appreciate 0