BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
135ITT
Private
Rep
Drives: SGM08

pinging too much

My car being pingng a lot after hpfp recall. plus now and then car will get half engine light at low rpm rolling 25mph service engine light come on and half engine light. found my air filter pretty clod up. I don't they change the filter out. it been only a month.cleaned best i can the car hasn't had any problems
since. but still ping a lot, i'll try run high octane still ping, maybe it time change spark plugs. anyone having pinging problem and solve it.
      08-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
thebigragu99
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135 tuorbbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135ITT View Post
My car being pingng a lot after hpfp recall. plus now and then car will get half engine light at low rpm rolling 25mph service engine light come on and half engine light. found my air filter pretty clod up. I don't they change the filter out. it been only a month.cleaned best i can the car hasn't had any problems
since. but still ping a lot, i'll try run high octane still ping, maybe it time change spark plugs. anyone having pinging problem and solve it.
Not to be a jerk,but you should read over your post it sounds like a little kid wrote it..now,as far as your car goes,what do you mean it'S pinging ?? How do you know this??
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
stpijb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Im going to take it that you mean knocking. If your running the highest octane gas from the pump take it back to the dealer. They need to figure out whats making it knock. Your ECU isnt working correctly. And please read your post over. I can Barely understand what your asking.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
1. Unless you are still in the complimentary maintenance plan they are not going to replace the air filter for you. Even if you are, I doubt they will replace it unless you are at the specified maintenance interval. If it's dirty, get a new one.

2. I'm not trying to be mean here, but you do know the 135i requires at least 91 octane? (As calculated here in the US) If you're running anything lower than that, then you're going to ping. It's nothing wrong with the car and everything wrong with the octane.

3. If you're getting SES lights after the dealer worked on your car, why wouldn't you immediately take the car back? The computer definitely knows something is up if it's giving you the indication that something is wrong.

4. I don't know if English is your primary language or not, but if it is, Please use proper English. There are going to be a lot of people that won't even respond to ill-formatted grammar. If it's not your primary language, then please ignore because you speak English better than just about any other language that I speak
      08-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
I believe English is not your native language, so I won't make a big deal out of it.

Honestly, why come on here and ask a question like this, when it's clear what you should be doing. You NEED to take your car back to the dealer, explain what is happening, and have them fix it.

A clean air filter is always important to the running of your engine.
A dirty air filter is not going to cause engine ping/knock.
If anything, IF the air flow were to be reduced, that would cause a rich air to fuel ratio, which is the opposite condition of why an engine would ping/knock.

But, before that happens, you ECU would know the a/f ratio and would adjust things to prevent and/or stop the ping/knock, before it damages your engine.

From what you've written, the first thing you SHOULD do to try and eliminate this is to use the highest octane fuel you can typically get in your market. Yes, you can use a lower octane fuel, but why?
You have a turbo, and a costly one at that. Saving a couple of bucks per tank isn't going to break the bank. Your engine can run on lower octane, but it's designed to give peak performance with "premium" octane fuel.

Also, you may have a "bad" batch of gasoline, that may have too much moisture in it, which could contribute to ping/knock events happening.
Since this problem started right after the HPFP replacement, then the logical thing to do is to take it back and have them fix the thing properly.
That's the answer.
Appreciate 0