BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT

Noise level of Bridgestone re-71r

Hey everyone,

Just mounted a fresh set of RE-71R tires on my style 313 wheels. 225 front 255 rear.

HOLY MOLY, are they ever loud? Is this normal? I was expecting them to be louder than normal cause of how much more aggressive of a tire they are than most street performance tires but I didn't know that they would be THIS loud.

Is there something wrong or is this normal? Super loud when braking to a complete stop too.

I'm using the BMW recommended air pressures on the car - 36psi front and 39psi rear.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
deesea
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Yes? I mean everyone has different tolerances of what "loud" constitutes as... What do you think this equates to? I've heard stories of people mounting tires, going on a drive, and coming back thinking their wheel bearings were gone.

Is it that loud?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesea View Post
Yes? I mean everyone has different tolerances of what "loud" constitutes as... What do you think this equates to? I've heard stories of people mounting tires, going on a drive, and coming back thinking their wheel bearings were gone.

Is it that loud?
Yes! That loud! Once you get rolling and maintain a constant speed, it becomes less evident.

However, upon applying the brakes to slow down, then the sound of bad wheel bearings become super apparent.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 06:58 PM   #4
AlienDNA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i LeMans Blue

The RE-71R is one of the loudest wheels I've ever used, right up there with the Toyo R888. But if you think they're loud now, wait until they're worn down. I just replaced a set with rears that were essentially slicks, down to the point the wear bars were a memory. Now THOSE were loud. I replaced them with another set of RE-71R. :-)

If you're gonna play, you have to pay in one form or another. For the phenomenal grip of the RE-71R you have to put up with the noise. For the laser sharp steering of the Yokohama AD08R you had to put up with the brutally stiff sidewalls. For the grip and longevity of the RS-3 you had to put up with the greasy hot temp traction.

I've a short commute and at highway speeds the noise isn't that bad. If you spend a lot of time around 60km/h, though, it may drive you bananas.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 07:32 AM   #5
Rudy@tirerack
Rep
Drives: rudy@tirerack.com

These are designed with ultimate dry grip in mind. They are one of the very top tires for Auto X. They give up ride comfort and noise for laser like handling response and extreme grip.

If ride and noise comfort are concerns stick with the new Conti Extreme Contact Sport or the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 06:54 PM   #6
deesea
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy@tirerack View Post
These are designed with ultimate dry grip in mind. They are one of the very top tires for Auto X. They give up ride comfort and noise for laser like handling response and extreme grip.

If ride and noise comfort are concerns stick with the new Conti Extreme Contact Sport or the Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
Will Tirerack be releasing anything that compares the new Conti Extremes against the new MPS4S?
Appreciate 0