BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
SusieW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Convertible

2010 128i Convertible Bike Rack

Does anyone know if the BMW rack is my only option? I thought I saw a "hidden hitch" option but I can't find that blog again.

Also, has anyone else heard about the recall on our tops? I am getting a new one from Germany in 4-6 weeks.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Susie,

The two options I am aware of for a convertible wanting a bike rack. The most obvious is to get the BMW model which reportedly is very well made but it kind of pricey and requires a couple holes through the plastic outer skin of the bumper. I believe if you order it with the car you might get covers the same color as the car but if you order it as an accessory it will have black covers but I am not sure. If it matters I would check. Installation involes removing the bumper cover so it seems a bit involved. Not too much is you are handy with tools but maybe a bit intimidating for some people.

If you look in the DIY section and search for "trailer hitch" you should find the thread about installing a hitch on a 1. BMW does not offer one in North America but an aftermarket supplier does. I don't think it is Hidden Hitch, it may be Curtis. You can also just google trailer hitch to find suppliers and find one offering a hitch for a 135i. When I have looked they have not listed the 128i but in the thread on the DIY here there is a report of somebody who installed it successfully. Should cost less than $150 and installation requires you to remove the bumper skin but you don't have to make holes in it. In addition, you need a bike rack that will slide into a trailer hitch. There are many models some of which will carry more bikes than BMWs.

You probably need to search here a bit more to see some pictures of how the final product will look both ways. I know there is a good thread on the BMW bike rack and on the hitch installation and result. I am not sure if there are pictures of the hitch with a rack in it but there probably are.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=trailer+hitch

Jim

Last edited by JimD; 06-15-2010 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
SusieW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Convertible

Thanks!!!

Jim-

Thanks so much for your help on this! I think I am going to try the hitch option I want to have a choice in my rack.

Thanks again!

Susie
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

Thats my post. I luv my trailer hitch.

much better option than the OEM bmw unit that goes thru some big holes in your bumper.