03-26-2011, 03:55 AM   #23
darkvaderr
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rps1m View Post
Good read, although I figured the 1M would have been about a tenth or two quicker to 60 and in the quarter.
Same, especially since someone posted that the 135i was tested by C&D at 4.6
With more power less weight, I would've figured more improvement on the 0-60
But the Z43.5is doing it in 4.4, the TTRS doing it in 3.6, and the 135i doing it in 4.6 really shows how ridiculously quick dual clutch transmissions are

But I'm still glad that 1M and NA TTRS are going to be manual only. Save the Manuals!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 04:52 AM   #24
WyattHerb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

"...the absurd and kind of awesome fender flares..."

Love it. This review kind of sums up why I love the 1's. There is something unusual about them that you love some days and question on others. In the end though, the car is ridiculously fun to drive.

. . . .and wtf is the point of that Infiniti?

Last edited by WyattHerb; 03-26-2011 at 05:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #25
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Great article, and a quiet confirmation that the 1M will be a great car in the hands of a great driver...the Audi TT RS is a really quick car, but the writers opinion that the car is too dependent on electronics and technology to go fast, and not the skill of the driver is dead on. AND the price.... OMFG that thing is expensive!!
      03-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #26
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

If it's coming out better than the TT RS then I pity those RS3 guys!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 06:41 AM   #27
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvaderr View Post
But the Z43.5is doing it in 4.4, the TTRS doing it in 3.6, and the 135i doing it in 4.6 really shows how ridiculously quick dual clutch transmissions are
Its AWD that makes the majority of difference. Dual clutch is good but not going to shave 1 sec off at those low numbers.

The 1M beats the TT in the rolling start.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 06:49 AM   #28
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

Dual Clutch, Launch Control, AWD and a weight distribution of 60/40 are helping the TT RS massively on that excellent 0-60 time.

It's without doubt a very fast car, but it features a different approach: More technical supported and easier to drive. Audi evolves more and more in the direction Japanese cars are going. Like the GT-R: Insanely fast, but you are more controlling the computers and the computer is actually driving the car.

I won't say one is better or worse than the other, it's just a matter of personal taste.

The TT RS features the better seating position, has more "race feeling" and that 5 cylinder engine is developing a way better sound than the one from the 1M. So I'd say every car has its very own special characteristics you will like, if you own one.

Last edited by skyphab; 03-26-2011 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #29
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Quote:
Good read, although I figured the 1M would have been about a tenth or two quicker to 60 and in the quarter.
Agree. With more hp /tq, an LSD and a better final drive ratio, that it was I expected also.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #30
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
Not without AWD, DCT, and/or wider tires in back.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #31
///1M
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphab View Post
Dual Clutch, Launch Control, AWD and a weight distribution of 60/40 are helping the TT RS massively on that excellent 0-60 time.

It's without doubt a very fast car, but it features a different approach: More technical supported and easier to drive. Audi evolves more and more in the direction Japanese cars are going. Like the GT-R: Insanely fast, but you are more controlling the computers and the computer is actually driving the car.

I won't say one is better or worse than the other, it's just a matter of personal taste.

The TT RS features the better seating position, has more "race feeling" and that 5 cylinder engine is developing a way better sound than the one from the 1M. So I'd say every car has its very own special characteristics you will like, if you own one.
I don't know if I can agree with you about the TT-RS seating position. I've driven a TT, and at 5'11", I felt very cramped, especially to my left. Not to mention only 2 seats, it's very low to the ground and has poor visibility. It can be a miserable drive, really. To own one at that price could result in regret / buyer's remorse.

On a separate note, Audi interiors are rather "blingy" with all the chrome. I prefer the more reserved, purposeful cabin of the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #32
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
I don't know if I can agree with you about the TT-RS seating position. I've driven a TT, and at 5'11", I felt very cramped, especially to my left. Not to mention only 2 seats, it's very low to the ground and has poor visibility. It can be a miserable drive, really. To own one at that price could result in regret / buyer's remorse.

On a separate note, Audi interiors are rather "blingy" with all the chrome. I prefer the more reserved, purposeful cabin of the 1M.
It is a small car, yes. I'm 6'3" and I know what you mean. The point is, though, that the 1M is very upright. The seats are quite high, even if there is enough headroom. The dashboard is low and therefore you have the feeling of sitting very high.

The interior in a TT is higher, seats are lower and you're in a more sporty position. Of course that lowers visibility but also gives a more tense feeling overall.

In fact, I like the seating position in my MK5 GTI better than in the 1M. The GTI does the same trick with the higher dashboards and the lowered seats, which just feels better.

I want to feel integrated in a car surrounding me, not sitting above on everything. This is, where the 1M doesn't excel in my eyes.

Last edited by skyphab; 03-26-2011 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #33
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

Was anybody able to access the videos mentioned after the article? I don't have the PDF open anymore but I thought it said www.caranddriver.com/hotcoupes but the page was not found.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #34
///1M
Captain
Rep

(@skyphab) ok, fair enough. I guess I prefer the higher seating position and roomier cabin of the 1M but it truly is only a personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #35
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I needed that.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #36
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlosso View Post
Was anybody able to access the videos mentioned after the article? I don't have the PDF open anymore but I thought it said www.caranddriver.com/hotcoupes but the page was not found.
that's right, but it probably isn't an active page yet, since this mag hasn't even hit the stands yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #37
superchargedman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Its AWD that makes the majority of difference. Dual clutch is good but not going to shave 1 sec off at those low numbers.

The 1M beats the TT in the rolling start.
like skyphab stated, it's a bit too simplistic to say that the ttrs is quicker only because of the awd.

regardless, i didn't order the 1m only for its 0-60 capabilities. it's the overall package that this car offers for daily driver uses. it's the car's refinement, its overall ability to be excellent at everything, and its engagement of the driver to create an overall amazing driving experience. if i wanted balls out speed, i'd go out and buy a used gtr or vette.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #38
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Exactly, the whole package has to be right for your very own taste.
Cars in this price area always demand compromises. If you go in price ranges of Lambos or Ferraris, you'll find much more focused cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
(@skyphab) ok, fair enough. I guess I prefer the higher seating position and roomier cabin of the 1M but it truly is only a personal preference.
Oh sure. If you're looking for space then the TT (RS) is definitely the wrong car. And for a daily use, good visibility and stuff is definitely more relaxing.

But that depends highly on the personal feeling with narrowness. For example a helmet: I like it tight, but some people feel cramped easily. No wrong or right here.
      03-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #39
///1M
Captain
Rep

The TT-RS looks to have an uncomfortable driving experience with respect to interior noise, judging from C&D's write up (the "Cessna" comment in particular).
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #40
E821M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M/330CI ZHP

I believe that slightly quicker times in the 0-60 and quarter mile run are possible. There many different factors that contribute to these times such as conditions and driver. If one ever compares Motor Trend test results to Car & Driver or Road & Track they will see that Motor Trend times are usually a tick or two quicker. It doesn't make any sense to me that a Z435is would be a tenth quicker to 60, as I think it actually weighs a little more. All in all though it really doesn't matter that much. What matters is that the article paints the picture of a car that is very rewarding to drive. By the way, the VO looks great in these pics imo.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #41
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
By the way, the VO looks great in these pics imo.
Yes, because it looks more redish than orange/copper. I actually prefer this redish look, too.
Attached Images

Last edited by Art__Vandelay; 03-26-2011 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #42
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedman View Post
like skyphab stated, it's a bit too simplistic to say that the ttrs is quicker only because of the awd.

regardless, i didn't order the 1m only for its 0-60 capabilities. it's the overall package that this car offers for daily driver uses. it's the car's refinement, its overall ability to be excellent at everything, and its engagement of the driver to create an overall amazing driving experience. if i wanted balls out speed, i'd go out and buy a used gtr or vette.

Why you ordered the 1M has nothing to do with the topic at hand. The point is the 0-60 speeds achieved by the TTRS are attributed more to the AWD then to its transmission.

One thing for sure...that Infinity looks like a$$.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #43
///1M
Captain
Rep

As far as the TT-RS goes, if one were to consider a 2-seater in this price range, the Cayman or Corvette would be just as good, if not better options.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #44
superchargedman
Captain
Rep

i completely disagree about your first statement. as skyphab agreed, this is a gestalt review of the car. it's not about the 0-60 solely.

i partially agree with your point about the acceleration. it is most significantly affected by the awd, but is also largely improved by the dct, launch control, etc. we often get into spats on this forum when you don't fully read my assertions. i was saying it's overly simplistic to solely attribute its time to awd. summary: awd is the biggest factor, but it's significantly assisted by the other factors at play that have been outlined.
Appreciate 0