BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

Whats the problem here?...

When I drive over uneven roads, even bumps or large cracks my suspension on front drivers side makes a loose metal rattling sound. I've taken it to 3 dealers and they said they can't find the problem. One greased up my suspension pressure plate (I think that's what they said) and it went away for a month or so, now it's back again. I want to buy this car off lease but not if it sounds like a junker every time I hit a bump. Should I ask for a new suspension? It's under warranty. Thoughts?

2012 128i non sport suspension...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think your dealer greased up the spring perch for the front suspension. Look at where the front spring contacts the spring perch on the shock housing. You can put your hand on the spring and have someone rock the car... maybe you can feel it that way. Or... try using some WD40 on the spring perch... if the noise goes away... your problem is there. Maybe have your dealer install some rubber pads under the spring where it sits inside the spring perch. That should solve it.
Appreciate 0