BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #23
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
What planet is this guy from? He is saying he measured the 3 as shorter than the 1. The 3 is actually 10 inches longer. Take away the harsh run-flats and the suspension tuning balance is great.
Height, not length. The 3 is a hair shorter.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #24
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Who knows what's his deal, but to me he sounds like a very crotchety old man. To say that the 328i is a better car reveals a preference for slow and secure over something more challenging. Yeah, the 328i drives nice and stable and comfortable and is frankly a conservative 2 door. Most of his comments are just subjective blather and, as pointed out, the few facts he tries to offer about the size of the car are wrong. The 1 has more rear headroom than the 3 and the wheelbase (which is the dimension he should be looking at when talking about stability) is only about an inch wider on the 3, not 3 inches.
      01-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #25
zbladejr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I think that I've figured out why he did the flip-flop from his earlier good review.

He's falling out with Edmund's and is trying to impress the test-drive reviewers over at TheTruthAboutCars.com

Either that or he's psycho. It is strange that he didn't referrence his own earlier lust affair. And not much in the way of context.
'Give me a 328i.....' Okay jackass - next thing you'll say is 'make that 328i an automatic'.

I can take criticism but when you're the only one saying the world is flat.....it's kind of hard to take seriously.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #26
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Interesting.

He says its ugly. Yup. No news here. So is the e30 M3. Driver's cars (135) are not always the prettiest cars (A5), its the performance that counts.

He says the suspension isn't up to BMW standards. Wonder if he has driven the e90 M3, because ALL NEW BMWs have soft suspensions that are not up to what many of us consider 'BMW standards.'

He says it feels less stable than a 3 series while admitting that it actually is more stable. OK. Maybe he just doesn't know how to drive? The 1 is floaty but it sticks.

Now the interior thing just boggles the mind. I always get a 3 series loaner when my 1 is in, usually one with less than 1000 miles. Goddamn that hunk of plastic that goes all they way across the dash in the 3 is UGLY. Apparently he wants a bunch of buttons and flashy lights, like the 370. Me, I like it spartan. Flashy lights don't keep drivers entertained for very long.

And then he says he will take a Crimson Red 328. My kid sister would call that car prissy.

"For the driving enthusiast who wants the complete package at this price point, the 328i is where it's at."

Someone buy this guy a Kia Rio, he will LOVE IT.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 10:49 PM   #27
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Wow i have a 7 Letter Sentence for that Guy who made the review.

Also, i think the 135i/128i is one of the coolest BMW's of all time and think everything he said is a lie, cause the interior is amazing, the ride quality is amazing, handles much better then a 3 series, and is not FUGLY at all.

That guy prolly just could not afford a 135, cause he keeps getting fired for writing such stupid reviews, OR maybe he has a Cayman S and doesnt believe in a 135i being better for how much he paid. Anyway, i think the review is total bullshit, and was done so the 135i doesnt have perfect or near perfect reviews all the time. And the car is sexier/tighter then any car in its group/class.

I would love to see him on the street one day...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #28
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post
License plate is clearly visible, just go to DMV and get detailed report of the guy. Why Google?
Don't really cared for where he lives or who he is. Curious to know who he has written for and his career experience.
      01-05-2009, 11:40 PM   #29
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: planning my getaway

i cant stand everyone saying this car is ugly, i think its a beautiful car.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 12:13 AM   #30
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

Criticism is good, however it is very subjective. For example I was intended to buy 335. I did test drive and was really disappointed. 08 335 looks simple ugly. 09 is something better. But my major concerns were noisy, slow, crappy brakes, not well handling. So I immediately understood that 3 series is highly overrated. So I almost went from the dealer empty handed. Sales guy asked me what car I drove before, when I told Z4, he recommended to try 1series, what I did. It wasn’t completely matching Z4, however it was better in handling, acceleration and braking. I also should admit that 1series looks better than 3 series. So this guy review doesn’t make much sense for me. However I am glad that people will see review and perhaps avoid purchasing 1 series. It will make the car more unique.
      01-06-2009, 01:17 AM   #31
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

More likely 3 series has wrong proportion. For example my E-class is taller than 1 series, but still looks good.
      01-06-2009, 01:28 AM   #32
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
Some of you guys need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid and admit the car has its shortcomings. No one is saying it's not a great car in its own right, but it's not the be-all-end-all of automotive engineering.

The guy has some points. The car is too tall. BMW made the 1 by shrinking a 3 in every proportion except height. As a result it looks funny and it drives top-heavy.

It's also too expensive. 3-grand less for a car that's inferior in almost every respect except the engine isn't very reasonable. The 1 should be more of a people's car than it is. Make it a BMW GTI as opposed to a baby 3-series.
I would love to see you quantify your remarks there; especially about it being inferior. I agree that it is not everything a car can be, but what car is?
      01-06-2009, 02:22 AM   #33
993 911
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z3M, F31, G07

Last time I checked this car is NOT about interior room, especially the lack of luxury in the backseat that is intended for small children and lower insurance rates.

This car is mostly compared to cars with no backseats at all (Cayman/Boxster, 350/370, Z4) or a "track-tuned" sedan.

Ugly? Yeah, its not the sexiest car in stock form, especially as a 128i, but there are certainly less beautiful cars on showroom floors right now. Every 135i I've seen has actually been stunning, and I've gotten far more compliments on my car than my previous M3. It really does look good on the road.

Poor handling? Upgrade it (although I find it better than my 335ic in stock form). BMW blessed us with a car that would be easy to upgrade (and easy to lose a warranty on). A lot of media people tend to forget this car is BMW's way of taking "tuners" away from the Japanese market and giving us a great blueprint for a track/auto-x beast. High roof? Bad lines? Blame EU-DOT regulations, it would have been to expensive and heavy to make the car look much different while keeping the room it does have right now. I enjoy the back seat and trunk, and compared to my E36 it seems quite spacious.

This guy is a prick. I love my 1.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 04:44 AM   #34
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Too tall? According to BMW specifications the 1 is 56 inches tall. The 3 coupe is 55.8 inches tall. This is not a significant difference. If the 1 looks taller it's because the rear has more headroom which is a good thing if you ever want an actual adult to sit in the back. This is one of the compromises that BMW intentionaly made (along with the wheel set up and suspension tune) to make this car more appealing to its target market segment. These are not accidents and even though they don't appeal to everyone, the lack of discounts on the 1 compared to other models means the 1 is selling well and a lot of real people dont share the panning.
      01-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #35
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
I would love to see you quantify your remarks there; especially about it being inferior. I agree that it is not everything a car can be, but what car is?
+1
The 1 series is far from perfect, but no car is.

Quote:
I mean inferior to the 3, which it is in almost every respect, from snob appeal to interior room to handling performance. Is it not?
You'll find many people on this forum that believe the exact opposite of what you've stated. I'm sure most 135 owners, myself included, could have purchased a 335 without issue, but it didn't meet their criteria of a fun, sporty car. It sounds like you're more concerned with status than performance.

BTW, hasn't Edmunds been raving about the 135 for months on end?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 05:58 AM   #36
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

wah wah wah. some mean internet author doesn't like my car. wah wah wah

Who cares?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 06:20 AM   #37
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
wah wah wah. some mean internet author doesn't like my car. wah wah wah

Who cares?
Get up on the wrong side of the bed today Mad Dragon? :biggrin:
      01-06-2009, 06:25 AM   #38
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep

Quote:
I mean inferior to the 3, which it is in almost every respect, from snob appeal to interior room to handling performance. Is it not?
When was the last time you bought a coupe for interior space?

You mentioned "snob appeal"; The 1 series designation puts it at the bottom of the BMW spectrum (that is why there is the 3, 5 & 7 series in all there trim levels).

As for the handling performance, it can easily be rectified with non-RFTs and if you want even more handling you can go with new sways and/or coil-overs. That is what the after market is for.
      01-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #39
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Some of you guys need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid and admit the car has its shortcomings.
Of course it has it's shortcomings. Every car has them.

You need to realize that not everyone is looking for the same thing. If you think the 3's are better in every respect you should buy a 3. They are good cars and if they are a better fit for your preferences then there is nothing wrong with doing so. Some of us simply find the 1's a better match for what we care about in car.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #40
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

to be honest I love the looks of the 1 series , I could get a 335i easily, but the looks better than the 335i , it handles better. What people forget is the the 135i also comes with standard ///M stuff , sport seats , M Aero kit, Black exhaust tips and M suspension. I think the E92 has become to big , the 1 series with its roof line reminds me of old BMWs. I just loved it the day I saw it even though I was planning on gettting a 335i for a couple of months when I saw my first 1er at the dealer I fell in love
      01-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #41
rawbert54
Private First Class
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: sedona Reda 128i

i have to say i dont think the 1 is ugly at all. It reminds me of the old school bmws but with modern updates. Im a big fan of the classic look. bmw's current styling isnt bad, but lacks the distinctiveness traditionally associated with the brand. To me, the current 3 series looks a little too "japanese" in its styling.
Everyone knows the 3 has grown over the years. The fact is, some people dont want to drive a car that big but still want to enjoy a bmw coupe, like me!

Wow, just realized my post is almost identical to adood84
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #42
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbert54 View Post
i have to say i dont think the 1 is ugly at all. It reminds me of the old school bmws but with modern updates. Im a big fan of the classic look. bmw's current styling isnt bad, but lacks the distinctiveness traditionally associated with the brand. To me, the current 3 series looks a little too "japanese" in its styling.
Everyone knows the 3 has grown over the years. The fact is, some people dont want to drive a car that big but still want to enjoy a bmw coupe, like me!

Wow, just realized my post is almost identical to adood84
Great minds think a like :thumbup:
      01-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #43
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

I agree on some points. The stability and ride leave a little to be desired. Some of it are these terrible runshat tires which I cannot wait to get off the car.

I had a 335i lease for a short time before this car, and I also agree with the interior. The 3 series interior is substantially nicer.

But I would not take a 328 over a 135. I don't like terminally slow.

I also don't place a lot of stock in the subjective, such as appearance. I think the car looks nice exterior, but lots disagree.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 10:27 AM   #44
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Here are my two cents...

Some complain about the 3's interior being to luxurious and want BMW to go back to a pure drivers car....Presto we have the 1 series. Now people bash it for not being luxurious enough? I don't get it.

The 1 series is meant to be modded and tracked. The current 3 series is for driving around town.

As far looks, I am glad the 1er doesn't look like everything else on the road.

:iono: