BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
maxslug
Custom User Title Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT, 2014 E84 X1

How would you spend $5k?

Hi All,

I've tracked my N55 135i a few times now, it's a bone stock m-sport. I have 20-30 track days and a few 24 hours of lemons under my belt in other cars.

Here's what I've done so far :
- F20 brake shields / ducts
- Hawk DTC 60(R)/70(F) pads
- Motul fluid
- Ti spacers

I'm happy with the stock brakes for now with this setup, they haven't faded.

Here are the short term problems I've found :
- Body Roll
- Tire Size
- Rear-end "looseness"
- Shifting / heel-toe
- Not enough negative camber

I have seen a ton of different "m-bits" for the suspension but it's hard to say what's the best bang for the buck.

Here's what I'm considering :
- Rear subframe bushings
- KW V2 Coilovers
- Camber Plates (whoever)
- M3 Front Sway
- Rear toe links
- Pedal Covers + more track time

So track junkies : if you had to do it all over again, where would you put your hard earned pesos to get the best bang for the buck?

-m

Last edited by maxslug; 11-18-2013 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: typo on pads
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
P90Puma
Would rather be driving.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT M-Sport

No issues with cooling / oil temps / cracking brake pistons?

This is the trouble everyone seems to have on the track with the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Your list looks good. And its always good money spent on driver training vs spending it on your car.

I would suggest to upgrade to track type pads. You probably are in need of new rotors too by now. Maybe get them cryo treated before installing new rotors.

I am a big fan of the CDV delete mod, a SSK, and the Performance Exhaust. Maybe an Alcantara steering wheel would be a good mod for you. The alcantara wheel really makes the car feel and look like a racer.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I just finished M3 sus bits upgraded and yes i wish i could have done in the first place .
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Your list looks good. And its always good money spent on driver training vs spending it on your car.

I would suggest to upgrade to track type pads. You probably are in need of new rotors too by now. Maybe get them cryo treated before installing new rotors.

I am a big fan of the CDV delete mod, a SSK, and the Performance Exhaust. Maybe an Alcantara steering wheel would be a good mod for you. The alcantara wheel really makes the car feel and look like a racer.
FYI - DTC 70 is a full race pad.

OP - I suggest you look into the KW V3s. They maybe a bit more expensive than the V2s, but the compression adjustments are well worth it.

IMO, TCK IMO would be a better set-up, just because you can customize your linear spring rates to really dial in the car...versus the KW where you don't have a choice in springs, but obviously can swap out springs down the roads. The KW or TCK dampers are really top notch.

That with camber plates will really dial in the car, I suggest the compression adjustment shocks because it can help lock down the front/and rear with those type of adjustments. Perhaps you should look into replacing the rear bushings with the M3-type.

APEX is having a GB as well on their wheels, running some bigger tire with lighter wheels will really help the car rev-up. Dunlop ZIIs, Hankook RS3s or BFG Rivals are some really sought after tires for the track. The RS3s really like some high-camber cars (-3* and more)

Hope this helps.

Heel-toeing takes time. I don't like the pedal set-up on the E82, as it is completely different in the E86 and since I track my E86, I focus on heel-toe more-so on that car. Just keep on doing it around the street and you'll soon master it
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
maxslug
Custom User Title Here
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P90Puma View Post
No issues with cooling / oil temps / cracking brake pistons?
Nope, I went w/ the N55 w/ the M-sport package to get around the cooling issues. California summer track day and the oil temp never budged from straight up and down. As for the calipers, the cooling mod, pads, and the Ti spacers seem to be keeping them from disintegrating right now.

Quote:
Agreed. And that's why I always track a car stock before doing any mods on it (ok, except the brakes). The body roll has to go though!

Quote:
Not sure the fuzzy steering wheel will help the suspension, but the CDV delete is on my short list too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everfly View Post
I just finished M3 sus bits upgraded and yes i wish i could have done in the first place .
Everfly, could you elaborate on which bits fixed what for you? Curious where I can cut corners here, since there are tons of M-bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
OP - I suggest you look into the KW V3s. They maybe a bit more expensive than the V2s, but the compression adjustments are well worth it.

IMO, TCK IMO would be a better set-up, just because you can customize your linear spring rates to really dial in the car...versus the KW where you don't have a choice in springs, but obviously can swap out springs down the roads. The KW or TCK dampers are really top notch.
Thanks, I'll look into those.

Quote:
That with camber plates will really dial in the car, I suggest the compression adjustment shocks because it can help lock down the front/and rear with those type of adjustments. Perhaps you should look into replacing the rear bushings with the M3-type.
Quote:
APEX is having a GB as well on their wheels, running some bigger tire with lighter wheels will really help the car rev-up. Dunlop ZIIs, Hankook RS3s or BFG Rivals are some really sought after tires for the track. The RS3s really like some high-camber cars (-3* and more)

Heel-toeing takes time. I don't like the pedal set-up on the E82, as it is completely different in the E86 and since I track my E86, I focus on heel-toe more-so on that car. Just keep on doing it around the street and you'll soon master it
I'm running the ZIIs right now and am pretty happy with them. They are good enough for commuting and HPDE at the same time. As for heel-toeing, I am surprised how different this car feels than my last one. But yeah, more practice is in order.

-m
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #7
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I did full M3 bits and it like a complete different car. My friend own E92 M3 drove it and love it, also i am running AST with Vorg camber.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 05:48 AM   #8
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
LSD and Coilovers will make the most difference.
Then save up and do all the M3 bits which will make a massive improvement again.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
dji
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i 2008

LSD, M3 bit, vorshlag camber plate, coilovers or koni yellow and swift spring ( I did this and love them since its my daily and road are so bad here in Montreal.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
mbintx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i, Miata, and a truck

Buy a Miata
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbintx View Post
Buy a Miata
HEY! This is a BMW forum!

The proper answer is a Spec E30
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
I would contact Harold @ HP Autowerks or message Pixelblue on here. They both have extensive tracking experience with our cars and they'll tell you what to get for the biggest improvement.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
maxslug
Custom User Title Here
United_States
Rep

Quote:
HEY! This is a BMW forum!

The proper answer is a Spec E30
Hah! I've tracked a spec E30, they are very fun. But I decided against a track car and went with a daily driver that I can track some times. The 1 is a good compromise.

-m
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Suspension, tires, and reliability. Look at the

LSDs won't make you better but they will make you a little faster. Alcantara wheels don't do a thing. Exhaust is fun but you have enough power. I'll say it again:
  • Suspension: M3 bits and sub frame bushings, coilover of your choice, camber plates
  • Tires & Wheels: Your choice, APEX wheels for maximum width and lightweight
  • Reliability: Cooling, cooling, cooling + the things that pop up due to age and more aggressive driving.

BTW, KW V3s are awesome but biased towards street. Just so you know.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
My vote would be on swaybars+bushings, tires, coilover kit.

(this is what I've heard countless times regarding the rear-end wiggle)

the other option is to widen your rear end but that would double what you want to spend.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #16
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Great thread. I just tracked my e82 for four days in the last two months and have come to the following conclusion: I need an actual track car. I've done this middle of the the road with a street car method and it turned out bad (ruined my car- hated driving it on the street). So I'm looking for a track dedicated car to screw up.

BUT the thought of lightly modding and continuing to track the 1 crosses my mind, because to me all I would do is:
- LSD
- square setup
- ti shims/pads/caliper pistons if needed
- camber plates

Then I think of the mods that are most important: the safety mods of a bolt in bar, proper seats, fire extinguisher, harnesses, and it makes me want a track car again.

Apologies if that was not helpful, but with 30 days under your belt you're probably running advanced solo and running at speeds that can really put you in harm's way without the proper track safety equipment.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #17
maxslug
Custom User Title Here
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post

BUT the thought of lightly modding and continuing to track the 1 crosses my mind, because to me all I would do is:
- LSD
- square setup
- camber plates
Have the shims/pads already, but I forgot about the option to go to a square setup -- that would save on tires and dial out some understeer. You wouldn't add some upgrades to the stock suspension in your list? A swaybar seems totally required to me after wallowing around.

Quote:
Then I think of the mods that are most important: the safety mods of a bolt in bar, proper seats, fire extinguisher, harnesses, and it makes me want a track car again.

Apologies if that was not helpful, but with 30 days under your belt you're probably running advanced solo and running at speeds that can really put you in harm's way without the proper track safety equipment.
True, you should throw a hans device in that list too. However, I'm feeling pretty good about running such a modern car with all the airbags and extra metal. Like you're hinting at -- once you throw a bar in, now it's not safe to drive it w/out a helmet and it becomes a track car.

-m
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #18
Nugget
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
Suspension, tires, and reliability. Look at the

LSDs won't make you better but they will make you a little faster. Alcantara wheels don't do a thing. Exhaust is fun but you have enough power. I'll say it again:
  • Suspension: M3 bits and sub frame bushings, coilover of your choice, camber plates
  • Tires & Wheels: Your choice, APEX wheels for maximum width and lightweight
  • Reliability: Cooling, cooling, cooling + the things that pop up due to age and more aggressive driving.

BTW, KW V3s are awesome but biased towards street. Just so you know.
It seems that overheating is not a big issue on N55s.
Also I spent a lot of time and money getting my suspension sorted then installed an LSD. If I had done the LSD first I probably wouldn't have done so much as it seems to make the car so much more panted and stable.

Quote:
Great thread. I just tracked my e82 for four days in the last two months and have come to the following conclusion: I need an actual track car. I've done this middle of the the road with a street car method and it turned out bad (ruined my car- hated driving it on the street). So I'm looking for a track dedicated car to screw up.

- LSD
- square setup
- camber plates

Very good points. I'm now wanting to get a track car with the proper safety gear but don't have the room right now. So compromised road car and not pushing too hard it is!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #19
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxslug View Post
Have the shims/pads already, but I forgot about the option to go to a square setup -- that would save on tires and dial out some understeer. You wouldn't add some upgrades to the stock suspension in your list? A swaybar seems totally required to me after wallowing around.
I guess I would eventually but I'd want to wear out the stock stuff first. I should also mention I've been having a BLAST with the bone stock car on Runflats at the track. Runflats= you really learn the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxslug View Post
True, you should throw a hans device in that list too. However, I'm feeling pretty good about running such a modern car with all the airbags and extra metal. Like you're hinting at -- once you throw a bar in, now it's not safe to drive it w/out a helmet and it becomes a track car.

-m
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
It seems that overheating is not a big issue on N55s.
Also I spent a lot of time and money getting my suspension sorted then installed an LSD. If I had done the LSD first I probably wouldn't have done so much as it seems to make the car so much more panted and stable.
Oil on track never goes much above 250 and runs at 245 on street all the time. No limp modes at all. Very pleased with the n55 and PPK with the cooling upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Very good points. I'm now wanting to get a track car with the proper safety gear but don't have the room right now. So compromised road car and not pushing too hard it is!
I might end up there as well. Looking for an e36m, but I am very picky, and I refuse to pay the inflated prices I'm finding on the enthusiast sites.

If I don't have one by spring I will do pads and square wheels/tires for the 1 and go have some more fun.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #20
Nugget
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
I guess I would eventually but I'd want to wear out the stock stuff first. I should also mention I've been having a BLAST with the bone stock car on Runflats at the track. Runflats= you really learn the car.
I got a puncture in my AD08s (they are pretty much gone so not worth repairing) so last week I went out on the track with my run flats.
I was actually pretty impressed. IMO they were a hell of a lot better than Michelin PSS. I think the stiff sidewall means they hold up to the abuse well.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #21
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
If you're a serious track junky, I'd skip KW V2's and go for a more serious setup, AST, Moton, JRZ, etc., Vorshlag plates, paired with sticky 245 or 255 square wheels and tires and a Quaife diff to put the power down. I'm pretty much running this type of setup on my Z4 and it has no trouble keeping up with cars that have double the hp.

Also, I'd beef up the safety and get a Schroth Quick Fit Pro + Hans so you can still at least run factory seats.

If you're having trouble H/T, you should practice more on street and consider getting aftermarket pedals where the gas pedal sits a bit wider for an easier/quicker blip.

And FYI, the sway bar should be the LAST thing you add in terms of suspension, it should be used to fine tune the handling but you should first rely on better dampers and springs to tighten up the ride.
      10-27-2013, 02:04 AM   #22
Wrniknbl
It's just not cricket
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Sways, M3 bits including bushings then Spend the rest of your money on driver training. I have had an instructor drive it bone stock and he was keeping up with well.....everything. however the overssteer and float was noticeable. Ive stiffened it all up and now very happy.
Appreciate 0