Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > **WARNING**162s w/ SP do not work in snow!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-09-2005, 09:36 AM   #23
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I thought your post was indeed superfluous since it states something very obvious. There really was no new information to anyone in it.

Nevertheless, all I did was make fun of your post, not of you. You shoulda taken that in your stride. Calling names was simply not called for.

Letīs just leave it at that.
      12-09-2005, 09:38 AM   #24
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
useless to you, perhaps, but it may help someone else in the tire-decision process i went through. either way it doesn't matter. i'm probably just mad my car is currently stuck in a parking lot until the snow begins to melt

note: i've since edited my original reply, for the sake of forum peace and b/c i was out of line.

Last edited by prolix21; 12-09-2005 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 09:49 AM   #25
petesamprs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I find these posts helpful in evaluating whether I made the right decision buying a second set of wheels/tires for a leased car. prolix, aside from the name calling, thanks for the description of your experience.

Retired: '08 M5, '08 550i (ED), '06 330i
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 09:56 AM   #26
shad951
Private
Rep
Drives: Garage is Empty

The fact that you thought his post was superfluous and had no new information is irrelevant. He was simply posting his experience with how bad the factory tires are even in a very light amount of snow. His experience maybe relevant to someone else who has not decided to go with snow tires or not. If that information means nothing to you then just read on to something in here that does. But by responding like a smart-ass like you did to him is no better then him calling you a name, so practice what you preach.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 10:02 AM   #27
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesamprs
I find these posts helpful in evaluating whether I made the right decision buying a second set of wheels/tires for a leased car. prolix, aside from the name calling, thanks for the description of your experience.
glad it is helpful. really i just don't want anyone to have to deal with the kind of commute i had or to get hurt. driving on these tires is terribly dangerous on snow, not just for us, but for other drivers. i thought maybe people were exaggerating how bad they were, but obviously thats not the case
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 10:04 AM   #28
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad951
But by responding like a smart-ass like you did to him is no better then him calling you a name, so practice what you preach.
I do. I attacked (actually I was making fun of, but that seems to have gone under) his post. Not the poster. How could I, I know nothing about him.

The response was a personal attack. I see a difference, donīt you?

Throw dirt at what Iīm saying if you like, Iīll take it without complaining. I just might argue it.

Throw dirt at me personally and itīll make you look immature.

But nevermind, I still believe some posts call to be made fun of, wether someone else finds them usefull or not. The really cool members here will respond with a sense of humour such as "what, me stating the obvious, how could that ever be " Btw, I wasnīt the only one to think so, there were others (though regarding the similar original post).

Then again, I know that sometimes things are said in the heat of the moment that are not meant or not neccessarily typical for the character of the poster. So Iīm not really mad. (after all, were not talking about a Battmahlik response here). But I will call upon it. And the edit is all thatīs needed to settle this.
      12-09-2005, 10:17 AM   #29
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

One last thing on the subject:
Although I never attack anyone personally on these forums, I tend to draw a lot of fire from my posts anyway. Somehow I manage to be very provocative in my writing. Often the kidding is too well hidden or my opinions may seem arrogant. Something about the way I word things seems to p**s many people off. Way more than I would want or expect them too. it canīt all be the other peoples fault.

So Iīll try too look into how Iīm percieved and try to adjust my writing to a more collegial tone.

(Thatīs my way of saying, maybe my post was a bit out of line as well).
      12-09-2005, 01:31 PM   #30
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
One last thing on the subject:
Although I never attack anyone personally on these forums, I tend to draw a lot of fire from my posts anyway. Somehow I manage to be very provocative in my writing. Often the kidding is too well hidden or my opinions may seem arrogant. Something about the way I word things seems to p**s many people off. Way more than I would want or expect them too. it canīt all be the other peoples fault.

So Iīll try too look into how Iīm percieved and try to adjust my writing to a more collegial tone.

(Thatīs my way of saying, maybe my post was a bit out of line as well).

shutup asshole

j/k in case it isn't clear
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #31
gdcwatt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mazda Protege

Well, I'm reading to determine if a 323i 6MT is a viable Canadian winter alternative to a fwd TSX, for all the drivers in my family: I found out this morning that is can be, but snowtires are a must. My question, however, was if the 325i was up to the task, not the tires.

Five inches of snow fell last night, so I took a 325i AT, with OEM all-season Bridgestone Turanzas (205/55-16) for a test drive along some residential streets, up and down some hills, with lots of stops and starts, and turns everywhere to test traction. The 325's traction control, stability control, considerable weight and weight distribution ment that the car could do whatever I wanted, and would go wherever I pointed it - no problems, no drama, no sawing madly at the steering wheel battling understeer or oversteer around corners, no wildly spinning tires spewing up snow everywhere. I was impressed. I know what most people think of the Turanzas, but getting stranded, or putting the car into a curb was just not going to happen (well, I wasn't going that fast and I had CONTROL). Sure, starting on a hill, the TC would cut back engine power - a lot - but the car would just start moving, and climb.

I would buy stock-size snowtires, especially because I would like as much traction as possible, and wouldn't want to get caught in the middle of an intersection, with on-coming traffic.

On the limitations of hi-po tires: even my 4500lb minivan had snowtires, where it became a tank which didn't like to stop. My Protege with snowtires requires much more "skill" to drive in the snow, and while it's predictable, it is sloppy. Well, I'm glad I now know what works.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #32
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcwatt
I would buy stock-size snowtires, especially because I would like as much traction as possible, and wouldn't want to get caught in the middle of an intersection, with on-coming traffic.

Nice post, gdcwatt, thanks for bringing the thread back to civility.

The quote I kept here is exactly why one needs to be aware of the benefits and limitations of DSC on a Bimmer...the big-ass snows will be great for most use on a 325i.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #33
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
(after all, were not talking about a Battmahlik response here).

LOL, I remember him!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 01:59 AM   #34
NaTuReB0Y