E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Manual E90 help

05-20-2005, 06:28 PM   #23
NuovoTech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1996 318ti

Quote:
I've heard that you really don't need the clutch to change gears...except when getting into first.
That's true but why risk it, clutches are way cheaper than trannies. I drove semi's(12 forward gears w/no syncros) interstate for many years & had lot's of discussions with other truckers who didn't use the clutch. Gotta tell you most of them didn't own their rigs, those that did double-clutched. My bimmer is so much easier to shift single-clutching is no real hassle!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2005, 02:43 AM   #24
Flash
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

I have been driving a manual for 24 years. Never owned an auto.
Here are my tips. While driving never put the car in "N". Alway have your car in a gear to have control over it. Look at the rev counter you can use that as an indication when to gear up or down. Dont try to change gear without using the clutch the car was not designed for it. Before you go around a corner gear down, go around the corner in gear ( normaly 80% of the time in 2nd gear in town).
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2005, 04:49 AM   #25
itsmerd
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D E90 and E92

Here it's pretty much the same, most people learn and do drive manual transm. cars. Don't be afraid of it, it's only a matter of learn by doing. Once you developped the feeling for it it will become a second nature (like riding bicycle). A few tips that might help you. Always listen to the engine (revs, sounds, power development), make sure that before you enter a corner you are ready with both braking and changing gears (most city curves should be taken in 2nd -sometimes 3rd- gear). The gearbox is fully synchronised so as long as you use the clutch properly it will not be a problem to change gears during breaking/full stop of the car. I advise once you become to a stop to put the gear back in first, this allows you to always react and drive away when necessary. I'm sure that once you get used to the stick you never want to go back to auto. It enables you a more sporty driving and you feel more in control of the car and lucky you, BMW still makes the best manual gearboxes in the world!! I wouldn't want an auto in this car!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2005, 07:58 AM   #26
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
When I learned to drive a manual, it was hard for maybe the first day. It seemed like there were so many things to listen/look for. But after about 2-3 days of driving, you will be able to drive without even thinking about it.

I remember back in college, I never had to worry about someone asking to borrow my car (hardly anyone knew how to drive a manual).

Michael
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2005, 12:37 PM   #27
NuovoTech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1996 318ti

Quote:
I remember back in college, I never had to worry about someone asking to borrow my car (hardly anyone knew how to drive a manual).
That's really funny, when I went to college in the 1960's it was pretty much the opposite...automatics were pricey, clunky, & rare. LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2005, 01:12 PM   #28
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

So can u get your licience in a Automatic in the USA ??
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2005, 02:04 PM   #29
Athos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6-spd

Yes. I'm not aware of any states that make a distinction between manual and automatic to issue a driver's license. Most people take the test with an automatic for obvious reasons.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2005, 06:46 PM   #30
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmerd
I advise once you become to a stop to put the gear back in first, this allows you to always react and drive away when necessary.
I always heard that you should keep it in neutral while stopped...?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2005, 06:56 PM   #31
ogrady
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 09 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackman
I always heard that you should keep it in neutral while stopped...?
Why would you need to do that? If you got the clutch in and stay in gear you at least can move your car if something dangerous happens. If you're in neutral you're not giong to be able to take any action if you need to. By the time you kick the clutch in, get it in gear and take off, it'll have taken too long.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2005, 07:27 PM   #32
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogrady
Why would you need to do that? If you got the clutch in and stay in gear you at least can move your car if something dangerous happens. If you're in neutral you're not giong to be able to take any action if you need to. By the time you kick the clutch in, get it in gear and take off, it'll have taken too long.
The reason, I always thought, is that it's bad for the clutch to be in for long periods of time- say, stopped at a light.
So you should just put it in neutral.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2005, 03:31 AM   #33
Armen52
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
The reason, I always thought, is that it's bad for the clutch to be in for long periods of time- say, stopped at a light.
So you should just put it in neutral.
When the clutch pedal is in, you're disengaging the engine from the transmission. I don't see how this would be bad. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2005, 03:46 AM   #34
Flash
Private
Rep

It is not bad for the car to keep the clutch in. You will see that the bmw has got hill start (manual bmw) assist that mean if you stand on a hill with the car in gear and the clutch pushed in and you other foot on the brake when you pull away you can let go off the brake and the car will not roll back for 2 seconds gives you enough time to push the gas pedal.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2005, 08:56 AM   #35
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
When the clutch pedal is in, you're disengaging the engine from the transmission. I don't see how this would be bad. Anyone?
I've always heard this wears out your clutch very fast- if you're going to stop, put it in neutral.
That seems to be everyone else's advice in this thread so far up until that guy, so now I'm confused.
Does anyone know for sure? I don't know very well how a transmission works mechanically, I'm just going by what I was always taught/read to do and not do.

On a sidenote, I've also heard one shouldn't go into first gear unless the car is stopped or very close to stopped, and that it's bad for the tranny to shift into first while going, say, 20mph. Is this true?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2005, 09:12 AM   #36
Flash
Private
Rep

I have been driving a manual car for 24 years now. On al my cars i have never lost a clutch due to wear and tear. I have never put my car in "n" when i stop and dont know any one who does that. When i am about to stop i push my clutch in, change to 1st gear and keep the clutch in. In my country as i statted elsewhere in this forum only about 10% of our people has Autos. I personally dont even know somebody who owns a auto car. Everyone i know drives like i do.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2005, 09:45 AM   #37
riku
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-5

I think the USA must be the only county in the world where the majority of cars are manual (perhaps Canada is the only other one?).
I used to live in the UK and you can take your test there in an auto transmission car, but if you pass the test then you get a license that is ONLY valid for auto transmission. I don't know anyone who ever had this kind of license, everyone takes their test in a manual and then your license if valid for both kinds. I live in Finland now and here you take the driving test twice. First for summer road conditions and then if you pass that a seperate "winter" driving test. People in the USA have things somewhat easier

Richard
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2005, 09:56 AM   #38
riku
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogrady
If you got the clutch in and stay in gear you at least can move your car if something dangerous happens. If you're in neutral you're not giong to be able to take any action if you need to. By the time you kick the clutch in, get it in gear and take off, it'll have taken too long.
People are taught different methods in different countries. I learned to drive in the UK and I was taught to put the car in neutral and the handbrake on when at traffic lights. This is because if someone bumps you from behind your foot will come off the clutch and if you have the car in gear then you'll hit the car in front - who will then bump the car in front etc. If there's someone crossing the road in front of you then you'll have a big dent in your bonnet too.

I moved to Finland and everyone here is taught to leave the car in gear with the clutch down and footbrake on at traffic lights- no handbrake. My Finnish passengers have never seen so much handbrake action since I think the UK method is safer but people here are very quick off the lights.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2005, 01:10 PM   #39
itsmerd
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D E90 and E92

Quote:
I've always heard this wears out your clutch very fast- if you're going to stop, put it in neutral.
That seems to be everyone else's advice in this thread so far up until that guy, so now I'm confused.
Does anyone know for sure? I don't know very well how a transmission works mechanically, I'm just going by what I was always taught/read to do and not do.

On a sidenote, I've also heard one shouldn't go into first gear unless the car is stopped or very close to stopped, and that it's bad for the tranny to shift into first while going, say, 20mph. Is this true?

Don't worry to keep the clutch in while stopped, it will not wear out your clutch. I think the confusion is with the fact that when you are driving (at any speed), a lot of people hold there foot on the clutch pedal, this is something you should avoid, the only place where your left foot should be during driving is on the floor otherwise indeed the clutch will wear out. The other thing you shouldn't do is to hold your hand on the stick during driving. If you do this it can cause damage to the synchromesh rings in the transmission so best thing is to keep your right hand on the steeringwheel.
Shifting back to first can be done during driving (transmissions nowadays are made to be able to handle this kind of actions) however it is not advisable (and not necessary) to do it at "high" speed. I only put it back into first during driving when the second gear is not able to smoothly pick up speed again (which is at very very low speed (say max. 10mph!!).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #40
wannabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i e93 6MT

Here's three reasons why you shouldn't keep the car in 1st gear while stopped and holding the clutch in:

1.) It doesn't wear out the clutch, but it wears out the mechanism that separates the flywheel from the driveshaft. Think about how much pressure you are applying to separate the flywheel from the driveshaft when you have the clutch in. Everytime you have the clutch engaged...you are wearing this mechanism out.

2) If you're sitting at a red light and you have your foot on the clutch and in gear. There's a potential for you to get slightly rear ended when you are not expecting it...this could cause you to let off the clutch and potential stall into the intersection or the car in front of you.

3) I don't know about you...but it takes me a fraction of a second to shift into first and get going just in case I need a quick get-a-way...for example if there are ninjas chasing me or godzilla is coming.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2005, 03:11 PM   #41
ogrady
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 09 335

wannabe your post is simply ridiculous... . . AZ is too hot for ninjas with all the black clothes they wear.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2005, 03:17 PM   #42
wannabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i e93 6MT

They wear shorts and a golf hat out here. You are right though...it's starting again...105 today.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2005, 06:25 PM   #43
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmerd
Don't worry to keep the clutch in while stopped, it will not wear out your clutch. I think the confusion is with the fact that when you are driving (at any speed), a lot of people hold there foot on the clutch pedal, this is something you should avoid, the only place where your left foot should be during driving is on the floor otherwise indeed the clutch will wear out. The other thing you shouldn't do is to hold your hand on the stick during driving. If you do this it can cause damage to the synchromesh rings in the transmission so best thing is to keep your right hand on the steeringwheel.
Shifting back to first can be done during driving (transmissions nowadays are made to be able to handle this kind of actions) however it is not advisable (and not necessary) to do it at "high" speed. I only put it back into first during driving when the second gear is not able to smoothly pick up speed again (which is at very very low speed (say max. 10mph!!).
You seem to know a lot.
I found some reasoning to put behind my previous statement. Your other info is nice to know and new to me, but I was correct before in what i was referring to. The reason, I'm told, that one shouldn't hold the clutch in while stopped for a long period of time is because even when your foot is pushing the clutch pedal, the flywheel and the driveshaft(are those the two things that go together that the clutch pedal controls? I just took it from someone else in the thread.) aren't completely apart like one might think- they're actually rubbing eachother slightly which causes excess heat.
I don't know if this is right, does anyone know for certain how these things word inside as opposed to "the way they were taught" like me and most people in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2005, 12:00 AM   #44
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 vert Dinan II

I noticed something, not sure if this is true. My roomie (college) drives a maxima 97. I noticed that if I am cruizing above say 15mph I cannot shift into 1st...like the stick simply wont go there, I feel like something is going to break if I force it. Is this some saftey feature? I used to have a maxima 02 when I was in cairo and it allowed me to shift to any gear i want regardless of speed. hmmmmm...?

Honestly this "safety" if it exsists is anoying, I like to be able to gear brake or downshift whenever I feel like more adrenaline. Does the e90 allow you freedom of shift?

thanks
Appreciate 0