BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
dry_heat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Question Advice on Tires (urgent!)

Looking for some quick advice on which course of action to take with replacing my worn RFTs on my 135i. Discount Tire is running a Memorial Day rebate, so I have to make a purchase by tomorrow (Saturday) in order to qualify should I decide to get a set of tires. Deal is for $75 of mid-level performance, and $100 off high-end.

My rear Bridgestone RFTs are shot. Not quite at the indicators, but close enough to warrant replacement within the next 1,000 miles. I also need an alignment. The fronts are still good, probably have 70% of tread left. Rears wore out in 8,000 miles!

Here are my options:

4 x Hankook Ventus V12s - $780 after 2 rebates (w/ road hazard warranty)

4 x Michelin Super Sports - $1,100 after Discount Tire $100 rebate (w/ road hazard warranty)

2 x Michelin Super Sports - $640 w/ road hazard warranty. $570 no warranty.

I've done the research, I know the Hankooks aren't the best tire and have weak sidewalls, but most of what I read suggests it's still a better tire than the RFTs, significantly more comfortable, and at that price point, it's going to be hard to beat. I also read that slightly over-inflating the tires helps boost response.

I would love the Michelins, and like that they come with a 30,000 tread wear warranty (I believe Discount will honor it despite the tires being staggered, but I need to verify that), but I am not rolling in the dough right now, so blowing $1,100 on tires isn't exactly ideal.

I also need an alignment, and I have active steering, so that adds another $250 to this whole process.

Does anyone think I would benefit best from only replacing the two rears and keeping the RFTs on the front? Is this even worth considering? If I do this, should I also buy the road hazard protection, or should I skip it since it's the rears? I can save $36 a tire by skipping road hazard protection on the Michelins, and around $25 per tire by skipping on the Hankooks. Discount Tire will still prorate replacements for road hazard damage if I don't get the full protection plan.

Any suggestions here would be awesome. I lost my job a couple months back and haven't found a new gig yet, and while I have a healthy amount of savings, I could do a lot with the $300+ between the Hankooks and the Super Sports, and even more with the $500 difference between 4 new Super Sports and only replacing the rears.

I'd just hate to have to deal with this whole process in a year if the Hankooks don't hold up that long.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by dry_heat; 05-25-2013 at 12:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 12:54 AM   #2
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

If money is tight, I'd also suggest looking at the continental extreme contact DW which were about $680 for 4 on tirerack a few weeks back, probably cheaper with the discount tire promo but likely a better all around tire than the hankooks.

Other options might include seeing if anybody online is selling used runflats or the like. There are some shops that specialize in used tires, many times for lease return, and you might be able to find something.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
dry_heat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
If money is tight, I'd also suggest looking at the continental extreme contact DW which were about $680 for 4 on tirerack a few weeks back, probably cheaper with the discount tire promo but likely a better all around tire than the hankooks.

Other options might include seeing if anybody online is selling used runflats or the like. There are some shops that specialize in used tires, many times for lease return, and you might be able to find something.
I've looked at the Continentals but I live in AZ and we really don't get much rain. I've found more negative reviews on that tire than the Hankooks, too.

I have considered trying to find some used rear RFTs but don't know where to start. A cursory search here didn't reveal any options.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

There are these michelins for $100+shipping:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844675

And these for a lil more:

These too:

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
dry_heat
Private
United_States
Rep

I found these: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838498

Sent a PM. I think I am either going to do that, replace the rears with the PSS's, or try to get Discount to pricematch some better deals I found on a full set of PSS's online.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Try www.discountedwheelwarehouse as they seem to have the best prices I had found on PSS, and Discount Tire will match their price + shipping. I think it was around $208/rear tire.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
You definitely want to change all four tires: mixing RFTs and non-RFTs would be inadvisable... And if you do change all four tires, you might consider going square in the process.

And good luck finding a new job.
      05-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
deletedgone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I got the PSS from Discount Tire back in March for a similar price. If you are thinking about going this direction, don't feel like you have to hurry and get the purchase in this weekend. They also price match everywhere, but factored in shipping when comparing to Tire Rack.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
dry_heat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Try www.discountedwheelwarehouse as they seem to have the best prices I had found on PSS, and Discount Tire will match their price + shipping. I think it was around $208/rear tire.
I'm surprised to have actually gotten Discount to match them at an OTD price of $900. Add in the $100 rebate and I can get new PSS's on there for $800 even!

Now the question is, do I want to pay the $130 for their badass tire protection plan? They already include a basic one with the price....
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
dry_heat
Private
United_States
Rep

Screw it, bought the road hazard warranty. $1030.00 OTD plus $150 in rebates... I can't complain.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #11
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
A wise choice - if you're serious about driving you'll appreciate really good tires.
      05-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
dry_heat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
A wise choice - if you're serious about driving you'll appreciate really good tires.
Not going to lie... I'm pretty excited. I had given up on being able to get these tires at the prices I was finding, but thanks to finding the thread on this site recommending Discounted Wheel Warehouse as a basis for a pricematch with Discount, the tires were suddenly within reach.

I can't WAIT to ditch these RFTs. I'll just buy a mini-compressor and I'll be good to go on a road trip.
Appreciate 0