BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
kleach18
Essayons
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Traction control

Probably a stupid question...

While accelerating on the autobahn I shift from 4th to 5th quick the traction lights flashes. I know the tires aren't breaking loose(stock 2013 with just a BMW PE).

Is the traction control just confused? Is it really that restrictive?
/ 135i - M-Sport / 6-Speed / BMW Performance Exhaust / BMS Intake / JB4 Stage 2 ISO + Flex Fuel Wires / BMS 3.5in Down Pipe / CP-E Charge Pipe / Walbro 255 in-line fuel pump / BMS H8 AE / BMS SSK / APEX EC-7's with Nitto NT05's / COBB Tuning Sport Springs / Koni Yellows / Wagner Evo 1 / Blacklines / iCarbon Rear Diffuser / BMW Performance shift knob/boot / BMW Performance Steering Wheel /
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleach18 View Post
Probably a stupid question...

While accelerating on the autobahn I shift from 4th to 5th quick the traction lights flashes. I know the tires aren't breaking loose(stock 2013 with just a BMW PE).

Is the traction control just confused? Is it really that restrictive?
Have the temperatures dropped? If it's near freezing and you still have summer tires, you can't expect the same level of traction.

And if you have winter tires, they tend to break loose (or at least squirm) on dry pavement when subjected to 300 ft lbs of torque.

Either way, I'd be a bit more careful.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
kleach18
Essayons
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Weather is in the low to mid 50's and I'm still on summer tires. To me it seems like during the shift the car just gets confused. Like when I push in the clutch shift then release and build boost quickly the car thinks things are getting out of control. Strange thing is if I quickly hit the DSC button it still does it.. I'm guessing its just that sensitive.
/ 135i - M-Sport / 6-Speed / BMW Performance Exhaust / BMS Intake / JB4 Stage 2 ISO + Flex Fuel Wires / BMS 3.5in Down Pipe / CP-E Charge Pipe / Walbro 255 in-line fuel pump / BMS H8 AE / BMS SSK / APEX EC-7's with Nitto NT05's / COBB Tuning Sport Springs / Koni Yellows / Wagner Evo 1 / Blacklines / iCarbon Rear Diffuser / BMW Performance shift knob/boot / BMW Performance Steering Wheel /
Appreciate 0