BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

FMIC Dyno Comparison

I want to thank Alex @ Helix Motorsports for supplying me the Helix Stepped Core Intercooler as it is really badass. Excellent customer service and extremely fast shipping (took 3 days)! I've seen pictures online and kinda knew what to expect, but wow, seeing it in person next to the stock FMIC is just ridiculous. I think I read somewhere that the stock FMIC is about 7-8lbs, well, the Helix is close to 30lbs lol.

I also want to thank Mike and Shaun @ AWD Motorsports who installed my FMIC, did the dyno runs and fixed a few miscellaneous stuff for me that just made the car run better. I knew them for awhile back when I use to have my Evo9 and they are always a great shop to do business with.

As for the results...well it was pretty massive in my opinion. Unfortunately I do not have the chart on me, but it will be emailed to me later today and I will probably upload it today or in a few days when time permits. I will be honest, I was NOT expecting these kinds of results from just a FMIC, and as soon as I drove it around, it was blatantly obvious that a FMIC was really needed in this Florida hot ass 90+ weather.

Here's the gist of it though on AWD Motorsports Dynojet:

Baseline: JB4 on map 2, Raceland downpipes, Everything else stock including the paper filter = 347whp
Delta: JB4 on map 2, Raceland downpipes, Helix FMIC = 367whp

Power and torque was increased throughout the WHOLE rev range, not just peak power! I don't recall the torque readings, but when I upload the chart you will see just how substantial the gains are even in these poor dyno conditions.

The car feels really good now and does not heatsoak in this terrible weather. I would imagine this car can crack 370-380whp in cooler weather, but for what it did now, I am absolutely happy with how it performed.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management
Major
TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management's Avatar
Rep
Drives: 2012 Abarth 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
I want to thank Alex @ Helix Motorsports for supplying me the Helix Stepped Core Intercooler as it is really badass. Excellent customer service and extremely fast shipping (took 3 days)! I've seen pictures online and kinda knew what to expect, but wow, seeing it in person next to the stock FMIC is just ridiculous. I think I read somewhere that the stock FMIC is about 7-8lbs, well, the Helix is close to 30lbs lol.

I also want to thank Mike and Shaun @ AWD Motorsports who installed my FMIC, did the dyno runs and fixed a few miscellaneous stuff for me that just made the car run better. I knew them for awhile back when I use to have my Evo9 and they are always a great shop to do business with.

As for the results...well it was pretty massive in my opinion. Unfortunately I do not have the chart on me, but it will be emailed to me later today and I will probably upload it today or in a few days when time permits. I will be honest, I was NOT expecting these kinds of results from just a FMIC, and as soon as I drove it around, it was blatantly obvious that a FMIC was really needed in this Florida hot ass 90+ weather.

Here's the gist of it though on AWD Motorsports Dynojet:

Baseline: JB4 on map 2, Raceland downpipes, Everything else stock including the paper filter = 347whp
Delta: JB4 on map 2, Raceland downpipes, Helix FMIC = 367whp

Power and torque was increased throughout the WHOLE rev range, not just peak power! I don't recall the torque readings, but when I upload the chart you will see just how substantial the gains are even in these poor dyno conditions.

The car feels really good now and does not heatsoak in this terrible weather. I would imagine this car can crack 370-380whp in cooler weather, but for what it did now, I am absolutely happy with how it performed.
Glad you are enjoying your purchase, your results are right in line with what we found in the r&d phase. We picked up approximately 22hp through much of the rpm range and a peak of 30hp at 13.5 psi boost!
If you do some 2-3-4 gear datalogs you will see that the ait stays pretty stable( near ambient)and only climbs a few degrees in 3 gears. An advantage the helix has over stock height intercoolers is that the ambient exposed face(core exposed above plastic cowl) is close to 80% larger which means that it will not only keep your aits lower under boost it will also cool the fmic back down more quickly between wot runs. Please post up whatever data you have and have a COOLer summer!

Last edited by TurboBullett@Ambient Thermal Management; 06-17-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
oman135
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

congrats
needs cutting/trimming ?
      06-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Great news. I have a deposit in their summer group buy. Can't wait to get mine.

Here is the group buy thread if anyone is interested: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541686

Last edited by Lambobimmer; 06-17-2011 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep

I did have to trim the bumper a bit but I wouldn't say it was alot of it. The tradeoff for what you get is so worth it though.

That groupbuy is a steal! It is simply worth every penny for what they go for!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
damn, those are some solid gains, very nice
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep

Name:  ryan_135.bmp
Views: 691
Size:  1.40 MB

I will try to get the more accurate sheet as this one clearly shows that the stock intercooler was getting heatsoaked just with a few pulls, but I really do recall that the best run was about 347whp/353wtq on the stock FMIC.

The run on the Helix intercooler is not the best one either, but you can also see that it was still putting out decent numbers and still a vast improvement over stock. Don't mind the spikes at the end as that was when the transmission shifted in manual mode.

I will try to get it updated later on for a more accurate sheet.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
cmdboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: One fast car

Nice number... No intake and you hit 367? My FMIC, intake, dp and Procede was at 390... About 400 in colder weather..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
uratomb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 135i

That's some nice number over there!!

So tempting to get a fmic now...
Appreciate 0