BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
natrotciv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

BMW warranty fail, any techs out there to help?

Ok, so i have down pipes back exhaust and i wanted to get the annoying ticking sound demolished from my car permanently. ive read that it could either be the valves or the wastegate so i replaced everything in front of the turbos. BUT bmw still voided my warranty to get my turbos replaced cause they said that i have an aftermarket exhaust. IMO i believe that the dps and exhaust have nothing to do with voiding the warranty, therefore they should replace the turbos without a problem. I was hoping to get some advice out there as to what i can say to the tech to make him reconsider his decision to voiding the warranty.

i paid 150 to get the dps installed and i dont want to have to pay 300 to get it removed and put back on after i get new turbos. when i had a honda and they refused to warranty my axles after they busted because they claimed that "someone must have stabbed it to make it leak" i yelled at them and demanded that i speak to someone above their authority. Luckily for me the state supervisor was there so he told me that they would do it. but i dont think my luck will swing that way again.

soooo, has anybody had this problem with bmw or are there any techs out that would possibly give me some pointers as to what i may say that would prove them wrong? I know that there are a hand full of 1ers out there that has the ticking problem on a stock car, so i know its an issue from bmw and not from the dps and exhaust itself. if there is any help out there, any amount of info would be a big help. Thanks you guys!

Last edited by natrotciv; 11-17-2010 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

WHY do you need new turbos? What makes you think that they are bad?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Bad move...
You should have taken the DP's off before showing your car to a BMW tech.
They mount directly to the turbo manifold and they can make a good argument that either the downpipes themselves or a bad install/uninstall caused your failed turbos. Unfortunately, your car has probably already been flagged as modified (all warranty claims will be denied for you), but if you are lucky it hasn't.
Just pay the $150 to remove them and take your car to a different dealership.
I am pretty sure that $300 is worth a turbo replacement.

Just my 0.2

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
2013 M3 6MT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
BuckarooVT90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Z4 sDrive35i DCT

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
ouch... whats wrong with your turbo's? Uninstalling and reinstalling the dps would've still been cheaper then buying new turbo's and getting them installed....
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
natrotciv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
WHY do you need new turbos? What makes you think that they are bad?
the bmw service advisor told me when he called me that they were going to replace my turbos because of the sound, i didnt think they were bad at all. i thought they were just going to replace one of the valves like mentioned on one of the threads here. but now that they said they are going to replace my turbos but wont cause exhaust, im more motivated to getting new turbos lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUT View Post
Bad move...
You should have taken the DP's off before showing your car to a BMW tech.
They mount directly to the turbo manifold and they can make a good argument that either the downpipes themselves or a bad install/uninstall caused your failed turbos. Unfortunately, your car has probably already been flagged as modified (all warranty claims will be denied for you), but if you are lucky it hasn't.
Just pay the $150 to remove them and take your car to a different dealership.
I am pretty sure that $300 is worth a turbo replacement.

Just my 0.2
300 is a lot when your just a college student... :/ and he told me that if i replace the exhaust to "oem" then theyll do the warranty... idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckarooVT90 View Post
ouch... whats wrong with your turbo's? Uninstalling and reinstalling the dps would've still been cheaper then buying new turbo's and getting them installed....
agreed, but i dont think its technically the turbos that are the problem. it could be something internal like the cylinder in the valves that need to be replaced and they dont want to so theyre saying its the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
Thaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

You're most likely screwed. It's their word against yours, and it's up to you to prove without a doubt that your modifications didn't cause the turbos to fail.

When a dealer has a customer bring in a car with a blown turbo and the car has aftermarket exhaust installed, the car has been modified to operate beyond the limits deemed acceptable from the factory.

I think the lesson you're about to learn is..."You gotta pay to play"

edit: It sounds like your dealer is willing to help you out if you return your car to stock. Better find a few friends with tools, feed them beer and pizza, and get to work!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
instag8tr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 sphr blk 135i

where are you located?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
natrotciv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddy View Post
You're most likely screwed. It's their word against yours, and it's up to you to prove without a doubt that your modifications didn't cause the turbos to fail.

When a dealer has a customer bring in a car with a blown turbo and the car has aftermarket exhaust installed, the car has been modified to operate beyond the limits deemed acceptable from the factory.

I think the lesson you're about to learn is..."You gotta pay to play"

edit: It sounds like your dealer is willing to help you out if you return your car to stock. Better find a few friends with tools, feed them beer and pizza, and get to work!
its not a blown turbo, its just the annoying ticking sound and i want it gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by instag8tr View Post
where are you located?
houston tx :/
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
Thaddy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If the turbo is constantly ticking, then it's not healthy. I doubt the dealership will replace the turbo just because they think it's the culprit of a ticking sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
natrotciv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

it does constantly tick. everything i let go of the gas then the ticking starts again, and when i take it out of gear, ticking is there at a stop light. makes my car look like a pos... haha
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
sorry to hear about this victor
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #12
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Ive only noticed a ticking noise during bone cold starts. THATS IT!!! I thought this was normal, however its an intermittent problem. Should I bring my car in?
Myles
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #13
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddy View Post
Well, technically speaking, the legal burden is on BMW to prove that the mods are the cause of the problem. But speaking practically, that means going to court, and it's just not worth it.
      11-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #14
natrotciv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
sorry to hear about this victor
thanks bryce, ill definitely let you know what happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Ive only noticed a ticking noise during bone cold starts. THATS IT!!! I thought this was normal, however its an intermittent problem. Should I bring my car in?
Myles
sounds like youre car is the "normal" ticking noise where it only happens on cold starts, but mine, unfortunately, ticks all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
Well, technically speaking, the legal burden is on BMW to prove that the mods are the cause of the problem. But speaking practically, that means going to court, and it's just not worth it.
yea, thats true. i think what im going to do is just print out all the threads about people having the ticking noise on the car bone stock and show it to the service manager and hopefully that will prove to them that its not the exhaust that caused the noise.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 12:58 AM   #15
natrotciv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
I think you need an attitude adjustment that BMW and the dealer owes you. Not removing the modifications before taking it in for warranty was a mistake, but maybe putting them on was also.

Basically, it seems you are in the right (maybe), but because of your approach, the service manager and probably BMW will make you go to the considerable lengths to prove it.

Hope this perspective helps. Honey gets more flies than vinegar.
i really dont understand your confucianism sayings man... but i will try my best to get the ticking fixed under warranty
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #16
jojo135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 135i

Dude, u need to count your blessings that the tech. Will fix it under warranty period. U need to take the exhaust off my friend. The guy is throwing you a huge juicy bone here and u are thinking yelling at them is the answer! He told u to take it back without mods because if bmw na walks in to audit the warranty claim and sees an after market exhaust on there, they are way more screwed than u. The dealer isn't owned by bmw and therefore bmw pays them to do the warranty work on the cars bmw makes. Do you think they won't get penalized for breaking bmw's rules for warranty claims?

Geeese...take them off, go get the turbos put on and consider yourself VERY lucky because u just saved over 3k and u still have a warranty. If u loose your warranty, good luck trying to sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #17
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

From what you're describing, it looks like you're getting wastegate rattle. The actual turbo going bad will sound more like a siren than anything else. Adjustment of the rear wastegate is possible without removing anything besides exhaust but the front turbo needs to come off to get to the wastegate. In extreme cases the entire turbo gets replaced since the gate is built into the housing, and pretty much everything is one solid piece.

Search over on e90post and you'll find plenty of data to support your claim.

The rattle won't actually hurt anything but is more of an annoyance than anything else.

I definitely suggest just throwing the stock exhaust or at least DP's back on regardless of the 300 bucks, and take it to a different dealer. If that's too much money, just get a basic socket set, jack+stands, and torx bits/sockets to do it yourself. I've done the swap a few times before and it takes only 2-3 hrs to do yourself.

If you wanna take a swing at adjusting the rear gate yourself, check out this thread : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ate+adjustment

Good luck!

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #18
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

you have a good service manager at that dealership.... it's your choice though 300 or 3000$

but if the service manager was nice enough to say "if you bring back the car with stock parts on it, we'll fix it" I would totally take advantage of that situation... Drive like a grandma for a few weeks and you'll have that 300$ back in your pocket from fuel savings.

or like others have said, a couple friends, a few beers, and you're in business. It's an unfortunate situation, but at the same time, you've been given a green light for warranty work if you play nicely.

you're lucky they didn't flag your car.

besides, the chance that the installer of the DPs might have knocked a impeller blade or something of one of the turbos while working on the car.... Just put the stock pipes on and go along with it all.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #19
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by natrotciv View Post
i really dont understand your confucianism sayings man... but i will try my best to get the ticking fixed under warranty
Its the wastegates on the turbo's...trust me it is. Anyway the only way to "fix" with hardware is to replace the turbo's...alternatively if you were tuned with the Procede you could use the wastegate adjustment setting and make the sound lessen or completely go away. It sux but it is what it is....
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #20
BruceWarne
Private
Rep

You are one lucky SOB.
You're getting a 2nd chance.
You're not getting screwed here, you're being given a huge gift.
Your warranty should be gone, but you still have it, and all you can do is whine and moan.
Take off the DP's, take the car in for the work, and then count your blessings.
You're getting a heck of a lot more than what you're entitled to.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #21
natrotciv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWarne View Post
You are one lucky SOB.
You're getting a 2nd chance.
You're not getting screwed here, you're being given a huge gift.
Your warranty should be gone, but you still have it, and all you can do is whine and moan.
Take off the DP's, take the car in for the work, and then count your blessings.
You're getting a heck of a lot more than what you're entitled to.
I do understan that i am lucky about this whole ordeal. But like i mentioned, being a college student and having to pay for my school and then drop 300 is a little out of my price range. Can you sponsor me?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #22
skeltah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

if you can afford a 30k+ car.. you should be able to pay 300 bucks to get the DP's taken off. If not, you might want to think about selling it to buy something more within your budget. Or, you could just suck it up and take them off yourself.
Appreciate 0