BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-17-2008, 12:56 AM   #23
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
If you just want a plain, simple finish, and you don't really want to obsess over detailing...

There is a reason I have fifteen or twenty different polishes, seven or eight different polishing pads, two different polishers and enough lights to recreate a WWII air raid movie set, but that's a different post.
Yeah...I don't want to get that obsessed!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 01:11 AM   #24
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Yep, agreed, but the casual car owner owns a Camry or an Accord, 1er drivers should at least learn about the basics.
Very true...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #25
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
Living in South Florida, having a "clean car" is sometimes more important even than what you drive. So I have tried many products. Here are the basic categories of wax : Abrasive paste, Carnuaba, Silicone, Teflon, Polymer.

Turtle Wax gives that glossy feel because it is abrasive and you are literally sanding your car's paint. Smooth....of course. Will your paint last past 3 years? Hell no. Next is Carnuaba, we all know this one, it's great, but it is a heck of a lot of work to apply and buff.

Next is silicone...NEVER USE THIS!! If you ever use silicone and want to touch up any nicks/dings in your paint, you can't. The paint shop will refuse to do it and force you to sand/paint the entire panel. Silicone absorbs into any imperfection in your paint and then starts to lift the paint from your car. It can only be fully removed by sanding, and it can't be painted on top of.

Teflon is great, lasts a year or more, but it must be professionally applied to truly work, and it does remove a bit of your paint, so after 5 years or so, your paint is shot. Be careful on using this one.

Also, none of the first three types can be "stacked". If you think you are putting on "three coats of wax", you aren't. Each new application buffs off the last. The only way to stack your wax is to use polymer wax, which makes a hard shell, so once it is dry, you can apply more.

I have been using a polymer wax product called "Liquid Glass" for about 6 years now. A coworker who did cars for car shows put me onto it. Very expensive, $20 for a can of it, but once you put on a couple of coats, your car is LITERALLY slick as glass. If you get a "California Duster" and dust your car off each day as well, your car will stay spotlessly clean for about 3 to 4 weeks (not in the snowy north of course, different story there).

I have been trying the new NanoWax lately, I use it on my second car (my commuter car) since I don't worry about it as much as my 135cic, and the NanoWax is nice, and is not harming the paint. However, it is not as strong. It is more for basic "super quick" wax jobs when you run out of time and simply need to wax quickly.

Oh, and one last thing. I saw mention of the Clay Bar. Definite caution for that, it is only for paint that is in bad shape, and after you use it twice, you need to replace it, as all the dirt it picks up will then be used to scratch up your car when you prolong its use. Only use this if you have fading or bad wear/tear on your paint.

Good luck in finding Liquid Glass. Hard to find, but absolutely worth it.
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)
A few more
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:37 AM   #26
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird View Post
Turtle Wax gives that glossy feel because it is abrasive and you are literally sanding your car's paint.
Turtle Wax! You've failed me!

I guess Zaino it is...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #27
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
I just took a look at the Zaino site, it does appear to be interesting. It says it is a "synthetic polymer" wax, and it talks about how to properly "cure" its product, which indicates it is a polymer. So, it would be interesting to hear about how it does.

Here is the info from its site

Zaino Surface Protectant Products

Z-2 PRO Clear Coat Finish Protectant – Clearly, Z-2 PRO is our flagship product. The extraordinary gloss, shine, depth, clarity, and reflectivity make Z-2 PRO the highest rated and most respected product in the industry. Z-2 PRO is so easy and applies so thin that an 8 ounce bottle can yield up to 24 applications of product! Durability, looks, ease of use, and cost per application make Z-2 PRO the pure winner.
– 8 fl oz., $14.95 – 12-16 applications

Z-3 Single Stage Finish Protectant – Z-3 for non-clear coated regular paint offers the wettest looking and deepest finish you can imagine, making it look like you have a clear coat! With the same synthetic technology as Z-2, Z-3 is formulated to meet the needs of standard paints, which tend to oxidize, shrink and lose its resiliency faster. It also includes a custom blend of emulsifiers that gently condition and maintain the paint, and does so without a lot of rubbing.
– 8 fl oz., $14.95 – 12-16 applications

Z-5 PRO Swirl & Fine Scratch Protectant – Darker colored vehicles are prone by the easily visible surface marring or fine scratches from regular maintenance. Z-5 PRO and its micro filling technology gradually reduce the appearance of these surface imperfections without using any abrasives. Without using cheap oils or cheap fillers that merely last until your next car wash, Z-5 PRO protects and lasts like no other product. – 8 fl oz., $16.95 – 12-16 applications

ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive – Quite simply, there isn’t anything like ZFX in the industry. With any surface wax or sealant, there are proper dry time and cure times. The product simply isn’t ready for successive applications of product until the wax or sealant is dry and cured. ZFX accelerates both. This is critical for those that choose to rapidly layer applications of Z-2 PRO, Z-3, or Z-5 PRO. ZFX usage will increase the hardness and durability of the Zaino system as a whole. – 2 ml., $19.95 – enough for up to 32 oz.

Z-CS Clear Seal – Z-CS is an advanced total synthetic polymer protectant that is simply wiped on, and you’re done. Z-CS does not require buffing or residue removal. Z-CS is wiped on and simply allowed to disappear into the paint, leaving behind a super gloss. You can use Z-CS on paint, glass, wheels, plastic, or trim to lock in the protection, durability, slickness, and gloss that Zaino is most popular for. – 6 fl oz., $29.95 – 24-48 applications
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)
A few more
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #28
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

I know it is pricey, but I usually get the Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit when I order from them. It will last for quite a while - other than the claybar. I agree that you should probably only use it twice. It has pretty much everything I need to do a full job on my car - well other than internal leather treatment. But, let's not start a leather debate. :smile:

I find that I do need to use the claybar to remove sap and things like that. I know that not everyone agrees with that, but I find that step essential before sealing it with Zaino.

One tip that the pretty good instructions sort of glosses over... Dry it PERFECTLY before applying Zaino because the polish will effectively put a shiny clear coat over any water spots that might be on the paint. They'll be immortalized forever. Or until you remove the layer of Zaino or it wears off anyway...

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #29
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

MEGAMAN: I have used the Turtle Wax Platinum liquid wax and the Turtle Wax Platinum spray detailer. Both are GOOD to GREAT OTC products for cheap prices! Trust me, I have used many, many products. Their ICE range is pretty good too.

Today I purchased the new Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer and it is so good that I will be replacing my two fav detailers with it: TW Platinum & Pinnancle Souveran spray mist!

AT the moment I am using in this order:

1. Wash with Optimum No Rinse
2. Clean paint with Turtle Wax ICE Liquid Clay (works not bad)
3. Polish/remove swirls with Autoglym Super Resin polish (great all rounder product)
4. Protect with Collinite 845 liquid wax. (cheap & v.reflective)
5. Top with Pinnacle Souveran wax (if more depth needed)
6. Clean up with Meguairs Ultimate Quik Detailer.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #30
soupy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Quote:
Today I purchased the new Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer and it is so good that I will be replacing my two fav detailers with it: TW Platinum & Pinnancle Souveran spray mist!
I love this stuff too, by far my favorite OTC detailing product. I think I like it even more than Zaino Z-6 due to the ease of application and how it wipes, but Z-6 definitely "cleans" better due to its concentrated solution. I keep the Meguiar's UD in the trunk all the time.

Turtle Wax ICE Liquid Clay is actually not so bad either. Great for those who don't trust themselves using a traditional clay bar (not very hard, just add more lube :smile.

Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, Sport Package, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #31
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
MEGAMAN:
Thanks for the personalized reply! :biggrin:

I've used Meguiar's in the past, and haven't liked it. Maybe I'll try it again in the future.

As it stands right now...this thread has scared me into ordering some Zaino. We'll see how it goes :iono:
Appreciate 0