BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-15-2017, 09:01 PM   #155
metblkbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 1M

Garage List
2011 bmw  [0.00]
Thank you
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      07-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #156
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by metblkbmw View Post
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #157
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChassisGuy View Post
Just wanted to share my experience. I replaced my front pads and rotors while keeping the non-damaged pad sensors (as others have). Also recently flushed all fluids prior to a track day. I recently got the service warning and then the red service light with the overdue mileage count. I got up to -300 before attempting a reset.

From some of the other posts I was worried I would have to go to the dealer, but gave this method a try anyway. Here's what I did:

1) Reset front brake and got the "-----" instead of mileage
2) Reset the "lift" service and got a new service date
3) Went back and reset the front brake again and the mileage was reset

Make sure you try a second reset before taking it to the dealer!

Chris
Thank you. I've been struggling with eliminating the Lift symbol. I will try this. I keep getting ---- with the pads.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #158
Donegal-BMW
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible E88

Question Newbie ! Need help - Front & Back Pads read "---------"

Read through this thread, but unfortunately did not get a solution to my problem :-).

Once I put the cpu into reset mode as described above, and scroll through the various items I can reset, my Front and Back brake pad indicators read (----------) Miles, I press and hold the RESET the little clock does a full 360 rotation, but reading is stil "--------". ttried on both front and back with no success.
So when I start the car up the icon with CAR on a Lift is shown, and then I have constant red BRAKE warning light.

So can someone help point me to a fix for reseting the Fornt/Back Brake pads to something greater that "---------".

Cheers
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2018, 03:46 AM   #159
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donegal-BMW View Post
Read through this thread, but unfortunately did not get a solution to my problem :-).

Once I put the cpu into reset mode as described above, and scroll through the various items I can reset, my Front and Back brake pad indicators read (----------) Miles, I press and hold the RESET the little clock does a full 360 rotation, but reading is stil "--------". ttried on both front and back with no success.
So when I start the car up the icon with CAR on a Lift is shown, and then I have constant red BRAKE warning light.

So can someone help point me to a fix for reseting the Fornt/Back Brake pads to something greater that "---------".

Cheers
Once your brake pad light(s) turn red... you need to replace the pad sensor(s)(one for each axle) and then have a dealer reset the light.

There was one post here where one forum user shorted the wires and tried to reset it. Somehow he got it to reset. But many others have also tried that method and were not successful.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #160
Donegal-BMW
Rep

Dackel:
Cheers for the response, I had the front Disks & Pads done by a reputable BMW/Porsche Workshop here in WA approx 6K Miles ago. If my Front pads are now reading (-------) then they obviously did not reset them correctly at the time. I brought the car to them yeterday, owner hooked up his diagnostics computer, stated that Front were good and back were low but not needing replacement just yet. I know the process...next is get me in replace pads and disks on rear and at same time re calibrate the pad millage settings, My preference would be able to re-set the settings my self - there has to be a way to do this with out going to the dealer :-).
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #161
Donegal-BMW
Rep

I also checked out / follwed the steps defined in this "YouTube Video" with no sucess :-)

I still end up with " mls ------ " being displayed. :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #162
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donegal-BMW View Post
Dackel:
Cheers for the response, I had the front Disks & Pads done by a reputable BMW/Porsche Workshop here in WA approx 6K Miles ago. If my Front pads are now reading (-------) then they obviously did not reset them correctly at the time. I brought the car to them yeterday, owner hooked up his diagnostics computer, stated that Front were good and back were low but not needing replacement just yet. I know the process...next is get me in replace pads and disks on rear and at same time re calibrate the pad millage settings, My preference would be able to re-set the settings my self - there has to be a way to do this with out going to the dealer :-).
Did they replace the brake pad wear sensors ? New pads and rotors doesn't mean new sensors were replaced. It might be time to go to another shop or even a dealership.

I bet they didn't replace the pad wear sensors. I think that's your problem. Then you can try to reset using the video you posted.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #163
Donegal-BMW
Rep

Just ordered 2 new sensors - will swap them out and see if I can reset.
Tks.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      05-30-2018, 09:05 PM   #164
Redrumrobert
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

nice!!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 02:25 AM   #165
chrispy104
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i White w Coral

Read through all the posts with the key word "interval' to try and find if someone had successfully changed the Oil change interval value but wasn't able to find anything. Can it be done or is the setting a fixed value? I have done 68,000 km and managed to reset an annoying 'SERVICE' advice but noted that the Oil Can icon has a value of 31000km. Seems a bit odd. It's not a daily driver, rather it is basically a weekend car therefore very few Km's are accrued over the year.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 06:51 AM   #166
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy104 View Post
Read through all the posts with the key word "interval' to try and find if someone had successfully changed the Oil change interval value but wasn't able to find anything. Can it be done or is the setting a fixed value? I have done 68,000 km and managed to reset an annoying 'SERVICE' advice but noted that the Oil Can icon has a value of 31000km. Seems a bit odd. It's not a daily driver, rather it is basically a weekend car therefore very few Km's are accrued over the year.
You can change it via car coding.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #167
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I've purchased new pads (Brembo) and sensors and may replace my brakes Saturday when I change the oil. But I checked the pads when my light came on and they are fine, I don't think they really need to be replaced. I also tried shorting out the sensors and I was still unable to reset the service due for the brakes. I will try again with two new sensors and new pads (not that the car knows the pads were replaced).

But what I would like to do is to code out all the service due warnings - or if that is not possible, code the intervals to be so long it is essentially coding them out. Does anybody know which software module contains these settings (I use NCSExpert for coding).
      01-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #168
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

JimD I asked some of my BMW friends... they tell me it's not possible to code out the brake pad wear light(s).

IF you have a RED brake pad wear light... you will need new sensor(s). There is one per axle.

When you replace the pad sensor... you "could" just plug it into the car's chassis harness but NOT the brake pad itself. This would do the same thing as coding out the lamp. Just be sure to check your pads for wear over time. You could use a zip to to tidy things up inside the wheel well housing.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #169
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy104 View Post

I think it's possible since BMW did that for our cars in 2013 model year, they changed the oil change interval from 15K miles to 10K miles.

You probably need to use NCSExpert for coding that. I am not sure IF BMWCarly can change that oil service interval. Perhaps ask them - before buying that app.

Dack
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #170
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Dackel,

Thanks for the response. If I can just get the silly light to go off I may just leave it alone. If it does not go out, I will probably just take the gauge cluster out and try removing the bulb. I can reset the other reminders when they come up. I've been managing the maintenance on my vehicles for over 45 years now, I really don't need the "help" from these reminders.

I'm not sure what the issue is now, I thought maybe it was the rear wear sensor so I got one, plugged it in (not the easiest since the plug is under the inner wheel well piece) and zip tied it up (didn't put it in the pad). But I did not do the front. But I got one of each with the pads so hopefully this will do it.

This kind of thing is the most likely factor if I decide to replace my 128i with another brand. I REALLY do not like my car thinking it knows more than me because some German engineer set it up that way. The speedometer you cannot get to read true speed is another example. It isn't a big deal to me to have a service reminder for the brakes but making it so riduculously difficult to reset is nonsense. I drive manual transmission cars and I did not need brakes, was not even close to needing brakes, when the service reminder went off. If the wear sensors were broken it was not from brake wear. Speedometer is the same way. Program it any silly way you want to but don't make it impossible for me to correct. These are annoyances, they got a lot more right than wrong but the things they got wrong are so unnecessary it is really annoying.

Anyway, thanks again.

Jim
Dackelone10511.00
      05-01-2019, 04:08 PM   #171
Gman68
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

I have fought with the red brake light for a very long time. I replaced front and rear pads, both front and rear sensor. I tried two options that I found online, shorting the pins and pressing the trip reset. I would just get the ----. Not sure how I figured this out.

My wife's car is a 2010 BMW 128i with automatic transmission.

1. Set the parking brake first.
2. Insert key fob and turn ignition on. (Do not start the car.)
3. Shift car into Neutral.
4. Press the odometer reset button until you get the yellow triangle.
5. Now you can scroll through to the brakes then use the BC to reset.

I will try to get a video of this procedure and better instructions.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      08-05-2019, 11:52 PM   #172
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I've purchased new pads (Brembo) and sensors and may replace my brakes Saturday when I change the oil. But I checked the pads when my light came on and they are fine, I don't think they really need to be replaced. I also tried shorting out the sensors and I was still unable to reset the service due for the brakes. I will try again with two new sensors and new pads (not that the car knows the pads were replaced).

But what I would like to do is to code out all the service due warnings - or if that is not possible, code the intervals to be so long it is essentially coding them out. Does anybody know which software module contains these settings (I use NCSExpert for coding).
There are two types of brake pad warnings.

1-CBS (conditions based system )brake warnings
2- Brake wear linings (pad based )

CBS brake warnings are determined by the car based on your driving. They likely will prompt you to bring your car In long before the pads are actually worn.

Brake wear lining indicators are on the left front and right rear corners of the brake systems on the car. When a pad lining is worn initially in newer bmws the brake light in the dash will come on yellow. As the pad wear indicator totally gets worn through this changes the brake indicator to red.

Annoyingly , The BRAKE light in the dash will stay on after the parking brake is removed and stays on while you drive.

Additionally there are lift warnings appear in the dash as well. It appears that one can reset the wear linings by installing new sensors and new pads if done before a certain time frame after the warnings begin.

However , the conditions based warnings , if exceeded by a long time, become a RED LIFT symbol , which if ignored too long , CANNOT be reset except by a dealer. The CBS warnings count down with a mileage to go. And once you have passed the recommended stop mileage by, say, 1000 miles , no amount of pad , sensor reset procedure replacement including icarly will work.

I was able to re-set the CBS and the brake wear indicators with icarly , Carly confirmed that I was resetting the CBS as well as the brake lining indicators but I could NOT get the lift indicator to remove.

Once my dealer could confirm that I had replaced the pads and the sensors , they reset the car for me for free.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00