Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

03-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #45
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoz View Post
The flywheel is different... and I think some internal parts of the engine are forged instead of cast, allowing more boost... but I'm not sure.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463733
I didn't know about the flywheel. Nice, as that allows the engine to build rpm easier, quicker response.
Don't know that anything in the tuning would need to be different for that though.

Yes, BMW did beefed up some internals, which helps increase longevity due to the higher stock power.
Still, the non M N54 has shown that it can handle a lot of boost.
Now as for how long, how many miles, we don't have many high mileage extra boosted N54's to know exactly.
Those parts are for dealing with greater stresses, but don't change the tuning. Given the maximum boost that these little turbo's can give, the N54's have been able to handle it well so far.
Now if someone really wants to create huge power, then the beefed up M N54 has the advantage as it should be able to handle bigger turbo's that could give greater boost. Yet that would be an altogether different tune.

I'm still waiting to read if there is anything greatly different with the M version of the N54 that would necessitate a different tune though.
BMW pretty much took the N54 and beefed it up to help deal with the added boost they gave it, as BMW has to cover the engine for 50K miles, and then beyond. They don't want it to survive just for 50K or 100K, but longer as it will eventually effect consumer perception.

I don't mean this in a mean or negative way, but the 1M is using a not so unique engine. It's the N54 built to be stronger. It's not a unique engine compared to other M cars. I don't think that's a bad thing though, as some others really knock or knocked the 1M for that reason.
I've seen and read how great of an M the 1M is, and by using an engine that isn't that unique allows people to buy one hell of a car for one hell of deal price wise.

My 135i lease is up in June. If the 1M was available in quantity so that people could lease one, I'd be all up in it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #46
nicoz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I didn't know about the flywheel. Nice, as that allows the engine to build rpm easier, quicker response.
Don't know that anything in the tuning would need to be different for that though.

Yes, BMW did beefed up some internals, which helps increase longevity due to the higher stock power.
Still, the non M N54 has shown that it can handle a lot of boost.
Now as for how long, how many miles, we don't have many high mileage extra boosted N54's to know exactly.
Those parts are for dealing with greater stresses, but don't change the tuning. Given the maximum boost that these little turbo's can give, the N54's have been able to handle it well so far.
Now if someone really wants to create huge power, then the beefed up M N54 has the advantage as it should be able to handle bigger turbo's that could give greater boost. Yet that would be an altogether different tune.

I'm still waiting to read if there is anything greatly different with the M version of the N54 that would necessitate a different tune though.
BMW pretty much took the N54 and beefed it up to help deal with the added boost they gave it, as BMW has to cover the engine for 50K miles, and then beyond. They don't want it to survive just for 50K or 100K, but longer as it will eventually effect consumer perception.

I don't mean this in a mean or negative way, but the 1M is using a not so unique engine. It's the N54 built to be stronger. It's not a unique engine compared to other M cars. I don't think that's a bad thing though, as some others really knock or knocked the 1M for that reason.
I've seen and read how great of an M the 1M is, and by using an engine that isn't that unique allows people to buy one hell of a car for one hell of deal price wise.
I get you. But "beefed up stronger internals" = "beefed up tune" for the same reliability. If the engine were all forged, it could handle an even more agressive tune, for sure. Besides that, I think it's pretty close with the 135i, engine wise... the 135i being an awsome car!!

I've tried both stock... and the feeling you get from driving the 1M is so much better!

My 135i lease is up in June. If the 1M was available in quantity so that people could lease one, I'd be all up in it. [/QUOTE] Just go and get one... and you'll be sold!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #47
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoz View Post
I get you. But "beefed up stronger internals" = "beefed up tune" for the same reliability. If the engine were all forged, it could handle an even more agressive tune, for sure. Besides that, I think it's pretty close with the 135i, engine wise... the 135i being an awsome car!!

I've tried both stock... and the feeling you get from driving the 1M is so much better!

My 135i lease is up in June. If the 1M was available in quantity so that people could lease one, I'd be all up in it.
Just go and get one... and you'll be sold![/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat as you. My lease is up at the end of June as well.
BMW doesn't have a replacement 2 series yet, and the 1M's are gone, new for lease anyway.

I'm looking at options now.
One is to keep my 135i, try to get a deal on a buy-out and get a certified warranty. I can keep it for a year or two and by then the new 2 series will be out. I only have about 27K miles on my 135i and drive about 10K per year. So by next year it will only have about 39K and still have 2 more years and 60K warranty. Should be easy to sell.

Another option is to go with then new 328i sport or Msport,
or a 335i sport/Msport. Leasing, the difference between equally optioned 328i and 335i is about $50-$60. Not bad at all.

The 3rd option is to go with a 135i vert with DSG.
At least it would be different than my N54 MT coupe.
I won't go into a 135i again as there is no need. If I want a 135i, mine is the best deal going.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #48
nicoz
Private First Class
Rep

Hey,

Cobb AP for the Nissan GT-R has got live map switching... maybe soon with the 1M?...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #49
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 325i, 2012 135i

Newbee here. Are you writing about the software download that BMW calls "Performance Power Kit"? If so, is the BMW Pwr Kit any good?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #50
VO 1M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

this is in the 1M section. There is no power kit for the 1M
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #51
Wichard20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3CS

I am glad there are so many choices. I had a JB4 and a Cobb on my other BMW. Good but not good enough to keep me as a repeat buyer. Looks like Evolve or ESS will be in my sights if I decide to tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 02:28 AM   #52
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheil View Post
You can, bottom right it says "view poll results"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Uhhhh, yes, and this is exactly the issue with the current Beta. The 1M behaves like a tuned 135i, not the smooth and linear M car it ought to be (and is in stock form)... Hence why final version of Stage 1 is so widely anticipated. Hopefully all this time since its 'Christmas release' is used to further develop it, though for a long time they didn't even have a shop car any more...
I will have to disagree. The 1M behaves and drives unlike any 135i or 335i N54 with similar or exact same hardware and on GIAC Stage 1 or 2. None of the 135i or 335i I have flashed with GIAC have nearly the same crisp throttle response as the 1M(M button off).
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #53
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Why is usage of Cobb so high? Their website indicates that Stage 1 is still in Beta and gains are only 4%HP / 15%TQ.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #54
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Why is usage of Cobb so high? Their website indicates that Stage 1 is still in Beta and gains are only 4%HP / 15%TQ.
Likely half of the people voted don't even own a BMW 1M or have really have any of these flashes installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 03:50 AM   #55
Hobbe
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: AW E82 1M

BSR :
Flash
http://en.bsr.se
Price around €800
Engine warranty included

Modifications:
BSR flash
N55 midpipes
Wagner intercooler

Measured on a Dynapack last summer:
http://www.dynapack.com

Result (crank):
414 PS (408 hp)
636 Nm (469 Lb-Ft)

Issues:
None

Usage:
I put most of the milage on local race tracks
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #56
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
ESS Stage 1, Gen 2. Just installed. So far, very happy. Great customer service. Asbjorn was very quick to respond and is quite professional. Install was easy, and it's nice to be able to revert to stock rather quickly without a dealer trip. Includes cable as well.
      03-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #57
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Many people choose cobb for one or all of 3 reasons unique to the cobb ap

-can buy used and resell when done and want to sell the car or no longer run a tune
-easy flashing process
-can be e-tuned or protuned on a dyno
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:12 AM   #58
dEvo6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbe View Post
BSR :
Flash
http://en.bsr.se
Price around €800
Engine warranty included

Modifications:
BSR flash
N55 midpipes
Wagner intercooler

Measured on a Dynapack last summer:
http://www.dynapack.com

Result (crank):
414 PS (408 hp)
636 Nm (469 Lb-Ft)

Issues:
None

Usage:
I put most of the milage on local race tracks
Same option and responses for me. Haven't dynoed it yet till now.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #59
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 Comp, MPE, stage 1

Ray West Tuning custom map (454/530 bhp/lbft)

Can we have a RayWestTuning or "other" option?

cheers Jamie
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #60
playjeff323
Rep

at began
i use Cobb,but cant feel a big different as i expected,
after 2 weeks,i change it to JB4,pull crazy after 4k rpm
my mod list:
akropohic down pipe,akropohic full evolution exhaust,ER charge pipe with turbo smart DV
evolve FMIC,ER oil cooler,aFe intake
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #61
Blue55
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
I will have to disagree. The 1M behaves and drives unlike any 135i or 335i N54 with similar or exact same hardware and on GIAC Stage 1 or 2. None of the 135i or 335i I have flashed with GIAC have nearly the same crisp throttle response as the 1M(M button off).
I agree with Harold. I run GIAC stage 2 on my 1M and I've driven several tuned 135s with N54 and N55. None them feel as instantly responsive or put down nearly the same torque (as measured by my butt) as my 1M. I've dynoed my car and on a Mustang and I track it regularly. It's an excellent tune and I've never gone into 'limp mode' at the track unlike some of the piggyback guys I've met who are scratching their heads in the pits. Excellent post-sales support from them as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #62
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
From what I've seen from some dynos, it doesn't look like a 1M really needs an aftermarket tune. I don't know where BMW rates the 1M but it too low. Dyno comparisions seem to have it putting very similar hp to the 400hp rated M3. So I'd bet a stock 1M would dyno very similar to most non-meth tuned 135s or 335s. If a tune is only gonna gain 30ish hp, why tune and run into warranty, etc. issues. I guess I could see it more if you plan to run meth, etc.

The other funny thing though, is on a 135, a tune with supporting mods gains you more like 100hp. But then you can't find wheels that will allow you to put on big enough tires to put this Hp on the ground. For example my wheels are fairly similar to many of the 135 aftermarket wheels and I recently tried to install 255 rear Michelin PSS's and I rub very bad. A few years ago I had went as far as buying a Procede with meth setup but with just the Procede I realized meth would be fairly useless since I was already just spinning my tires into third gear even with my aftermarket LSD.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #63
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
From what I've seen from some dynos, it doesn't look like a 1M really needs an aftermarket tune. I don't know where BMW rates the 1M but it too low. Dyno comparisions seem to have it putting very similar hp to the 400hp rated M3. So I'd bet a stock 1M would dyno very similar to most non-meth tuned 135s or 335s. If a tune is only gonna gain 30ish hp, why tune and run into warranty, etc. issues. I guess I could see it more if you plan to run meth, etc.

The other funny thing though, is on a 135, a tune with supporting mods gains you more like 100hp. But then you can't find wheels that will allow you to put on big enough tires to put this Hp on the ground. For example my wheels are fairly similar to many of the 135 aftermarket wheels and I recently tried to install 255 rear Michelin PSS's and I rub very bad. A few years ago I had went as far as buying a Procede with meth setup but with just the Procede I realized meth would be fairly useless since I was already just spinning my tires into third gear even with my aftermarket LSD.
1M does not "need" a tune, it's the owners who need one

Seriously, it is now quite obvious to me after seeing lots of dyno results that 1M stock is 20 to 30 whp away from a V8 M3 which is practically zero difference due to weight difference. You don't feel this car needs more power unless maybe you are racing or so. You do feel the opposite most of the time, that there is too much power low down in first two gears.

The engine related imperfections of 1M are not too much and not too serious at all; even better throttle response and less lag in non-M mode is first small issue, happier revving after around 6000 is second and lack of proper sound is third. None of these are I would call real flaws because the car is already better than most if not all turbo engined cars I know or heard of in those areas, but I would say it can get a 8 or 9 out of 10 in those three points while it is 10/10 at flexibility and mid range potential for instance. A tune may or may not cure those issues, depends, but in fact a few simple bolt on mods without touching the engine do cure them greatly: good exhaust (sure best is a full exhaust including down pipes but maybe just a good catless mid pipe would still help), plus a better charge pipe, and a better intake or at least a better flowing air filter together mean that you cure those relatively weak spots to a great extend already. The car won't be an M3 after those mods in terms of response and high revving but it also won't feel that there is a bit more you would like to have. N54T is an absolutely great engine with its own character and adds a lot to 1M's personality and it makes it a different car not just a mini M3 with which it shares pants and shoes. With good tires and/or suspension you can also put down the power better and va la: absolutely amazing without a tune in real world driving.

I am not saying a tune is all together meaningless, everything can make sense if you get what you want out of it and if you enjoy the result; but I am just saying it is not really, universally needed in the case of 1M like a mid pipe or a charge pipe or grippier tires are needed from day one, I mean of course if you are not a resident on the sweet parts of German autobahn or in competitive racing. The car feels just perfect because it is superbly balanced (balance between the capacity of its chassis and its engine) just with a few simple touch. I like power enhancing tunes only when some guys get some real chassis mods first and then carefully put some more power with a well researched and executed tune. I am not a big fan of vice versa obviously!

If I would change my mind one day I would try either GIAC or Evolve first though. They seem to fit the 1M more than most others from what users reported; first of all they were both developed on 1M test cars, they are not simply carried over from a existing 135i/335i tune. Also they both seem to prioritize linearity-smoothness and reliability over absolute or peak power, that's the approach I find interesting.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 03-23-2013 at 11:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #64
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 Comp, MPE, stage 1

i must be alone on the "not needing a tune" opinion then..

Ive had high power to weight ratio cars for years and i love everything about the 1m its definitely the greatest car ive ever owned.

I dont really like the gtr35 as a road car due to the lack of feel at road speeds but i dont like being left behind by them either, hence one of the reasons i feel the 1M could do with 550bhp to really bring it alive.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #65
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

ESS all the way!

The power delivery is very linear and yes you need some 295's out back to hold the power down. With some sticky tires the power holds and is a frikken blast on the track!

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #66
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
I agree with Harold. I run GIAC stage 2 on my 1M and I've driven several tuned 135s with N54 and N55. None them feel as instantly responsive or put down nearly the same torque (as measured by my butt) as my 1M. I've dynoed my car and on a Mustang and I track it regularly. It's an excellent tune and I've never gone into 'limp mode' at the track unlike some of the piggyback guys I've met who are scratching their heads in the pits. Excellent post-sales support from them as well.
How much of the difference is due to better tires, track width, LSD, clutch feel, and suspension bits?
Appreciate 0