BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #89
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
By now you all should have gotten in a few track days with your JRZs, so please post your reviews.
Now have 8,000 miles or so on them, including more than a dozen track days, and couldn't be happier.

Quiet and wide range of adjustment. Really pleased with my current set-up.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #90
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Now have 8,000 miles or so on them, including more than a dozen track days, and couldn't be happier.

Quiet and wide range of adjustment. Really pleased with my current set-up.

Neil
Thanks, Neil!

How about some reviews from Stalker, Romo, and Tunedone.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #91
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

I must chime in here just to say what great aftersale service these guys @ JRZ HQ have.

Special thanks to Erik R. and his co-worker.

Having some rattle at the back dampers lately I made an appointment in Uden a few weeks back.
They testdrove the car and decided to change both the dampers. Ever since everything
stays quit as it should

At the Spa racetrack the dampers are set at 22 clicks in front and 20 in the back and at the Ring 10 clicks in front and 7 in the back. These set ups work fine for me.
Very pleased with the suspension so far and all credits to Advevo for sharing this.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #92
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Two specific questions for you guys:

What springs do you all have?
How is the street ride on full soft compared to stock?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #93
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
Two specific questions for you guys:

What springs do you all have?
How is the street ride on full soft compared to stock?
Come on, it's in the thread!

Bottom line: 7"- 392# front/10"- 672# rear

Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #94
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Today I had a visit at the JRZ factory Uden (Netherlands), rear shocks had some issues which had to be resolved. Bushings had to be replaced (don`t know if that is the correct word in English)

Anyway, it was just 20 minutes of work. The shocks are really awesome, I still use the 2nd klick all around ( JRZ advises to use the same settings all around)

The car is absolutely brilliant in road performance, it is very comfortable on bumpy roads yet tight in cornering at high speed, no nose diving at high speed breaking (note; this is only 2nd klick, while range goes tot 22 klicks !!) The car is overall very planted to the road no matter the circumstances. This is so impressive because it brings the two utter differences (comfort vs sportiness/tightness) in a stunning way together !!

Last but not least; we had a personal guidance tour at the JRZ factory. What can I say; Stunning, no just awesome, absolutely amazing how these products are manufactured (handmade) and tested, the machinery and equipment which are being used is really only the best of the best
If you are in the neighborhood you absolutely have to visit them !!

Thank again to Mr Erik Ras and all the personal at JRZ for this wonderful experience, it makes you realize how special these dampers are under your own car, thanks for the outstanding service and follow up, this is the best I have ever seen (I have seen quit a few) and I really would recommend JRZ to everybody !!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #95
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

@ Romo

So you got a set that was loud,
had them replaced,
then they got loud again and
had them modified at the factory, and
now they are actually quiet?

You also mentioned 2 clicks is comfortable and 1 click being almost 'too soft'. Would you say 1 click is softer than stock, about the same, or stiffer?

And which spring set are your running?

I find these shocks very interesting because of the simplicity of a single adjustment parameter. I'm not interested in figuring out 3-way adjustables just to have a lowered and stiff setup, that likely isn't optimized for the driving I'm doing.

If these shocks + off the shelf eibach/hnr springs results in stock-like comfort + simple adjustability for a low price, with vastly improved body control and handling,... then sign me up.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #96
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
@ Romo

@Mahlzeit

So you got a set that was loud,
had them replaced,
1st set was loud, JRZ replaced them by a new set

then they got loud again and
had them modified at the factory, and
now they are actually quiet?
No, the original 1st set rear bushings wern`t fitting when they had the set replaced, they forgot to deliver the new ones (2nd set), that issue was solved today

You also mentioned 2 clicks is comfortable and 1 click being almost 'too soft'. Would you say 1 click is softer than stock, about the same, or stiffer?
1st and 2nd setting are way softer than stock, you`ll immediate feel the difference, far less jumpy car on bumpy roads especialy on low speed, I`ll have to do more testing to see what klick setting can be compared to stock shocks

And which spring set are your running?
Eibach Pro Kit

I find these shocks very interesting because of the simplicity of a single adjustment parameter. I'm not interested in figuring out 3-way adjustables just to have a lowered and stiff setup, that likely isn't optimized for the driving I'm doing.
Agree, you will have still 22 klicks to chosse from

If these shocks + off the shelf eibach/hnr springs results in stock-like comfort + simple adjustability for a low price, with vastly improved body control and handling,... then sign me up.
JRZ shocks are far more better then stock shocks, better in comfort on low klicks, better on stifness on high klicks, no body roll, no nose diving, best compromise and road compliance available IMHO

Last edited by Romo; 07-13-2012 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #97
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks Romo - I've just found my suspension setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #98
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
simple adjustability for a low price, with vastly improved body control and handling,... then sign me up.
Low price is relative to one's income/budget. JRZ are high end both in quality and cost. Bottomline is you're going to get what you pay for.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #99
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I have upgraded the JRZ RS1 dampers. Settings are the same i only wanted to use race springs and high adjustable. But i did not want to change the original top mount to a camber plate which can make sound. I did not want to loose any comfort. The little noise whats there isn't coming from the shocks. It s the 2 bushes which hold the rear damper in place in the lower suspension arm. I have changed those too to the new ones. JRZ is always working on such small details!!!.

JRZ came with the perfect solution. See pics.

Orginal top mount with race springs hight adjustable ---> PERFECT.

Last edited by Advevo; 07-13-2012 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #100
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

FWIW, I'm running 9 off full soft at all four corners.

I also have a slightly used pair of Ground Control adjustable camber/caster plates for the 1M -- designed to be used with stock springs -- if anyone is interested.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #101
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
FWIW, I'm running 9 off full soft at all four corners.

I also have a slightly used pair of Ground Control adjustable camber/caster plates for the 1M -- designed to be used with stock springs -- if anyone is interested.

Neil
Your settings are the same for street and track? Camber plates and dampers?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #102
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Your settings are the same for street and track? Camber plates and dampers?
9 off soft is my "base" track setting. I soften 'em up for street.

I don't alter my camber/caster.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #103
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

You can find my full reviews and write up thus far here.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=632444&page=5

I run 4 clicks up front and 3 clicks out back from full soft for street use.

Thing that amazes me the most really is how the set up is never harsh, over curbing, turtles, or the bumps at the Glen, which you are going over at some high speeds. The car remains flat, and predictable while never beating up the driver. Shows how well the damping is working. BTW, Im on 500/800 springs for those that have not visited this thread before.

Last year I was at the Glen with KW Clubsports, which I though worked well at the track. As a comparison though, I was hitting an extra 20KM on the back straight this year, because I was going up the esses with much more confidence. I was also having to shift up into 4th or 5th in places that I did not last year because I was carrying much more speed into corners and out of them.
Now I was running NT05s last year and RS3s this year, so that might have something to do with it as well.

Overall, extremely happy with the set up. After, I just adjusted the shocks back to my street settings, and drove the 350KM home in comfort.

Contact Bimmerworld if you guys are looking for the best dual set up out there IMO. I'll be at Mosport in August which is another fast track.
      07-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #104
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
I have upgraded the JRZ RS1 dampers. Settings are the same i only wanted to use race springs and high adjustable. But i did not want to change the original top mount to a camber plate which can make sound. I did not want to loose any comfort. The little noise whats there isn't coming from the shocks. It s the 2 bushes which hold the rear damper in place in the lower suspension arm. I have changed those too to the new ones. JRZ is always working on such small details!!!.

JRZ came with the perfect solution. See pics.

Orginal top mount with race springs hight adjustable ---> PERFECT.

Interesting that you are running bump stops and helper springs?
      07-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #105
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 VF Supercharged, 135i

JRZ does not run bump stops. This is why (direct quote from a JRZ engineer in Holland)

Quote:
"1. We are not in need of a bumpstop due to our design philosophy. We are always using high compression forces in relation to the rebound forces. We know that that is the way to go (because of years of development and testing, as you know, we win races). So reaching the end of the stroke with a high velocity will almost never happen due to the high compression forces.

2. The high gaspressure also helps with this. We set our dampers with a high gas pressure. When compressing, this force rises. The more you compress the damper, the higher the gas pressure will be as well as the resistance in compression.

3. When you install bump stops you actually insert a extra spring on the end of the stroke. So what happens when you hit the bumpstop is that the spring rate goes up exponentially. The bumpstop will consume this compression force and will give you (almost) the same in rebound force. So the bumpstop throws you back up. When you are cornering and for some reason you are hitting the bump stop, you will first compress the dampers and bump stop. And while you are still cornering, the bump stop throws you back up!!"

Last edited by Brian_VACsales; 07-18-2012 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #106
modernbeat
Motorsports Engineer
Rep
Drives: Caged

If you read Jan Zuijdijk's (of JRZ) book, he's got some pretty interesting ideas on how to make a damper perform, but many of them require over-the-top precision that require frequent service to keep the damper performing correctly. Fine for a race car, but some of the ideas he has are not appropriate for street car longevity.
      07-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #107
JamesClay
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3

Garage List
1996 320iT  [0.00]
2003 M3  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
If you read Jan Zuijdijk's (of JRZ) book, he's got some pretty interesting ideas on how to make a damper perform, but many of them require over-the-top precision that require frequent service to keep the damper performing correctly. Fine for a race car, but some of the ideas he has are not appropriate for street car longevity.
Be that as it may, the JRZ product as it is built is NOT a fragile or maintenance intensive part. We have sold a ton of RS doubles over the years and we as of the end of last year just started to see a very few sets trickle in for service - most were 5 years or so old of frequent use. I had a set of RS on my street car for 20k miles before they were sold and are still in service for track use without a rebuild. RS1 should be expected to live similarly long lives.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #108
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 VF Supercharged, 135i

James sums it up best. (not shocking)

Our Performance Center foreman has run JRZ TRIPLES on his daily for 3 years...not a problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #109
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Thats good to hear, another reason that the RS1s are perfect for a DD car.

They really do a great job of soaking up the bumps as well.
      07-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #110
tunedone
Auto Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Thanks, Neil!

How about some reviews from Stalker, Romo, and Tunedone.
I have been to Willow Springs (the Big Track) once since installing the Jrz RS1 with springs and camber plates. I also had the dedicated track tire and wheels on with 275/35/18 Nitto Nto1's. The handling was superb. I had substantially less body roll, less nose diving under breaking and less squatting on hard exceleration. I had it set at 14 clicks front and 11 rear. I would highly recommend them as a great dd car suspension option. Getting the GC adjustable camber plates was a must for dialing in the camber and improving my track times.
Appreciate 0