BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #45
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
you really want power then drop the $$$ for an engine swap...the old M5 5.0L V-10 should be a nice start...t
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #46
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
I know what meth does. The turbos still work the same amount either way. They will heat up the exact same amount, but you're using the meth to cool the charge air down. Meth is only a bandaid.
Yes, they work the same amount, heat up the same amount, but the difference is the engine is at 17 psi versus 14 psi. If you ran 18 psi without meth, they would be working more to achieve that. With an fmic they wouldn't work as much, but still be working more since a tiny Wagner fmic does not cool nearly as well. Can't find the data for that one, but the more effective and bigger hpf one will give you maybe a 20 degree decrease and yield maybe 0.5 psi with the turbo programmed to give the same effort. Meth can drop the air temp by at the very least 50 degrees, sometimes 100+ degrees under load, which translates to several psi. So if we have two identical motors both going at 17 psi, one with meth and one with that intercooler, (and I know I'm not using the most scientific units or method of measuring this), the upgraded intercooler will help "compensate" for half a psi of turbo effort, while the meth will compensate for 2, 3 or more. And thats a more efficient fmic than Wagner, so with the Wagner I honestly don't think it's helping safely reach quite that high level of boost. Again I could be wrong, but that's my take on it. I wouldn't run that high boost without the meth. Personal opinion.

I also didn't mean to imply you don't know how meth works, so please don't think i was trying to talk down to ya or anything. I just like to be explicit because this is supposed to be an informative forum so anyone who may be reading and does not know may appreciate the explanation.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #47
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Understood, and I was actually trying to confirm that you knew what meth was doing for your car. So many people buy meth injector setups without understanding the risks of it. When talking to Bren, he actually really dislikes the use of pre-throttle body meth because you can run the risk of not getting good mixing into each intake manifold runners, running 1-2 cylinders very very hot, but not being able to see it directly in AFR or EGT. Port injection of meth is much better solution IMO but is more expensive than the current options out there.

Safe boost is all relative to timing really, and like I said earlier in the thread, most of the extra power made comes from VANOS tuning and not directly from boost and ignition timing.