BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
Luca
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Adaptive headlight warning light!

So i just recently had my dtr lights replaced and a week later after a car wash, i noticed condensation in my passenger side headlight. I have also gotten an adaptive headlight warning. Green led is flashing on the light nob as well. The lights level themselves properly when powering on but do not turn left and right when i turn the wheel. I popped the hood and noticed the headlight cover was not properly locked in. Anyone have any similar issues? I already called the shop that replaced my dtr lights to give them crap about not clamping the cover down properly and they told me to bring it in so they can have a look.

Anyone having/had this issue with the adaptive headlight system?? Help!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
kegobass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

I had the same issue. I went in with an adaptive HL warning which they stated was that the control unit arm on the passenger side was non-operational and needed to be replaced. I scheduled the car to go back in a few days since they needed to order the part. When I get home, I noticed some condensation in the HL enclosure. Apparently the tech did not properly fasten the HL cover and when they washed the car, water got in and did some real damage. I immediately called my SA and told him what happened. When I brought the car back in, they had to replace the entire HL, not just the control unit. Luckily my car was still under warranty so I didn't pay a dime.
Hopefully you can work something out with them but those covers are a pain in the arse to put back on especially the passenger side one. Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
ASPEC135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sideways always

Another alternative could be to just code out the warning light.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
Luca
Private
Rep

Cars back at the shop today so that they can diagnose the problem, looks like they are gunna bite the bullet on the charges. Theyre replacing the module if its defective and they might be replacing the other parts as well if theyre not working properly.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
Luca
Private
Rep

So now the shops trying to turn it around and say its most likely the headlight seal thats broken and it wasnt their fault. So now I have no idea what to do. If i were to buy an old headlight are the parts easily interchangable between the headlights?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Highly unlikely. The covers are well known to be a PITA to get back on correctly. You c an easily be fooled into thinking they are OK when they clamp down, when in fact they are not. I'm an anal retentive engineer and even I've put mine on incorrectly and gotten water inside.

The shop may truly believe it's not their fault, but I have to say it is in fact their mistake.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
kegobass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

I would raise hell with your dealership. Talk to your sales person and have them fight for you here. You can also try to talk to the gm of the dealership as well. Make a big stink and you'll get it fixed for free.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
Dilmorecg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

I had a similar issue after installing LED angel eyes...If you still have condensation in the headlight you might want to take steps to get that out and see if that eliminates the error. Mine works perfect after I got all the condensation out and no error anymore.

Try gel packets that pull moisture out of the air...you can get them on Amazon. Make sure you tie a string to them so you can get them out later on.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
jtennanUGA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i M sport MT

I went through a headlight replacement ordeal with my dealership. It was a nightmare.

More than likely you won't be able to just purchase a used headlight. These lights require programming and has to be done by the dealer if I'm not mistaken. The cost to replace both headlights and coding you ask? The tune of $4,600.

Long story short, I took it up the chain a bit and ended up paying about $650 out of pocket. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
FREE220
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Same bullshit happened to me. Had a shop change my head lights and didn't clamp cover water got In and rotted out the chips there are two the power and motor not cheap. And of course it wasn't the shops fault right???? Never again will I trust another shop like that. Period
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
boxofsnacks
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Want to code out adaptive headlight warning light, 135i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASPEC135i View Post
Another alternative could be to just code out the warning light.
My warning light is on but my lights are working perfectly. At this point I'd just like to code out the warning. Can anyone let me know how to go about doing that?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 02:35 AM   #12
ts0ulc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3,X5E, 1M

So I went into BMW dealership and told them I had the Adaptive warning light on. I'm still under factory warranty and my aftermarket AEs work perfectly fine. The rotation of the lights don't work though. They said they couldn't do any work on it because I had aftermarket lights in.

If I were to put my stock ones back in and go to another dealership would they possibly do it under warranty? Just wondering if they share the same vehicle service history with all dealerships

If anyone has any info or would like to give recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.
Appreciate 0