BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Started on my carbon fiber trim wrap today.

Here are some quick shots. I got the dash trim and door handle done today. I still have the hard part which is the console.

Sorry for the bad photos, it was dark by the time I reinstall the pieces. I know it looks like the fiber is "smudged" in the photo but it doesn't look like that in real life.

I am using carbon fiber fabric.

04-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
1GrayBulldog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketpop View Post
Here are some quick shots. I got the dash trim and door handle done today. I still have the hard part which is the console.

Sorry for the bad photos, it was dark by the time I reinstall the pieces. I know it looks like the fiber is "smudged" in the photo but it doesn't look like that in real life.

I am using carbon fiber fabric.

Looking good so far!

I'm getting the carbon fiber/alacantra interior upgrade itch myself, and have been researching the options out there. Interested to know if you looked at any of the vinyl wraps available before choosing carbon fiber fabric? Any reason why you went with fabric? Also interested to know your thoughts on how difficult this project would be for someone like myself to DIY (I have absolutely zero experience with wrapping, interior refinishing, etc.).

Good luck with the rest of your project and definitely post more pics as you progress.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Sorry, but carbon fiber wraps and the like are overdone to the point that it's become a joke.
      04-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
Chandon
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M

I suppose that means any modification to a 1er is a joke since everyone only ends up doing the same thing lol
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GrayBulldog View Post
Looking good so far!

I'm getting the carbon fiber/alacantra interior upgrade itch myself, and have been researching the options out there. Interested to know if you looked at any of the vinyl wraps available before choosing carbon fiber fabric? Any reason why you went with fabric? Also interested to know your thoughts on how difficult this project would be for someone like myself to DIY (I have absolutely zero experience with wrapping, interior refinishing, etc.).

Good luck with the rest of your project and definitely post more pics as you progress.
I went with fabric because I like the look of the M3 trim and it was more fabric than vinyl.

With that said, I have never wrapped anything until this project. I started with the easiest piece which is the the dash trim. Once you get the hang of working with the glue and fabric becomes easier. Not to say it was easy but you learn as you go and if you mess up, you just pull it off and restart again. Which I did. I'm sure I could do it better next time but that always the case I guess.

Keep in mind the console is NOT easy, you have to take apart and remove the whole console to change the ash tray trim. Not fun at all. If I had to do it again, not sure I would. Again I just took my time and kept working at it.

Its not perfect but its not bad either. I just hope it hold up for a few years. LOL

Last edited by rocketpop; 04-25-2014 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep

As far as played out, I lived with that stupid aluminum for 6 years. I needed a change. I guess I could have done plasti-dip. But lots of people are doing that as well so that might have been lame also.

Last edited by rocketpop; 04-25-2014 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
1GrayBulldog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketpop
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GrayBulldog View Post
Looking good so far!

I went with fabric because I like the look of the M3 trim and it was more fabric than vinyl.

With that said, I have never wrapped anything until this project. I started with the easiest piece which is the the dash trim. Once you get the hang of working with the glue and fabric becomes easier. Not to say it was easy but you learn as you go and if you mess up, you just pull it off and restart again. Which I did. I'm sure I could do it better next time but that always the case I guess.

Keep in mind the console is NOT easy, you have to take apart and remove the whole console to change the ash tray trim. Not fun at all. If I had to do it again, not sure I would. Again I just took my time and kept working at it.

Its not perfect but its not bad either. I just hope it hold up for a few years. LOL

All good info, thx a ton for sharing! Played out or not, the new trim looks awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 11:02 PM   #8
135roundel
Private
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
wait that's over the textured aluminum trim? Looks good, how'd everything fit back together with the extra thickness?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135roundel View Post
wait that's over the textured aluminum trim? Looks good, how'd everything fit back together with the extra thickness?
Everything snapped into place just fine. The only issue I am having is with the ashtray and the ashtray door. It not as smooth to open and close and there is some rubbing, but its not that big of a deal since I rarely use it. The dash trim doesn't seem to me seated as well but its not loose either, so I think it will be fine.

In hindsight, I should have waited before putting the console pieces back together. I have some issues with a few edges not being glued well enough and I am having to re-glue them the best I can without removing the console again. (Lesson learned)