BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-15-2023, 04:27 PM   #1
Grimm5698
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e82 135i / e36 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW e82  [0.00]
Thoughts on Mfactory LSD?

So it's finally time to get a LSD unit installed, I'll be doing more track events this year HHR and COTA. I'm leaning towards the Mfactory V2 clutch type LSD, anybody else running this in their e82? Apparently has a lot of adjustability. Also not sure which to get 1/1.5 way or 1.5/2 way they offer 2 different units. I was thinking the 1.5/2 way and set it up for 1.5 to start not sure if I'll ever need full 2 way but would be nice to have the option if needed on the other hand not sure if 1.5/2 way is overkill and I'm better off with the 1/1.5 way 🤔 open to opinions and experiences, ill be ordering the LSD next week so any info is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 08:32 AM   #2
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I looked for reviews for a long time and couldn't find much, ended up going with a different brand.

dmytro98 put one in his 128i, I think he's the only one I know of that has actually installed one.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2023, 06:08 PM   #3
Blackhalo636
Rep
Drives: DC2 Integra, 128i

They are huge in the Honda world. I've been running running Mfactory for years in my track/street Integra. Both with the B and K series.

I'd have no hesitation buying one when I find a 128i, it's one of the first purchases I'll be doing.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2023, 07:30 PM   #4
Grimm5698
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW e82  [0.00]
Well I pulled the trigger on a 1/1.5 way clutch style LSD, fully adjustable I have it set up for 40% lock to start. Swapping the bearing races over from the stock OEM unit was pretty easy, grinding down the corner on the diff case to get the new LSD unit inside sucked it's a bit more bulky than the OEM open unit.
The problem I'm having now is the stock OEM shims/C clips are way too big now so had to call Mfactory/ Synchrotech and ordered their custom shim setup. Hopefully comes in sometime next week so I can get the LSD build finished up and broken in, can't wait to test it out 😎
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 03:56 PM   #5
dmytro98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i coupe

Sorry, I'm just seeing this but yes there really aren't many budget options for clutch-type lsd which is why I wanted to try the factory unit. I had a shop install it in the case so I wouldn't have to worry about messing up backlash or anything like that. I did also make the mistake of setting it up far too aggressively for track use with aggressive ramp angles, max preload, and 100% lock. It worked great for the couple of drift days I went to, but locked way to easily and aggressively for grip driving but was still miles better than an open diff. That is until the lsd decided to disassemble itself.

I never got confirmation of exactly what happened, but from what I could see the C clips that hold in the ramps failed allowing the ramps to come loose and start flying around the differential. This caused the LSD housing to crack and most of my ramps to get crushed by the ring and pinion.

I had the diff for less than a year and was really disappointed to see it fail so soon, especially since I still don't know why. I'm glad to say mfactory was able to rebuild it replacing all the broken components and gave me a chance to have them change the setup to something much more reasonable and better suited for grip driving, but the process to get there was far too long.

It took them a couple of weeks to even confirm that I could send it back to them to have them look at, then once it arrived as far as I know they didn't touch it for 2 months, then out of the blue they said they'll repair it, how would you like it setup. It only took about 2 weeks to receive it after they said that at least.

They still never told me what caused the failure or really any information about what happened, but at least I was able to get all the broken parts replaced at no cost, minus shipping the unit to them.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2023, 05:50 PM   #6
Grimm5698
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW e82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytro98 View Post
Sorry, I'm just seeing this but yes there really aren't many budget options for clutch-type lsd which is why I wanted to try the factory unit. I had a shop install it in the case so I wouldn't have to worry about messing up backlash or anything like that. I did also make the mistake of setting it up far too aggressively for track use with aggressive ramp angles, max preload, and 100% lock. It worked great for the couple of drift days I went to, but locked way to easily and aggressively for grip driving but was still miles better than an open diff. That is until the lsd decided to disassemble itself.

I never got confirmation of exactly what happened, but from what I could see the C clips that hold in the ramps failed allowing the ramps to come loose and start flying around the differential. This caused the LSD housing to crack and most of my ramps to get crushed by the ring and pinion.

I had the diff for less than a year and was really disappointed to see it fail so soon, especially since I still don't know why. I'm glad to say mfactory was able to rebuild it replacing all the broken components and gave me a chance to have them change the setup to something much more reasonable and better suited for grip driving, but the process to get there was far too long.

It took them a couple of weeks to even confirm that I could send it back to them to have them look at, then once it arrived as far as I know they didn't touch it for 2 months, then out of the blue they said they'll repair it, how would you like it setup. It only took about 2 weeks to receive it after [...]
Wow, how long ago did you get it? I know there was an issue with the V1 setup, I believe I got the V2 as I did not see any clips on the ramps when I set it up it's actually pretty beefy. Mine had small springs sandwiched between the ramps I left it with 6 if I remember correctly basically how it came and supposed to be 50ft lb lock, I also set the clutches at 40% lock as my e36 M3 is the same so I'm used to it, specially for dual duty use, also set it at 1.5 way so hopefully it's not too aggressive, worst case I can always adjust it, only takes like 1hr to drop and maybe another to remove the unit and adjust. I'm headed out of town so only got to drive it a bit around the block and it definitely feels better, disabled e-diff as well so now just need to break it in and flush the oil for some fresh Motul hopefully by next weekend when I'm back
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 06:05 PM   #7
Grimm5698
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW e82  [0.00]
Well I pulled the trigger on the 1/1.5 way Mfactory, had some issues first fitting the unit inside the pumpkin and had to grind down the left side of the case a bit to notch it after that it went in perfect then had issues with the C clips and after 2 weeks back n forth sending them dimensions to make sure they sent me the correct unit Mfactory finally told me I need their shim kit so had to buy the $200 shim kit to set it up properly, backlash is right in the sweet spot .006 Mfactory calls for anything between.003-.009 so not bad. Also installed some AKG motorsports diff bushings to match the subframe bushings, disabled e-diff and threw in some oil to break in the diff. Car feels way better, hopefully get to finish the break in procedure and finally test it out once I'm back in town. So far on the bushings I noticed no nvh so that's good, can't wait to hit the track next month. All in I'm about $1300 total in parts so still saved about $1200 bucks doing it myself than buying the drop in unit for $2400+ shipping. I'll update once I test it out, hopefully works out
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 09:13 PM   #8
dmytro98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i coupe

looking at the pictures it looks like you got a different version then I got. Mine was advertised as the v2, and it looks like you got the v1. The v1 certainly appears like a much stronger design, with less room for failure.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 12:19 PM   #9
GetShifty
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i

I have an mfactory lsd in my 135i and I love it. I felt the difference initially powering out of a corner. Also breaking traction to do a drift is fun 🤩. I’ve had it for 3 years now with no issues. Make sure you put right fluid in. I used redline ns.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2023, 01:30 PM   #10
Grimm5698
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW e82  [0.00]
Update* been a couple months now running Motul 75w140 gear oil, only issues I've seen so far when the diff is cold it kinda makes a grinding noise when doing tight turns but goes away once it's warmed up (probably aggressive clutches or engagement preload), also in low gear if I hit the gas to do a pull there's a slight vibration / resonance on the lower rpm im thinking its due to the poly bushings but everything is tight and no metal in the gear oil no noise when driving down the road either 🤔 I'll be replacing the center bearing and guibo soon as well since they are the originals, don't see any cracks or wear on them tho but hopefully helps with the vibration issue
Appreciate 0