BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Udub's DSB 135i Mod Journal/Photo Thread - 56k BEWARE!!!

**** FINAL UPDATE 1/16/12****

Decided I wanted to keep a modding journal to be able to look back upon later and see how far I've come. I will update this 1st post often *SO CHECK BACK* with each individual install I do but here is a preview of some of the few installs I have planned to follow (hopefully all this summer).

-New Wheels
-Springs/suspension
-Exhaust + diffuser
-OEM base stereo overhaul (tweeter addition/component front speaker upgrade, rear speaker upgrade, sub upgrade and amp/processor addition)
-Front lip
-Tune!

Here is round 1.

6/25/10
(all iPhone 4 photos)
Got a package sent to me via Evan@Tischer of some BMW goodies that I put on today!

BMW Gloss black grilles (to match the OEM gloss black trim on the exterior)
BMW Performance CF spoiler
BMW OEM Glacier Silver interior trim (wood )
OEM Rubber mat set

Installed the grilles with no problems, they look really nice on this color.

The spoiler took a bit more work. Removing the old one was a pain and I used too much goof off and it ended up screwing up the clear coat on the top of my trunk a little. Not too noticeable unless you get real close and have the light shining just right but it ticked me off... shoulda listened to Julius@WSTO when he told me to go easy on the goof off.

The interior trim was a frickin PROJECT, removing most of it was quick and simple however that last piece that requires you to take off the entire center console was a pain in the ass. Johan@WSTO had done it before so he helped a lot but it still took about 3 hours to do the whole thing. It was worth it though, its so much nicer than the wood... I just wish the car had came that way to begin with.

------------------------------

7/3/10

Went out with my buddies Johan from WheelSTO and Carlos, aka CubanJJ09, aka "Vatos Locos Forever", to do a photo shoot on Carlos' E92. Even though I was there to mainly help Johan NOT get hit by a car (which almost happened like 4 times) I was able to snap a real pix of my car with my real camera and not my phone.

----------------------------------------

8/14/10
(iPhone photos... again)

Got all the components for my stereo upgrade.

My 2011 base stereo came without the HiFi components (ones that I now hear will be standard again on Sept 2010 builds and newer but oh well). Because of this I was left with a base stereo of 4 mid range woofers and 2 subs, no tweeters, no amp and no DSP.

To get a little bit better sounds I decided to upgrade some stuff and add component fronts with tweeters for better highs and less muddy sound.

I went to Ken at MusicarNW (better known as VP Electricy on the boards) to get all of my stuff. I started with the now discontinued MB Quart RUA 210's for the front components and left the rears alone (though I might still upgrade). I also opted for the SWS8 under seat subs to thicken up the bass and take some of the distortion out of the mid range woofers. For these I also needed an amp so I got an Arc Audio amp not only because of the power output but mainly the size as it was easily fit into the under trunk next to the battery with ease.

A BIG thank you to both VP Electricity and Technic for their individual help on this. Technic was nice enough to give me and my installer his phone number to help with questions about his harness, and was most helpful. Ken (VP Electricty) helped get me all the right components for the upgrade and special ordered a few pieces for me as well as some great prices on everything and a very easy exchange as the amp I went with in the 1st place didn't look like it was going to work out. If ANYONE on here needs Stereo or Car Electronics I advise you to PM him... he's fantastic guy to work with and will get my business again in the future. Also a little shout out to my boy Evan@Tischer for hooking me up with the OEM tweeterpods for a clean OEM look. Thanks guys!

Here are a few pics of everything.

Before:

After:

Sounds great, the bass is real nice now and the tweeters make a WORLD of a difference in the highs. I'm very happy with how it all turned out and was done on a budget too.
I might eventually replace the rear deck speakers and possibly add a DSP/clean sweep to the system but this is good for now.

-----------------------------------------------

9/20/10 - 9/28/10
(iPhone photos...

again)

Well everyone. This was a build time for me. Most of these mods were done in preparation for HIN Chicago but unfortunately a few days before it was supposed to happen the company that owns HIN was bought out by a media group and they "postponed" the show. Probably a god send for me cuz I ran into a bunch of problems, delays and whatnot and didn't finish the entire list I had planned for the show. Which means this might be a large part of my cars modding but it's not the last for sure. So 8 day, 3 shops and 1 horribly overpriced Ford Fusion rental car, this was the result.

We will start with the least obvious...

Evan @ Tischer hooked me up with some sweet BMW Performance Rotors. I was thinking of getting the Performance brake kit but he told me all it is is painted 135 calipers and performance rotors anyway so I left my calipers alone and saved some cash doing it this way

Next the boys at WSTO came through with a set of Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers at a killer price so I couldn't pass them up.

You'll notice in the last photo a grey bar to the left of the strut. The is my new UUC rear swaybarbarian. I had the front ready to go on too but for some reason when measured it was 2 inches shorter than my stock bar so I am waiting for UUC to answer me about what the hell happened (hopefully I just received the wrong bar).

The result of the drop was bittersweet. It felt great, I was so scared bumps would be harsh but it rides just as well if not better than stock. The downside was Anthony from A&L autobody/IND slammed the shit out of the car so it was rubbing just a tad on hard cornering. I can't say it wasn't fun getting looks for this for a few days though.

Next, WSTO kicked it up a notch for me. BASTUCK QUADS, custom painted matte black with 20% gloss black tips. It puuuuurrrrrs like a kitten and I love it. I had some custom piping fabricated at Fluid MotorUnion and despite my past history with them (wasn't a fan) they impressed me and I was very happy. Now the exhaust bolts right up to the stock midpipes and fits perfectly.

(sorry for the crap pic)

Well, as everyone knows, when you do quads on a 135i, you need a quad diffuser. So I enlisted the help of the great guys over at iCarbon, Andy and Mario. They custom made me a quad diffuser to fit the Bastuck quads and it came out beautifully and the quality was TOP NOTCH. However, being in love with the BMW performance rear on the 335's, I wanted something just a touch different than just a CF rear diffuser. Even though the CF on the piece is top notch, I decided to have most of it painted in BMW Performance fashion (a-la 335is rear) and left the small bottom part CF to show it off just a little. The result is pretty awesome in my opinion - very beastly.

A very unique look for the 135 and I'm happy to say it's become my favorite piece on the car.
AGGRESSIVE!

I also had the iCarbon guys send me a CF front lip so the front of the car would have some CF love too. It also is a terrific piece and I love the little devil horned splitters molded into it, it definitely compliments the other CF touches to the car perfectly and again... a top quality piece from them.

Last but certainly not least were the wheels (from WSTO of course...). We are still working out some kinks as the extreme drop and width of the rear tires we ordered weren't working together but I managed to get my RFT's on the car for a few days till we sort it out. I went with 18" VMR VB3's in gunmetal. I did 18's as I didn't want the wheels to look TOO big on the car, 19's just seem to do that with a 1er for some reason. I also wanted a classic BMW look in a color that complimented my mods and the Deep Sea Blue paint. I have always been a big fan of VMR's but I will say I wish their wheels deemed "1 series fit" actually FIT the 1 series. The rears are probably too aggressive offset and width for this car but with a ride height adjustment and a few tries of getting it right and massive rubbing in the parking lot we have everything where it needs to be right now. I am very happy with the wheels, exactly how I pictured the car looking with them.

It will probably need to go up about .1 or .2 inches after the new S.Drives arrive in the thinner sizes but we will see where it ends up.

A few things I will need to get on the car in the next month or so until HIN's rescheduled date (Still TBA but expected indoors in NOV/DEC) are:

-Get the front sway bar situation fixed
-Strut tower brace
-Amber gone vinyls
-Shadowline Emblems
-P3 Boost gauge
-ECU Tune by EuroCharged (supposed to work on this next week!)
-Vinyl exterior graphics/logos
-a surprise mod or two

Also expect a LOT of photos coming soon (I have several shoots in the planning stages, some involving Ms. Hayley from EuroCharged... you won't wanna miss those).

I took some pics in Madison today and these all will be going in a new thread once edited in a day or two (that I will link here) but I don't want anyone going empty handed so here is a tease for that.

LINK TO PHOTO THREAD: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...42#post8085342

---------------
12/25/10

It has been 6 months to the day since I started modding the car. I love driving it every single day.

I had some new plates done for my official switch to IL.

I needed a front plate bracket as well so the boys at WSTO hooked it up.
It works well, just don't take it through a carwash... (I'll post a pic later).

Also, here is just a quick pic of her with my low gloss black powdercoated 261M's (10% gloss) and Blizzaks for the winter.

I am hoping my next mods will be some catted downpipes, BMW performance side skirts and I can FINALLY get my tune from Eurocharged (been backed up).

2/3/11

Well it has been a busy month or so since I've updated. A few new things have gone onto the car.

I'll start with the most important... MY TUNE.

Jake and Jerry of Eurocharged cooked something up for me a few weeks ago and I am loving it. 40whp/40wtq and it's just the first version on my car. Since I don't have the big power mods like FMIC or DPs (yet) and since the N55 is a newer project for them, this is only the beginning on power... and even so I can't say I'm disappointed at all. I am burning right through DSC when I turn and slam the gas. Once I get a few more goodies I will take it up to Stage II and I'm sure they'll have something nice for me. Their older N54 1er was putting down 400+ at the wheels so I know I am in for a ride!

Oh yeah and I hit 10k miles!

Also, the guys at WSTO recommended that I breath a little better so I picked up an AFE pre-oiled filter. Feels good and helps just a touch in the throttle response, much better than stock. When I see a true cold air intake for this car I will probably do that but until then, this is what I'm rockin.

Lastly, I wanted to show the front tow hook plate bracket I got from WSTO also. This thing is great, low profile, easy to install and best of all, no drilled holes in the bumper or blocking of the intercooler/radiator.

Thanks Johan and Julius!

Spring is just around the corner so I'll be planning a few goodies for when it gets warm. For now I just have to deal with the +20" of snow...

3/2/11

Just got my AR Design Catless DPs installed. Wow what a torque rush. I need to have me tune redone by Eurocharged though cuz HP tops out around 5000rpms then dies. Lots of fun below that though, and the sound... WOW, perfect.

Here is a little vid I did for it, Start up, in cabin and outside (which sucks cuz it was so loud it was clipping the mic).

Enjoy!

Some pics will be coming on Sunday with a few little surprises too .

3/17/11

So I promised an update...

Check out the new addition to the car:

BMW performance side skirts. Love the way they look on the car. Had them painted at A&L Autobody and color is a perfect match (unlike some Cubans I know ).

I showed at World of Wheels Tuner Galleria 2 weekends ago. Got a TON of compliments on the car, judges also very impressed but I ended up not winning anything . Kinda makes me realize I really only do this stuff for myself and even though I love hearing how much people love the car, its just a reminder to me that as much as I want to say I mod for myself, it never hurts to be officially recognized. My buddy Jake from Eurocharged won Best MB with his AMG E55 (again....). I'll get him soon.

A few quick pix from that.
Me detailing while waiting to check in...

Prepped for the show

Some of the Eurocharged Girls

I also got a euro fog switch from my buddy J Bone as he didn't want it in his M3 so I installed that too. Why is this car so much harder to do this in than the 3 series?

Finished

Bright as hell!

Thats it for now. Spring is right at the doorstep so my buddy AFV335i and I were discussing what mods to do next. I guess we will see what happens.

4/11/11

Ran the car on a dyno yesterday. The bad news was my tune was supposed to be updated since I got DP's so I could get correct HP out of it but Eurocharged's mygenius flashing tool cracked in 1/2 and the replacement wasn't able to get here in time. I dyno'd the car dispite not being fully tuned just for fun and didn't expect much.

Video of dyno (and CubanJJ09's ugly mug in the beginning - you hairy motherf*cker, don't you own a razor?

Big Ups to Mark (MKpoto) for the video

As you can tell right at the end, the power just drops... thats because I have DP's and no tune for DPs so my HP bombs instead of goes up. The good news is my WTQ was unreal @ 391ft/lbs. I out torqued a new Mustang GT 5.0.

Once I get an FMIC and the full stage II flash finished up on my car it will all come together and I have a feeling some VERY impressive #'s will follow from another dyno run in the near future.
5/20/11

My guys over at Tischer BMW (Evan & Jason) were nice enough to hook me up with their 1st pair of LCI tails. These things look SWEET, pretty visible even in day time.

with eurofogs on

I am lovin' um. Thanks guys!

I also went over to Julius@WSTO and swapped my VB3's to some Apex ARC8's so I can run some wider tires all around. The offsets and wheel design allow me to go 235 front and 265 rear with no camber or fender rolling needed. Heck, the 265 in the back has so much room I had Julius order me 5mm spacers! Thanks buddy . Big ups to Anthony @ A&L/IND for mounting and balancing .

Not many pics yet but here are a few.

8/18/11

Been a while since an update, a lot goes on in your life when you get married, honeymoon, start 2 new jobs and are in your final year of school. Since May the newest mod was a set of the BMW Performance Brake Calipers, definitly makes them pop a bit more now. I also was given some large Eurocharged vinyls for the sides of the car for TimmayFest in Ohio and a local show here in Chicago. Amidst all there is to do/that has been done lately in my life, I am looking to buy a house so sadly this might be the last update on this car. I am not sure if I can afford another BMW but even if I can, this one will surely hold a very special unique place in my heart.

A few photos from the last few months

---------------
9/21/11
Sad day but I had to bring the car over to A&L yesterday to part out.

I don't think I'll be keeping the car much longer. I need space for dog/photo equipment and a lower monthly payment for me and the new Mrs.

It was fun while it lasted but I guess priorities change. Maybe I'll be able to swing a CPO 328i so I can stay in the BMW family.

---------------
1/16/12 - The Final Update

Car has a new owner and I'm tearing up thinking that I am going to be parting ways with her in less than 24 hours. Here is my final post for the mod journal.
Thanks again to everyone for following along with me on this journey, I'll still be around even though I won't have an e82 anymore.

1 Last Look:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...5#post11161395

-Badger
---------------

SHOUT OUTS!
Rolling "THANK YOU'S" to the following for making this car what it is now and will be in the future (this list is growing everyday!):

WSTO Johan, Julius and the WSTO team are always the best! Great products, excellent prices and great friends too! They will go to the ends of the earth for their customers!
Evan@Tischer The www.getBMWparts.com team of Evan and Jason are the guys to see for anything BMW.
A&L Autobody/IND Distribution Anthony is always looking out for his fellow BMW owners.
Showcar Detail Steve from Showcar helps prep me for my shows and keeps the car looking great. Excellent detailing and top end products. www.showcardetail.com
VP Electricity Ken @ MusicarNW is the guy to talk to if you need any car electronics and like great prices and customer service.
Technic Elais, the maker of the wonderful stereo harness and adviser of everything stereo related.
VS Motorsports
iCarbon
Tim's Powdercoating - Lake in the Hills, IL
And last but not least...

Eurocharged Performance Jake and I have working together on my cars for a few years now and I am happy to say he's become a good friend of mine as well.
THANKS EVERYONE!

and thank YOU for reading the journal.

A few parting photos:

Last edited by UdubBadger; 01-16-2012 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Looking good! Really loving that spoiler. Nice touches!
      07-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
very nice, great pics for an iPhone
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesal@Project 808 View Post
Looking good! Really loving that spoiler. Nice touches!
Thanks buddy.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
very nice, great pics for an iPhone
haha thanks, it's mostly photoshops doing though, I touched um up a bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
big ups on the gloss black grilles and spoiler
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

that spoiler looks great on the blue!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
thanks guys.

Los when we gonna CF up your blueberry?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
stong
Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: bmw e82

sweet!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
J BONE
The Boss
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9816 F15 X6

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [9.00]
Looking good buddy!
2011 E92 M3- Retired
2011 E90 335- Retired
2008 E92 335- Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #11
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
thanks Boner
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
Nice udub! cant wait to see whats going to happen to this car after talking to you for so long! lol. the color is great, a little lighter than my monaco and matches cf well! really want to see your choice of wheels keep it up!

oh and i know what you mean by that dam spoiler LOL!!! took me a whole morning!! and afternoon....
      07-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #13
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Thanks buddy... and i appreciate all of the help you've given me so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #14
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Looking great so far Udub, keep up the good work and I like your journal.
      07-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #15
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
Looking great so far Udub, keep up the good work and I like your journal.
thanks dood, I'll have another entry tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 05:08 AM   #16
Olagüe
Brigadier General
Spain
Rep
Drives: 333i e92

nicee
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #17
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
thanks guys.

Los when we gonna CF up your blueberry?
was thinking aboot carbon fibering it but too much money. shouldn't have blown my load all over this car like ive done already.plus id have to already replace alot of part i already have
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Added more photos and entry #2
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #19
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
Nice pictures........ Homez,
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #20
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
hahaha, excited to see the ones of your car man.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #21
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
Yea. I told Johan to post or send me some raw ones. I wanna see SOMETHING!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #22
Johan@WSTO
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanJJ09 View Post
Yea. I told Johan to post or send me some raw ones. I wanna see SOMETHING!!!!!!
Im working on the pictures right now...