BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-19-2009, 02:08 AM   #23
n2djazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe (T. Silver)

I feel your pain. Drivers do some of the stupidest things. I got rear-ended last yr in my other car. Offender said I stopped abruptly. Cops and traffic camera begged to differ. Evidence showed I was stopped for red light at least a second before impact. Drivers in Atlanta GA are notorious for following tailgating, even at hwy spds. He got towed / impounded for expired registration. Had he been paying attn, none of this would have happened. So what was the other driver's excuse?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 02:16 AM   #24
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
Cant stand tailgaters! sounds like he got what he deserved at least.
As for my incident, I didnt really quiz her. She looked around 20ish and was with her mum and brother. It seemed like it was a honest mistake and she said sorry so i left it at that.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 10:52 PM   #25
n2djazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe (T. Silver)

I hear ya re leaving it at that. In light of her apology, I would have left it at that too.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 12:51 AM   #26
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
Was discussing the possibility of changing over to the performance bumper with the guys at the body shop, and they claimed that they would have to also change the side skirts to the performance ones as part of bmw policy or something along those lines. They said that they had got into some problems when doing something similar with a porsche.
they gave me a quote of about $1000 for the side skirts installed and painted, and its a few hundred more for the performance bumper over the m bumper so it would be close to 1500... so may have to give it a miss.
but i rang up bmw aus to make sure and they were saying there is no such policy and if you can buy the part (i.e. the bumper) separately (which you can) then they have no problems with installing it separately.
Think i will ring up the body shop and discuss it a bit further.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #27
cargeek
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Old man's comfy car

I don't know if this helps but when my wife reversed into a fence in our E91 I replaced the standard bumper with the sports version but I didn't change the side skirts and the fit is perfect. I did need to change some of the brackets under the bumper which were exy but the finished car looks great.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 06:53 AM   #28
pech135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

damn! that really sucks... one of my biggest fears is getting into an accident which isnt caused by me... hope all turns out well for you. also, love the pic, if its any consolation, im happy to pay the $5er to get your car waxed by superwomen. i'll even pay her extra to polish the exhaust pipes
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #29
pech135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

and.. while you're waiting for your car to get fixed, i'll arrange the massage
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #30
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pech135 View Post
damn! that really sucks... one of my biggest fears is getting into an accident which isnt caused by me... hope all turns out well for you. also, love the pic, if its any consolation, im happy to pay the $5er to get your car waxed by superwomen. i'll even pay her extra to polish the exhaust pipes
Quote:
Originally Posted by pech135 View Post
and.. while you're waiting for your car to get fixed, i'll arrange the massage
Haha, thanks mate, will definitely have to take you up on the extra polish for the exhaust pipes and the massage!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #31
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
Was discussing the possibility of changing over to the performance bumper with the guys at the body shop, and they claimed that they would have to also change the side skirts to the performance ones as part of bmw policy or something along those lines. They said that they had got into some problems when doing something similar with a porsche.
they gave me a quote of about $1000 for the side skirts installed and painted, and its a few hundred more for the performance bumper over the m bumper so it would be close to 1500... so may have to give it a miss.
but i rang up bmw aus to make sure and they were saying there is no such policy and if you can buy the part (i.e. the bumper) separately (which you can) then they have no problems with installing it separately.
Think i will ring up the body shop and discuss it a bit further.
I reckon the smash repair shop is just trying to squeeze a few more bucks from your end. I guess it will look slightly better visually, and 'complete' if you install the side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #32
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
I reckon the smash repair shop is just trying to squeeze a few more bucks from your end. I guess it will look slightly better visually, and 'complete' if you install the side skirts.
i reckon you're right about the shop trying to get more out of me....
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #33
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2djazz View Post
I feel your pain. Drivers do some of the stupidest things. I got rear-ended last yr in my other car. Offender said I stopped abruptly. Cops and traffic camera begged to differ.
In NSW, from my experience, if there is EVER a rear-end accident the driver behind is always at fault, unless there is proof of all 3 brake lights being faulty.

The hardest you will ever break is for a pedestrian running out in front of you, and the police attitude is that if you hit someone breaking for something like that, then you're well within the '3 second' guidance and couldn't react in time.

I HATE tailgaters. I usually stand on the brakes if i get one.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #34
CT135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post

I HATE tailgaters. I usually stand on the brakes if i get one.
me too. a few cars ago I had a Holden Astra that had great rear fog lights. if somebody was getting too close i just flicked them on and watched them slow right down. hehehe.
haven't tried that in the 1er ... probably coz nobody can keep up ;-)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #35
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT135 View Post
me too. a few cars ago I had a Holden Astra that had great rear fog lights. if somebody was getting too close i just flicked them on and watched them slow right down. hehehe.
haven't tried that in the 1er ... probably coz nobody can keep up ;-)
Hahahahah nice

In my last Subaru i had a towbar, and i 'hooked' it under the front bumper of a VS Holden Ute that tailgated me along Wakehurst Pkwy. I literally stood on the brakes (my ass came off the seat), and he went up the back of me. I then moved forward to pull over, and my tow ball was so firmly wedged under his front bar that the bar ripped off, fully attached to my towball as i moved forward.

He was pissed, but with himself.

I few weeks ago i got tailgated by a Peugot 306 on Warringah Rd at 1am. I was in the middle lane, and he decided that even though both lanes were free, no other cars on the road, that he was going to tailgate me.

I dropped a gear, then another, then another. Until we got to about 10k's an hour. I jammed the breaks on, he locked a little, and i dropped my right off onto the accelerator and that was the last i saw of him/her
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #36
'fatboy'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Hahahahah nice

In my last Subaru i had a towbar, and i 'hooked' it under the front bumper of a VS Holden Ute that tailgated me along Wakehurst Pkwy. I literally stood on the brakes (my ass came off the seat), and he went up the back of me. I then moved forward to pull over, and my tow ball was so firmly wedged under his front bar that the bar ripped off, fully attached to my towball as i moved forward.

He was pissed, but with himself.

I few weeks ago i got tailgated by a Peugot 306 on Warringah Rd at 1am. I was in the middle lane, and he decided that even though both lanes were free, no other cars on the road, that he was going to tailgate me.

I dropped a gear, then another, then another. Until we got to about 10k's an hour. I jammed the breaks on, he locked a little, and i dropped my right off onto the accelerator and that was the last i saw of him/her

That's very brave.
It's a lesson i'd like to teach the tail gaters out there, but i'm thinking about the damage he/she would do to my car (and the subsequent hassles) should they actually make contact. Not to mention the number of road rage incidents we see on our roads - you never who is going to get of the car and what they may do to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #37
CT135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

I hate these people. Just go around me ffs.
but as fatboy said ... you never know what these people carry around in the boot of their car ... just looking to start trouble ...
Appreciate 0