BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-19-2011, 02:09 AM   #1
Qualin
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i - Completely Stock

Importing a BMW 130i into Canada?

Hello.

I was surfing the German BMW Site and was drooling over the 130i hatch. It would be the perfect replacement to my 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT. I'd love to have one of these beside my 135i.

I'd probably be looking at a 2008-2010 model, something relatively new.

Does anyone know what would be entailed to import one of these into Canada legally without Customs seizing it and using it for Fire Department training?

Has anyone here imported BMW's which are less than the 15 year old rule? What was your experience?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
Kevin_russian
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 135i

Your best bet would be contacting Canadian customs office with all the car detail and get an answer from a reliable source rather than on a forum.
At least that's the first thing I would do ....
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Minimum requirement is that it must be 15yrs old to be admissible, as it is not a North America model (ie: European- or Japanese-market cars not otherwise sold here or in the USA). www.riv.ca is your friend.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
he illegal importation of a motor vehicle into Canada is a criminal offense. Inadmissible vehicles will be denied entry into Canada and will be detained. All storage and disposal fees are the responsibility of the importer.

Please read the following carefully.

VEHICLES PURCHASED OUTSIDE CANADA AND THE UNITED STATES

The Motor Vehicle Safety Act and Regulations require that all vehicles imported into Canada comply, at the time of importation, with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in effect on the date the vehicle was manufactured. Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971.

Vehicles acquired in foreign countries other than the U.S. and designed, built, tested and certified to meet either all applicable Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards or all applicable United States Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and bearing a statement of compliance label affixed by the original manufacturer, as required by the Regulations, may be eligible for importation into Canada provided the vehicle has not been altered and the certification from the original manufacturer is maintained, which may be subject to verification at the time of importation. A vehicle imported under these conditions will be subject to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles program which may be accessed at the following web site: http://www.riv.ca.

Please contact Transport Canada, Road Safety and Motor Vehicle Regulation Directorate, at 1-613-998-8616 for further information.

VISITORS AND TOURISTS TO CANADA

Under Section 7(1)(b) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act, a motor vehicle may be admitted temporarily into Canada without complying with the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations if it is to be used exclusively by a person entering Canada as a visitor or a person passing through Canada to another country. Persons entering under a work permit or student visa will be considered as visitors for the application of this section of the Act. Any change in the status of the person entering the vehicle may invalidate the use of this section of the Act. The vehicle cannot be sold or otherwise disposed of while in Canada and cannot remain in Canada for a period longer than the time constraints listed on the work permit, student visa or any other Customs documents. Once these time limits are exceeded, the vehicle no longer qualifies for temporary entry under section 7(1)(b) of the Act and must be exported. As the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency also has requirements concerning the importation of vehicles, you may contact them at the

Transport canada regulation... Who knows they may bring over the F20 hatch.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

You can't do it. the Hatchback is not certified by either Canada or USA. The car will be denied entry, and it would either have to be sent to the crusher or back to Germany.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #6
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

get it in as a 128... do whatever mod/faking necessary
      03-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
get it in as a 128... do whatever mod/faking necessary

ANY non-North American sold car cannot be imported unless it's 15yrs old. Thus, if you didn't buy it out of the US, it's not coming into Canada.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0