Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Have you ever had a flat tire?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-26-2005, 03:35 PM   #45
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
"In my country we have Bonzos too "

Yeah, but those people drive FWD-crap and get stuck in the horseshit after the first corner.
So they won't make it to those fast roads.:-)

We are talking about superior people in BMW's...:-)

:-)
Dude, what is your issue? All FWD cars are not crap. People who drive BMWs are not superior. Does driving a BMW make you feel superior? Or is it just because you can buy one and others cannot? What is your fetish with horse shit (other than the fact that you live in Georgia and probably have it on your shoes all day)?

You might want to try and participate in discussions, rather than just mocking everything that others are saying. We are a pretty tolerant bunch here, and all of us make some antagonistic comments here and there, myself certianly included. But if that's all you have to offer go find another sandbox to play in.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 04:54 PM   #46
BMW0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I still have to drive these runflats awhile till I come to a decision. I'll figure out what all the fuss is about after trial and error occur. Hopefully things will be fine and I won't have anything negative to say about the runflats. They do seem to run alot $'s per tire.

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 06:23 PM   #47
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW0
They do seem to run alot $'s per tire.
alot of patience too. lol
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 08:21 PM   #48
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

I have driven my 04 545 with runflats for 12 months plus three months on non-runflat winter tires. I have had one flat so far. I like the runflats a lot for the convenience of changing a flat plus I find the ride is fine with the sport package.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 10:34 PM   #49
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
4 Cars in the family, 1 flat in the last 10 years. Tire was old and the flat wasnt a real surprise...

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 10:50 PM   #50
E24
DUBYA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328I - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Dude, what is your issue? All FWD cars are not crap. People who drive BMWs are not superior. Does driving a BMW make you feel superior? Or is it just because you can buy one and others cannot? What is your fetish with horse shit (other than the fact that you live in Georgia and probably have it on your shoes all day)?

You might want to try and participate in discussions, rather than just mocking everything that others are saying. We are a pretty tolerant bunch here, and all of us make some antagonistic comments here and there, myself certianly included. But if that's all you have to offer go find another sandbox to play in.
LZ - you are too addicted to this board. And you are way too politically correct and apologetic. Yes, all FWD cars are crap...I've owned them and don't care to repeat the experience. People who drive BMWs are superior - that's a given. You are just too new to the ownership experience. I'm not a fan of manure but Georgia has some of the best. Very rich soil.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 11:43 PM   #51
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

What's going on here? Let's be nice to each other!
      11-27-2005, 12:22 AM   #52
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesamprs
Huh? I don't understand your question? That's like saying "I've never been in an accident so I don't need insurance"
Well said.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2005, 07:42 AM   #53
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E24
LZ - you are too addicted to this board. And you are way too politically correct and apologetic. Yes, all FWD cars are crap...I've owned them and don't care to repeat the experience. People who drive BMWs are superior - that's a given. You are just too new to the ownership experience. I'm not a fan of manure but Georgia has some of the best. Very rich soil.
Politically correct and apologetic? Wow, I've never been accused of that in my life...

So, you don't like FWD cars. Goodie for you and your redneck buddy. That is your opinion. I have owned RWD, FWD, AWD and each type of vehicle has its plusses and minuses under varying conditions.

Superior? Okay let me get this straight. Not long ago we had a poster here that is some 17 year old snot whose mommy and daddy bought him a BMW, and he was bitching because he gets lots of speeding tickets because he drives like an asshole, thinks like an asshole, and is an asshole. So, in your weird world (that bizzare place where having George Bush as your avatar seems something of which to be proud) this poor excuse for a human being is superior to someone that is responsible, works hard, raises a family, but drives a Dodge Caravan?

Too new to the ownership experience? Granted, these are my first BMWs, but having the E90 since June with 10,000 miles I think I'm getting the hang of it. How long do I have to have a BMW before I start to think like you? Let me know, so I can sell it before that happens.

Try not to pick fights with your teeny tiny little brain. Shouldn't you be out bombing an abortion clinic somewhere?

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2005, 08:43 AM   #54
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I once had two flats at once (left front and left right) talk about bad karma.

I really wished for RunFlats that day, but that was back in the E46 days...
      11-27-2005, 09:37 AM   #55
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Wow. You must have driven over something nasty to get two flats at the same time! Now there's a good case for RFTs!

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2005, 09:43 AM   #56
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Wow. You must have driven over something nasty to get two flats at the same time! Now there's a good case for RFTs!
Yup, I did

I was distracted by a female companion at the time.

Still a good case for RFT´s.
      11-27-2005, 12:09 PM   #57
zdognaylor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i electric red

11-27-2005, 04:29 PM   #58
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Overall in my driving career of about 700000mls I´ve had

7 flat tires

Once two flats at the same time

twice blowouts (sudden loss of air pressure) at high speed (1 time about 120mph, the second at 140mph) - luckily both were front wheels, so no big problem in controlling the car, I wouldn´t like a high speed blowout at a rear though.

One of those blowouts meant changing the front left tire on the hard shoulder of a 6lane unlimited, heavily trafficed Autobahn with cars passing my back in less than a yards distance doing up to 120mph and lines of 40ton trucks with overtired truckers half aslepp narrowly missing my butt.

RunFlats ? HELL YES !

I don´t care about the higher costs, I don´t care about the trouble trying to find a replacement, I don´t care about the harsher ride and i don´t care about the higher unsprung weight.

Those things are life savers.
      11-27-2005, 10:02 PM   #59
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No! wonder why this thread got moved, the same guys keep believing that RFT realities are not true, and keep reposting and reposting

For Gods sakes! Wake up and smell the coffee!

This other thread :
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120652
seem to disagree with RFT fanatics here, lets give it equal time and let others speak, read up RFT fans and open up your such generous repair/replace RFT pocketbooks.

Is this thread run by a bunch of "Yes Men I Wanna Belong To Your Group Clique" ?

Ever wonder why there such demands of some take-off spares? ....while you guys are stroking each other and making each other feel good, you guys should be doing contingency planning, for of your RFT tires are no longer readily available.

Last edited by ase2dais; 11-27-2005 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 12:26 AM   #60
jpsquared
Another transplanted NY'er
Rep
Drives: '06 330i 6MT TiAg

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Ase, the way I see it, you're the only one reposting your opinions. There are many of us out there who, despite the cost - which I agree is high at this point - and lack of current availability, are enamored of the technology. You insinuate that we're all a bunch of freakin' idiots because we're "falling" for some kind of false advertising. But you can't ignore the proven safety benefits of these RFT's.

I'm willing to bet that most of us here drive a bit faster and probably more aggressively than most. It comes with car, I guess. The chances of a blowout may be slim in the big picture, but where I live, the roads are crapola - especially in winter. If I can feel even just a little bit safer on my expensive, hard to replace RFT's, then I'm buying what they're selling.

Nobody is denying how irritating it is to overpay for a new technology and then be inconvenienced by lack of support. But you're clearly not thinking straight if you think the market won't change in the near future. Automakers are very motivated to save money these days, and the runflat model fits well into that equation. How much money do they stand to save by leaving the spare & a jack out of every car? Like it or not, this technology is here to stay, and soon enough the tire manufacturers will shift production as well.

But I guess my opinion makes me a "Yes-man" or some kind of sucker, right? Thanks for your concern, but I'll make my own decisions.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2005, 02:46 PM   #61
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
here another thread feeback on RFT vs non-RFT, be adviced im just proxy and not the one talking

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=1#post1433936
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 02:59 PM   #62
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Where have all the RFT proponents hide to!

Well ! just to stir up the pot once again, its been 6 mos and still RFT availability has NOT improved as some proponents may have suggested!

Let the closet RFT fans come up and protect the claim that over time RFT availability will be better!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143128

quote:
Nine days after I got my 330i with sports package I went to swap out the tires and put on snow tires. During the swap the tire store noticed a screw in my rear tire. It is too close to the sidewall to patch, so I need a new tire. Rather than get it done in the winter I figured I would wait until the spring.

So now it is spring and I am dying to put on the original tires, but I can't find the Potenza RE050A RFT in 255/35/18 anywhere!!! Tire Rack has it back-ordered and not due until June 9th! I called a local Firestone dealer and they said they have 146 back ordered and it would take over a month to arrive!

Do I have any options in finding that tire? If those places are so back ordered will anyone have the tire?? Are BMW dealers likely to have the tire?

I want to keep the RFTs. I don't feel like dealing with a spare, jack, etc.
Nine days after I got my 330i with sports package I went to swap out the tires and put on snow tires. During the swap the tire store noticed a screw in my rear tire. It is too close to the sidewall to patch, so I need a new tire. Rather than get it done in the winter I figured I would wait until the spring.

So now it is spring and I am dying to put on the original tires, but I can't find the Potenza RE050A RFT in 255/35/18 anywhere!!! Tire Rack has it back-ordered and not due until June 9th! I called a local Firestone dealer and they said they have 146 back ordered and it would take over a month to arrive!

Do I have any options in finding that tire? If those places are so back ordered will anyone have the tire?? Are BMW dealers likely to have the tire?

unquote:
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 07:07 PM   #63
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
With all the big fuss about run-flats....and non run-flats.
Do we really need run-flats? Have you ever had a flat tire while driving or away from home? I haven't....
Today, in fact, I had a flat while I was 200 miles from home.

We were in central Vermont, barreling down I89 from Burlington when the iDrive started screaming.

I pulled over but couldn't see anything. It was freaky being on the highway, so we carefully exited and pulled into a gas station.

Called BMW Assist who were no help at all. They told me the nearest dealer was 70 miles back from where we started.

So, I put air into the tires, reset the FTM system and drove the rest of the day (another 200 miles) to our meeting and then to the BMW dealer. I'd called him and he ordered a replacement tire to make sure he had it in stock.

So, all in all, I have to say this RFT thing is killer technology. If you have a slow leak (which is what I suspect is my problem), you can get the warning, refill the tire and go on your way secure in the knowledge that if you do have another problem, you STILL have 100 miles of slow speed driving left.

Although I did stop on the highway, I would never do it again. It's insane to be out on an Interstate, even one in rural Vermont. RFTs mean you don't have to be.

Sure, they're expensive. Sure they are stiff. But when you DO get a flat, it's all worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 07:27 PM   #64
ashecnc
In the delivery business :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i Jet Black/Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais
Well ! just to stir up the pot once again, its been 6 mos and still RFT availability has NOT improved as some proponents may have suggested!

Let the closet RFT fans come up and protect the claim that over time RFT availability will be better!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143128

quote:

unquote:
As you know I replaced my tires/wheels, so today I ordered the jack kit from Circle

Born 10/05 '06 325i Jet Black, Black, Sport Package, Xenon's, Heated Seats & Power, Sat. Prep, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Tips, Blacklines, Chrome Grills, 19" M5 wheels NO MORE run flats, drives like a dream now
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 07:45 PM   #65
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I

I am thinking of getting the 18" M5 reps and loosing the RFT's purly because of the price and lack of selection. I know BMW has the jack kit but if I wanted to cary a spare what are my options? Would discount tire just be able to look up my bolt pattern and sell me a doughnut? What are other people doing in place of a spare, using all those goop fillers? Isn't the tire and rim a mess after using them as well as punctures being non repairable after you put it in the tire?

Thanks,

Jesse
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2006, 08:41 PM   #66
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashecnc
As you know I replaced my tires/wheels, so today I ordered the jack kit from Circle
Good News,
I saw the M5 wheels photos
Im envious :mad: GRRRRRR
Appreciate 0