BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Somewhat disappointing dyno today

So,

Finally got around to getting the 'after' dyno on my car. Mods in signature.

Back in April I dyno'd stock (with dci) on cobb map 0 277.1/309. then (at same time) on cobb stage 1 aggressive 329.9/406. I was happy with that. Today however, I am left scratching my head a bit.

After installing the mods in sig and running the ots cobb stage2+FMIC I only dyno'd 343.8/404.

Then with my ptf tune 352.3/442

This is with 94 octane. 4th gear pulls. Was about 25C today. A fair bit cooler back in april.

Dyno Dynamics dyno which, I understand, read a fair bit lower than dyno jet.

I also find it odd/interesting that after 5250 the ptf map is making a fair bit less hp, but a fair bit more torque.

Calgary is at 3600 ft, so I'm sure that doesn't help, though correction (ATMC1) was applied. Not sure it that takes into account altitude or just ambient and humidity and such.

I guess I am surprised that after dp, fmic, and exhaust I only picked up ~14hp (cobb map) and ~22 with the ptf map. I know exhaust doesn't buy you much if anything and fmic is really only for consistent pulls. But still, isn't only a 22hp delta seem a little low?

fwiw, stock sti's are consistently putting down 220 - 225hp on this dyno. the dyno operator's wife's 335i put down 253hp - which is why I wonder if my 277hp cobb stage 0 (plus dci) is realistic 'stock' baseline.

Another 135i with same mods including ptf tune put down 363/450. So I know I am in the ball park. He only had 92ish octane though - not sure if 92 to 94 should make any appreciable difference.

At the end of the day, I seem to be inline with what others are getting on this dyno, but I am still surprised at the smallish difference between cobb ots stage 1 aggressive, cobb ots stage2+FMIC, and then ptf tune.

I don't really have logs from the dyno runs today as I ended up with about 6 logs that were logged and I don't know which one's correspond to the final numbers shown below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I have always found that dyno days are always a disappointment, LOL

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
mecanique771
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

i got the the ptf tunein toronto whit 94 oct dp dci full catback and got 403 whp

dyno results may varie on wich dyno
      08-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

It’s not realistic for us to make informed statements here, the variation from dyno to dyno is simply too great to come to firm conclusions. With that being said, you have a roughly 135wtq delta from your baseline to the PTF FBO pump gas tune, that’s a pretty healthy gain IMO. Also consider that your baseline is from the spring, the weather was likely a good deal cooler, and I bet your WGDC was lower with the car hitting timing targets better. I understand the modest disappointment, but when you really think about it, I don’t see anything wrong here.

And besides, how does the car feel on the street? 442 torque to the wheels is no joke on pump gas.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

I own COBB also and sometimes I am wondering why for example JB guys never make posts like this when I see thread >disappointing dyno #s< it is almost every time COBB tune...

Can it be something wrong with this tune or maybe some ROMs are different?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
I own COBB also and sometimes I am wondering why for example JB guys never make posts like this when I see thread >disappointing dyno #s< it is almost every time COBB tune...

Can it be something wrong with this tune or maybe some ROMs are different?
Cobb OTS maps run very conservative, esp. with regards to advance. But with a protune there’s zero reason why JB should make any more power, frankly it’s a fairly simple device that has no ability to advance timing, just retard it. It feeds dummy signals and controls the wastegates for boost, then hopes the DME will handle the rest correctly. The DME is extremely intelligent and will usually be just fine if you get things in the ballpark, but I digress…

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
08LMB135i
Rally Armored 135i, don't copy me!
Rep
Drives: 2008 Lemans Blue 135i M Sport

Airboy's dyno I assume? I had my 135i dynoed at the Three Hills Show and Shine earlier this year with no fans and it put down 336 HP and 323 TQ, which I felt was way too high for just a flash tune.

From what I have heard Airboy's dyno is a heartbreaker, I am sure my car would have been 300 or less on his dyno.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
It’s not realistic for us to make informed statements here, the variation from dyno to dyno is simply too great to come to firm conclusions. With that being said, you have a roughly 135wtq delta from your baseline to the PTF FBO pump gas tune, that’s a pretty healthy gain IMO. Also consider that your baseline is from the spring, the weather was likely a good deal cooler, and I bet your WGDC was lower with the car hitting timing targets better. I understand the modest disappointment, but when you really think about it, I don’t see anything wrong here.

And besides, how does the car feel on the street? 442 torque to the wheels is no joke on pump gas.
honestly the car feels great. You are right, that much tq is no joke. Using ptf standard throttle map, 1st and 2nd were almost impossible to modulate with any sort of aggressive driving. The linear throttle map ptf made for me is much more drivable, but can still break free at will if desired. This is with michelin pss tires.

And it is because of that huge wheel wtq that I feel fairly confident everything is 'working as expected'. Yes would have been cooler in spring for sure. Also, given there had already been about 4 or 5 pulls before I even loaded the ptf map, I'm sure iat's were starting to affect things (even with fmic) and suspect the ptf numbers would have been a bit higher if I did ptf pulls first.

Still not sure why the ptf map is showing less hp after 5250 than the cobb map. Will maybe talk to them about that.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08LMB135i View Post
Airboy's dyno I assume? I had my 135i dynoed at the Three Hills Show and Shine earlier this year with no fans and it put down 336 HP and 323 TQ, which I felt was way too high for just a flash tune.

From what I have heard Airboy's dyno is a heartbreaker, I am sure my car would have been 300 or less on his dyno.
Yes airboy's dyno. what tune? I put down 330/409 on it with just stage 1 aggressive and dci. Which is why I am a little surprised I only gained another 23hp after fbo and ptf tune. But, alas, different day, different conditions, so who knows.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
08LMB135i
Rally Armored 135i, don't copy me!
Rep
Drives: 2008 Lemans Blue 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat
Quote:

Yes airboy's dyno. what tune? I put down 330/409 on it with just stage 1 aggressive and dci. Which is why I am a little surprised I only gained another 23hp after fbo and ptf tune. But, alas, different day, different conditions, so who knows.
GIAC tune. I have nothing else for power adders. There was a stock 6.2L Corvette on the dyno before my car and he made 333WHP so I guess I can say I make about the same as a base Corvette at our altitude.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
honestly the car feels great. You are right, that much tq is no joke. Using ptf standard throttle map, 1st and 2nd were almost impossible to modulate with any sort of aggressive driving. The linear throttle map ptf made for me is much more drivable, but can still break free at will if desired. This is with michelin pss tires.

And it is because of that huge wheel wtq that I feel fairly confident everything is 'working as expected'. Yes would have been cooler in spring for sure. Also, given there had already been about 4 or 5 pulls before I even loaded the ptf map, I'm sure iat's were starting to affect things (even with fmic) and suspect the ptf numbers would have been a bit higher if I did ptf pulls first.

Still not sure why the ptf map is showing less hp after 5250 than the cobb map. Will maybe talk to them about that.
Oh well there you go, 5 pulls before your PTF numbers = very likely heatsoaked. I’d be you were pulling some timing by that point, so knowing that I’d actually argue you should be encouraged by the results on what appears to be a “heartbreaker” dyno. As for the horsepower drop off up top, tough to know without knowing what your PTF map looks like on the tuning side. You could get a rough sense of what they were looking to do by checking out the WGDC, timing, and boost taper; but that would be very elementary and probably not fair to draw conclusions just based on that. Hit up Dzenno or Jake I’m sure they can give you far better insight than I can.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Ya, there were 3 official pulls on the cobb ots mapp and a couple aborted pulls where he was having issues with traction.

I may actually go back in September once it is a little cooler and just to a ptf run to get number that I know for sure is not heat soaked.

In hindsight, I probably should have done the ptf map first.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
GIAC tune. I have nothing else for power adders. There was a stock 6.2L Corvette on the dyno before my car and he made 333WHP so I guess I can say I make about the same as a base Corvette at our altitude.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Piggyback tunes put down hard to beat dyno numbers, especially when higher octane or meth is added. I never dyno'd my car when I was running a Procede, but it felt a little faster than my custom flash tune. The guys doing the tuning will also remind you to look close at the total area under the curve and not just the peak numbers. Your curve is like mine, smooth, no real peaks like piggybacks are more prone to show.

It's interesting to me that your readings are showing so much torque. My torque and hp are around 10 different if I remember correctly. This kinda reminds me of Dinan tunes which are very torque biased.

Still great numbers and more power than you'll easily be able to put down until you get an LSD!
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep

^ ya. definitely easy to break traction all the way through second. Really am wishing now I'd dyno'd the ptf tune first. oh well.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #16
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
It’s not realistic for us to make informed statements here, the variation from dyno to dyno is simply too great to come to firm conclusions. With that being said, you have a roughly 135wtq delta from your baseline to the PTF FBO pump gas tune, that’s a pretty healthy gain IMO....

...And besides, how does the car feel on the street? 442 torque to the wheels is no joke on pump gas.