BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M

I don't know that I am sharing any earth shaking knowledge here but I will put it out to comment.

The Car

Koni D/A's
H & R front swaybar
Hoosier A6's 265/295

Strengths

60 foot times
315’s will fit in the rear
Great stock manual seats
Turn in on the stock parts was great, there are issues with it on the race car parts
Power is quicker to spool up than my dinan stage 2 car
Steering feel is good

Weaknesses

Short wheel base makes the car off the pace in sweepers
Getting power to the ground

Random Thoughts

After market struts & shocks: My car worked better on the stock parts but I do believe it will be better than the stock setup with the right amount of time. I have Koni D/A on it.

Alignment: You have to get some front camber or R-comps will be eaten faster than ice cream by a fat girl with issues. I got 12 passes out of a $350 tire at one point this year.

Tires: With a 5mm offset you can get 265's on the front and the rear can handle 315's without rolling anything

Springs: I have to run the stock springs in the class I run in. I could use some more to help with body roll.

Sway bars: I have a e92, e93 and a H & R front sway bar. Right now I think I am over barred in the front due to not being able to move up in spring rate. This is causing some understeer and eating tires.

Jump in here if you are using your car and not using it to hold down a part of garage. Love to hear about your mods, setup and use of the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

After 10 months of commuting and random just go out and drive on the weekends I'm taking mine on a road trip I've always wanted to do. A week of pure driving from Atlanta to Acadia National Park hitting up as much of the Appalachians as I can, then up to Naigra Falls, across the Adirondacks, up and down Vermont and New Hampshire and then up to Maine. Might even cross over to Canadia.

Mostly stock just some minor cosmetics upgrades (OEM performance grills and pedals, black line taillights). Looking to add the BMS OCC and Forge IC at some point but that will be it as far as mods go. Just passed 12,500 miles on the ODO.

It's ridiculous how much I love driving this car. It is an ultimate driving machine.

Sorry, haven't hit a track or autocross... yet. But hope to at some point.
      09-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I still have my car in stock form and have found that it is a fantastically fun road car, beautifully balanced for driving 8/10ths on twisty mountain roads. Can't complain at all about stock power.

At the autocross, I feel like I am still trying to figure out the car. My best days (finishing in the top 1/3rd of cars, pretty strong competitors) were my first two days when I drove the car easily, staying well off the cones, gradually increasing speed as I learned the course. The last day I went, I got more aggressive and tried to extract everything out of the car that I could and it felt REALLY sloppy. I want to keep the car stock, so I am going to have to keep learning how to drive it the best way I can.

I am hoping to find some street tires in stock size that will be more forgiving, currently debating between PSS (best road choice), Advan AD08's (best autocross choice) and Potenza RE11's (seems like I will be the guinea pig on those for the 1M if I want to be). The PS2's almost seem to be heat-cycled out by my third autocross. I am also hoping to loosen things up front and try to take up all the slack to get more negative camber, and remove some toe-in front and rear to improve grip.

As for the track . . . maybe next year.
Appreciate 0