BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #45
tony0713
Private
Rep
Drives: alpine 135m

update

received the lip today while I was at work and the tracking info said it was delivered in "good condition". but was actually the complete opposite. got home to a ripped box and cracked lip, looking like something fell on it. despite the lying shipping company (TNT), jl-motoring was very cooperative and i had to send a couple pics of the damage for an insurance claim. they said they are sending another lip out tomorrow so we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #46
JefryHorizon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bus Pass

From previous experience with TNT, they are horrible but at the same time ridiculously cheap shipping service (not to mention method).

Now.. I had a chance to drop by JL Motoring this afternoon to try on their front lip. Apparently the thing is thin as heck(yes, flimsy alert), they spray paint the botton and the inside of the lip to make up for any distortions in the CF weave. During test fitting it seemed like the sides were slightly flexing wide and holes have to be drilled and double-side taped in the center. Overall if you get the job done right, it will fit pretty darn proper and for the price advertised I can honestly say you can't beat it. In the pictures below you should get a slight idea of how the sides would fit if drilled and mounted properly. The small crease at the end of the lip when pushed onto the front bumper is from the hex screws located below which were obstructing the lip's bottom surface from making flat contact. They also have a Hartge trunk spoiler and an "iCarbon" style quad according to a friend. Apparently the Hartge trunk spoiler is designed to fit right over our OEM trunk spoilers but this replica won't do a perfect job without a minor amount of filing as the fiberglass material on the inside edges is slightly too thick to accommodate the entire OEM trunk spoiler. I however have no doubts that if the OEM spoiler were to be removed, it would fit perfectly flush with our trunks. Ended up picking up their quad-diffuser since I don't think my custom quad will be done before MFest so we'll see how that goes. Will write up a full on review and quality comparison with a few other CF diffusers on the market.

Last edited by JefryHorizon; 04-12-2012 at 03:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 01:57 AM   #47
MinionM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 // 2020 M2CS

Thanks for all the pics guys... Sounds like, for the price, you can't beat it... I'll be ordering mine soon!

Will prolly pick up instead of ship to avoid any damage during transit...

Current Garage:
2012 M3 ZCP, Mineral White, DCT: Track Build
2020 M2CS, Misano Blue, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #48
tony0713
Private
Rep
Drives: alpine 135m

yea I also test fit mine. had the same impressions. thin and a little flimsy, but won't be too bad once taped and screwed. and also on their website they have "ups ground" as their shipping company, but obviously didnt use them.

edit for pics... kind of ironic it got damaged right at the fragile sticker.

Last edited by tony0713; 04-11-2012 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #49
micha3l
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Fitment looks about the same as the original icarbon lip, the outside edges used to flare out and when you pushed them in place the middle would bend downward, but with a bit of practice you could get it to fit properly.

The icarbon was also very thin as well, which was lucky otherwise you wouldn't be able to bend it to fit.

Looks good for the $$!

2011 BMW M3 - Mineral White - VF620 Supercharger - Gintani Sport Valved Exhaust - Harrop BBK - Arykym Front lip and Diffuser - KW Sleeve over kit - Forgestar CF5V Wheels
2009 BMW 135i - Space Grey - 11.841 @ 117.81mph - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #50
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefryHorizon View Post
From previous experience with TNT, they are horrible but at the same time ridiculously cheap shipping service (not to mention method).

Now.. I had a chance to drop by JT Motoring this afternoon to try on their front lip. Apparently the thing is thin as heck(yes, flimsy alert), they spray paint the botton and the inside of the lip to make up for any distortions in the CF weave. During test fitting it seemed like the sides were slightly flexing wide and holes have to be drilled and double-side taped in the center. Overall if you get the job done right, it will fit pretty darn proper and for the price advertised I can honestly say you can't beat it. In the pictures below you should get a slight idea of how the sides would fit if drilled and mounted properly. The small crease at the end of the lip when pushed onto the front bumper is from the hex screws located below which were obstructing the lip's bottom surface from making flat contact. They also have a Hartge trunk spoiler and an "iCarbon" style quad according to a friend. Apparently the Hartge trunk spoiler is designed to fit right over our OEM trunk spoilers but this replica won't do a perfect job without a minor amount of filing as the fiberglass material on the inside edges is slightly too thick to accommodate the entire OEM trunk spoiler. I however have no doubts that if the OEM spoiler were to be removed, it would fit perfectly flush with our trunks. Ended up picking up their quad-diffuser since I don't think my custom quad will be done before MFest so we'll see how that goes. Will write up a full on review and quality comparison with a few other CF diffusers on the market.
How much was the quad diffuser? and what are your impressions?

Last edited by M3Newbie88; 04-11-2012 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #51
phrenetiK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

holy picture quoting batman. this is a bmw forum you guys are supposed to be smart.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #52
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenetiK View Post
holy picture quoting batman. this is a bmw forum you guys are supposed to be smart.
lol fixed.. got lazy!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 03:45 AM   #53
JefryHorizon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bus Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LazyBmw View Post
How much was the quad diffuser? and what are your impressions?
Great consistent weave. Mounting the thing will prove to be quite a challenge to say the least but they said what I have is currently a prototype but they have many more coming along. Tomorrow I'm having my exhaust shop do the necessary adjustments to my current setup and I'll snap a couple more pics and review. I paid a very reasonable price for such a piece... so far...
Appreciate 0