BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-09-2017, 12:46 AM   #1
texas128i
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i

128i idle/power surging, but smooth with AC on

So twice, out of nowhere, my 2008 128i with 85k miles suddenly starts having a sporadic idle and when I give it gas it is also acting like it is missing or something. This was 2k apart between the incidences. First thing I did on the first issue was change the oil (I had just recently bought the car and was not sure about the oil in it, you know, thanks to the lack of a dipstick).

So when this happened, the first thing I think of to try to get it to improve is turn on the A/C and this DID WORK. It fixes the rough idle and acceleration and I got things home (was not far). I also hear a noise from the engine when acting up. Somewhat a sequel/whine I would say. I have a video and will see if I can post a link.

My first suspicion is something to do with the Vanos. Tomorrow I will check for any codes, but I don't see the indicator light light anything is wrong.

Edit: I had also cleaned both the vanos solenoids when I changed the oil as well. They seemed fine from a general inspection.
Edit 2: I drove the car 10 minutes later and no issues.

Thoughts? I suspect the Vanos system and wondering if it is the eccentric shaft sensor. Might need to get things tested.

Thanks.

Last edited by texas128i; 09-09-2017 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
Kev312
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 320i

Look at the plugs first. If the plugs and coils are fowled it will cause the car to hesitate. At 85k miles, do you have history of when a tune up was last done? You can easily pull a plug out to check it's condition. Mine did the same thing at about 65k miles.

Also, a squeal or whine on start up could be a pully or condenser bearing.
Appreciate 0