BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I just saw this video that Cobb made to show you how to change out a bad coil or bad spark plug. I think watching this video will be a big help to anyone changing their spark plugs.

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #24
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I just saw this video that Cobb made to show you how to change out a bad coil or bad spark plug. I think watching this video will be a big help to anyone changing their spark plugs.
Definitely! Thanks for the link, I just ordered a new set of plugs a few days ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #25
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55

Quote:

Thanks Dack, u r awesome, A helpul guide to change the spark plugs and coil packs.

* Note: This car has a 1M strut bar on it, any benefits?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #26
DanHazelrigg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i MSport EBII

Thanks for the write-up. Great Help! Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #27
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie135 View Post
Thanks Dack, u r awesome, A helpul guide to change the spark plugs and coil packs.

* Note: This car has a 1M strut bar on it, any benefits?

Thanks.

I think so. So does Harold bc he sells the conversion kit.

M3 Strut Tower Brace Kit for your 128i 135i
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ight=strut+bar
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #28
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Nice write up...

Funky looking plugs, requiring a deep 12-point socket.
      04-23-2012, 04:22 AM   #29
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Thanks yet again Dack!
I'll be doing this in a few days time before hitting the track on Friday. I'm at 24,00km but had had a misfire code come up for cylinder 1 last month on track.
      04-23-2012, 05:07 AM   #30
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Thanks yet again Dack!
I'll be doing this in a few days time before hitting the track on Friday. I'm at 24,00km but had had a misfire code come up for cylinder 1 last month on track.

Did you fix(replace) anything when you got that misfire code? IF not... you might want to move coil #1 to say cylinder #2 - if you get a code for cylinder #2 then you know its your coil pack for that cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #31
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Did you fix(replace) anything when you got that misfire code? IF not... you might want to move coil #1 to say cylinder #2 - if you get a code for cylinder #2 then you know its your coil pack for that cylinder.
Not yet Dack. Good idea. I'll swap coil 1 & 2 while I've got it all apart replacing the plugs.
By coincidence I had the code come up again (only the 2nd time ever), tonight. Gave it a bootful in 2nd gear, engine light came on and then ran VERY rough. Pulled over, stopped, restarted and all good again, but the new 29CD code remains.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #32
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Not yet Dack. Good idea. I'll swap coil 1 & 2 while I've got it all apart replacing the plugs.
By coincidence I had the code come up again (only the 2nd time ever), tonight. Gave it a bootful in 2nd gear, engine light came on and then ran VERY rough. Pulled over, stopped, restarted and all good again, but the new 29CD code remains.

Hummm.... well... its (probably) either a bad coil or plug. Watch that Cobb video - bc it is easy to snap the coil packs back improperly. You have to make sure the electrical harness goes/slides back onto the coil pack correctly. Maybe someone was in your engine before and did not do that correctly? Or it could be a bad coil/plug. G.L. and Report back!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #33
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hummm.... well... its (probably) either a bad coil or plug. Watch that Cobb video - bc it is easy to snap the coil packs back improperly. You have to make sure the electrical harness goes/slides back onto the coil pack correctly. Maybe someone was in your engine before and did not do that correctly? Or it could be a bad coil/plug. G.L. and Report back!
I had a similar issue with my Kawasaki last year. Cylinder no. 3 misfiring. I changed the plugs and swapped 3 & 4's coils over but still had a misfire. It turned out to be clogged jets in no. 3's carburettor...
I had my injectors checked & four were subsequently replaced in the 135 about 2,000km ago.

Last edited by TimMc; 04-24-2012 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #34
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Put new plugs in, swapped coils 1 & 2, deleted misfire code & went to track day yesterday. All good
      04-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #35
kensington
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135

I cant believe the dealer wants $350 to do this.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #36
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensington View Post
I cant believe the dealer wants $350 to do this.

It is quite an easy job to do. You only need a special spark plug tool and maybe a torque wrench.

Getting that LR 6mm cheasehead bolt(allen) out from the corner of the valve cover is about the only hard part of the job. Go slow and take your time. Be carefull when tugging up on the coil packs - they can break(!).

Watch that video... it really nothing special about doing this job yourself. IF you have changed the pollen filter or put in a pigg tune... you know how to do 90% of the job!

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #37
Racing135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Nice Post! Very informative!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #38
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

What am I doing worng?

I just went to changed the spark plugs at the 90k point (the dealer did them at 45k) and when I went to start the car up after I changed them out I got multiple misfires from different cylinders...mostly 1 and 6.

I followed the DIY on the site, torqued the plugs to 23nm, and made sure the coils were well seated. The car ran perfectly before I started.

I bought the OEM spark plugs from BAVAUTO and verified that they are the exact same as the ones I took out. I've even gone as far as swapping coils and putting in the old plugs but that has fixed nothing.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #39
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takrdown View Post
What am I doing worng?

I just went to changed the spark plugs at the 90k point (the dealer did them at 45k) and when I went to start the car up after I changed them out I got multiple misfires from different cylinders...mostly 1 and 6.

I followed the DIY on the site, torqued the plugs to 23nm, and made sure the coils were well seated. The car ran perfectly before I started.

I bought the OEM spark plugs from BAVAUTO and verified that they are the exact same as the ones I took out. I've even gone as far as swapping coils and putting in the old plugs but that has fixed nothing.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I would double check the coil pack connectors - it is possible to close them too quickly and the electrical connector doesn't sit correctly in the coil pack.
Watch that Cobb video again to see what I mean.

IF you STILL are having miss fires... I would remove those two cylinders(#1 & #6) and switch them with a "good" cylinder plug(from one of the rest, #2 thru #5) and restart up the engine and see IF you get any misfires. When you remove those two misfiring plugs... take a real close look at the gap. It is possible that one of the electrode tips is bent or not gap'd correctly. IF you have a spark plug gap gauge use it to double check the gaps.

Or maybe just reinstall two of your old spark plugs for now. Maybe get two new ones from BAVAUTO.

The reason why I bought my plugs at the dealer(more $$ I know...) was to avoid such a problem. Some say there is no difference. But I had read a few posts on the e90 forum about problems with using plugs from not a BMW dealer.

Please post and let us know what the problem was.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #40
takrdown
Rep

Thanks for the reply but I'm just going to throw in the towel and have it towed to the dealer. I'm so pissed off right now. I've already buttoned up the car. I flinch every time I start the car after swapping something and I hear the mess under the hood. I feel like I'm doing permanent damage. I'll let you know how it works out but since it's a holiday weekend I'm without a car for a bit.

BTW last time I got a 1, 3, and 6 misfire with a multiple misfire code.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #41
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

So... I got this PM the other day from J-Sud...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Hi Alex,

Do you know IF BMW has changed the specs for the 135i spark plugs? Switched from a four tip to a single tip. ???

Thanks,
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sud
I was looking at your DYI....I went and got new plugs from the dealer and they are single prong not 4....different part number too. 12 12 0 037 582.

Thoughts? I looked it up seems to be a for a 135i...

Jon

Hi Jon,

Humm... I don't know. When I search on RealOEM.com for those plugs they do show them. But for what spec 135i I am not sure. Is your car euro or USA or what land? Also N54 or N55 ?

Here is the plug you have...
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...12&fg=05&hl=34

When I look up my 135i (US specs) it shows this plug...
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...17&hg=12&fg=05

Q). Did your parts guy look up the spark plugs via your VIN ? Then it must be correct.

Personally if the only difference is one electrode vs four... I wouldn't worry about it. The four electrodes are for long life.. since the spark wears down four contact points slower than just one.

Maybe send a PM to Drivehard (Alex) he works for a BMW dealer in NY. Maybe he can shed some light on these new plugs!?

bye,
Dackel

hey dave,

didnt see anything by way of bulletins or anything ??? ill have to check, but i dont have access to what i need here.. ill have to get back to the thread on tuesday..( memorial day weekend here in the starts..
That is fine Alex. Your my go to BMW guy! I just did not hear about these plugs before.

Btw... there was another 1addict guy post in my spark plug DIY thread... that he bought spark plugs from BAVAUTO... and he got several misfire codes. I think he either broke a coil or damage or mixed up a coil wire connector. Or it could be aftermarket plugs - I have read on the e90 forum that a few guys had issues until they bought BMW plugs from a dealer.

Have a great weekend. I'm working right now on my Hockenheimring Tuner War GP pics. WHAT a great weekend in DE!!!

bye,
David
Hey David,

Ok here is the scoop..

135 N54

plug 12-12-0-037-050 ( unknown prongs ) replaced on 1/7/2008 by....

plug 12-12-0-034-087 ( unknown prongs ) replaced on 1/11/2008 by ....

12-12-0-037-244 ( 3 prong, not 4 ) in current production

135 N55

plug 12-12-0-037-575 ( unknown prongs ) replaced on 3/17/2009 by ....

12-12-0-037-582 ( single prong )

both of theses plugs were visuially confirmed and in my hands.

all application currenta s of this morning ..

(Please post on thread, as i could not find the one that you were referencing )

Regards,

Alex

Btw... J-Sud told me in another PM today his dealer gave him the wrong plugs. So... J-Sud... I think you should post your part numbers.

Also NOTE my failing memory as the plugs I used in my car were THREE pronged not four pronged.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #42
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
So... I got this PM the other day from J-Sud...

Btw... J-Sud told me in another PM today his dealer gave him the wrong plugs. So... J-Sud... I think you should post your part numbers.

Also NOTE my failing memory as the plugs I used in my car were THREE pronged not four pronged.

Dackel
The correct part number from the dealer i received is in fact 12-12-0-037-244, as I have the N54.

The original part number they gave me was 12-12-0-037-582, for my 2009, Spet 08 build, which are for the N55.

Now just need to find time to change them since the long weekend is over! Dackel, thanks for the help, I hope this clarifies somethings for others.

Remember, always check the part numbers that the dealer gives you.

05-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #43
takrdown
Rep

The plugs I used before the misfire matched the part numbers that were in the car. Those new plugs are from BAVAUTO though. The car is with Mark at Northeast Motor Werks in Middletown, CT as we speak so I'll let you guys know what he figured out. BTW both plugs old and new that I had were 3 prong.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #44
takrdown
Rep

UPDATE:

I called Mark this afternoon at Northeast Motor Werks and he gave me the skinny on what he has found. First he ran the diagnostics and I still had misfire codes on 1,3, and 6.

He then pulled all of the plugs and found that many of them were already pretty beat up and dirty. (Keep in mind these were new plugs when I installed them on Saturday).

He checked gaps, verified they were OEM and reinstalled them. He started the car and it still misfired.

He then reset the ECU just to try that and still got the misfires.

He then swapped the ignition coil packs and the problem did not move with the packs.

Up to this point these are things I had already had done, but any good troubleshooter goes over all of it again IMO.

He had a brand new set of the OEM plugs in his shop so he pulled all of my new plugs and placed in his new plugs….car fired right up and hummed like day 1.

So, this makes me feel good for a few reasons. For starters, it proves to me I’m not an idiot and knew what I was doing. Secondly it reaffirms the value of these forums.

Dackelone was right yet again. I’m not sure if Bavarian Autosport stores their spark plugs in a pool or a fire pit or if they simply got damaged in shipping but they didn’t work. I can say with 100% accuracy they are the dealership sold OEM BMW plugs. I can also say…again… they didn’t work.

So the moral of the story is stop being a cheap ass like me and just drive to your local dealer (if you can) and hand carry those plugs out of there.

Thanks again guys! I’m getting the car back tomorrow probably as I’m having Mark do some other stuff. He’s great to work with and if anyone in CT is looking for an independent shop I would highly recommend him.
Appreciate 0