BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #1
Goody4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Any 128i options experts; need opinion on car for sale

I'm interested in this odd bird, and have some questions before I check it out in person. Looking at the pictures in the link will help answer some of these.

http://www.luxurycars.com/detail.asp...PrefID=0&.aspx

1.) Was there ever a way to get a wooden shifter, yet have aluminum trim in the rest of the car? I'm trying to determine if the previous owner did this himself, and I doubt the salesman will know.

2.) In one of pictures, what is the thing just under the center console and in front of the Aux jack? It looks like a superball to me, but I'm wondering again if something was attached here aftermarket.

3.) Is the interior mirror auto-dimming? I'm guessing this is a premium package only item, but maybe it was standard in 2010.

4.) Is there any visible way to discern if the car is equipped with the sports package? (Or, maybe there wasn't one available.)

5.) Is Bluetooth in this car? Is satellite radio in this car?

6.) Assuming this isn't a rebuilt title, is the factory warranty still good?

7.) How concerned should I be that this car isn't on a BMW dealer lot? Kind of referring to previous accidents in this regard.

8.) Were there any ever problems 128i owners had in large numbers that I should look for? (As a 335i owner, I would tell potential buyers to ask about the High Pressure Fuel Pump, and if it's been replaced and how many times has it been replaced.)

I call this 128i strange simply because of the way it's optioned:

--manual, unheated, leatherette seats

--navigation

--halogen headlights

--10(?) gigs of mp3 hard drive paired to a stock stereo.

--Limited slip differential? Ain't no way, right?

I've noticed the winter rims and tires, too. But, that doesn't bother me.

If there's anything else you notice (except that I may be a little slow on the uptake), please point it out. Anything is helpful.

Last edited by Goody4; 04-27-2013 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
pdisher
privateer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MB E350 - Bluetec

You can find how the car was optioned here

http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
bimmer74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody4 View Post
I'm interested in this odd bird, and have some questions before I check it out in person. Looking at the pictures in the link will help answer some of these.

1.) Was there ever a way to get a wooden shifter, yet have aluminum trim in the rest of the car? I'm trying to determine if the previous owner did this himself, and I doubt the salesman will know.

2.) In one of pictures, what is the thing just under the center console and in front of the Aux jack? It looks like a superball to me, but I'm wondering again if something was attached here aftermarket.

3.) Is the interior mirror auto-dimming? I'm guessing this is a premium package only item, but maybe it was standard in 2010.

4.) Is there any visible way to discern if the car is equipped with the sports package? (Or, maybe there wasn't one available.)

7.) How concerned should I be that this car isn't on a BMW dealer lot? Kind of referring to previous accidents in this regard.

8.) Was there any ever problems 128i owners had in large numbers that I should look for? (As a 335i owner, I would tell potential buyers to ask about the High Pressure Fuel Pump, and if it's been replaced and how many times has it been replaced.)

--navigation

--halogen headlights

If there's anything else you notice (except that I may be a little slow on the uptake), please point it out. Anything is helpful.
1. No wooden shifter was offered but they are easy to change.

2. Not sure what you mean. There is a bracket for a cup holder to the right of the shifter.

3. The mirrors are not auto dimming without premium package

4. Yes the car has the sport package because it has sport seats with the larger side bolsters

5. If there is an SOS button in the sunroof control area then the car has BMW assist with Bluetooth. These came together as a package or part of the premium package.

6. I would double-check the VIN with a BMW dealer to be sure.

7. The price is a bit low so I would definitely check with the dealer and run other checks to make sure it is not salvage. If all checks out, the car will be under warranty for another 8,000 miles or so.

8. The 128i doesn't have many problems. If there is loud ticking at idle when the engine is cold, the lifters may need replacing. There were also a couple of recalls regarding seat belts and battery cable. The third brake light also tends to break which a dealer will fix for free.

The leatherette seats without heaters will be VERY cold in winter. Overall, the car is quite a bit misrepresented - there is no leather, no LSD, unlikely Bluetooth, unlikely alarm. I would be careful with this one.
      04-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Goody4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Thanks pdisher and bimmer74 for these quick replies. You two aided me more than you can probably know.

Last edited by Goody4; 04-27-2013 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Thanks pdisher and bimmer74 for these quick replies. You two aided me more than you can probably know.
Along with what the two posters said above, i would skip this car altogether. I would rather pay a little bit more for a used 128i that was cared for by an enthusiast (such as the many people on these forums) and that was not in a previous accident.

Hope you find the right car! It takes a lot of patience...
      04-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

It looks like it does have the alarm; M-Sport package, leatherette manual sport seats. It does not have the HiFi package, nor heated seats. Limited Slip - not likely unless one was added. It would have the electronic version otherwise. It lists the warning triangle which might mean it was picked up in Europe - or was military purchased.

Those wheels and shifter knob are not standard issue.

Vehicle information
Type
Value
VIN WBAUP7C52AVF07631
Type code UP73
Type 128I ML (USA)
E series E82 ()
Series 1
Type COUPE
Steering LL
Doors 2
Engine N52K
Displacement 3.00
Power 172
Drive HECK
Transmission MECH
Colour LE-MANS-BLAU METALLIC (381)
Upholstery SENSATEC/SCHWARZ (KASW)
Prod.date 2009-09-18

Options
Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S1CAA SELEKTION COP RELEVANTER FAHRZEUGE Selection of COP-relevant vehicles
S249A MULITFUNKTION FUER LENKRAD Multifunction f steering wheel
S2MGA M LM RAEDER DOPPELSP. 207 M MISCHB. BMW alloy wheel, M double spoke 207
S2VBA REIFENDRUCKANZEIGE Tyre pressure display
S302A ALARMANLAGE Alarm system
P337A M SPORTPAKET M Sports package
S423A FUSSMATTEN IN VELOURS Floor mats velours
S428A WARNDREIECK Warning triangle and first aid kit
S442A GETRAENKEHALTER Drink holder
S481A SPORTSITZE FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Sports seat
S4MGA INTERIEURLEISTEN ALU GLACIERSILBER Int. mouldings aluminium glacier-silver
S521A REGENSENSOR Rain sensor
S534A KLIMAAUTOMATIK Automatic air conditioning
S540A GESCHWINDIGKEITSREGELUNG Cruise control
S570A STAERKERE STROMVERSORGUNG Reinforced power supply
Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S609A NAVIGATIONSSYSTEM PROFESSIONAL Navigation system Professional
S620A SPRACHEINGABESYSTEM Voice control
S693A SATELLITENTUNER VORBEREITUNG Preparation BMW satellite radio
S697A AREA-CODE 1 Area-Code 1 for DVD
S6FLA USB-AUDIO-SCHNITTSTELLE USB/audio interface
S6UHA TRAFFIC INFORMATION Traffic Information
S704A M SPORTFAHRWERK M Sports suspension
S710A M LEDERLENKRAD M leather steering wheel
S715A M AERODYNAMIKPAKET M Aerodynamics package
S760A INDIVIDUAL HOCHGLANZ SHADOW LINE High gloss shadow line
S775A INDIVIDUAL DACHHIMMEL ANTHRAZIT Headlining anthracite
S840A HOCHGESCHWINDIGKEITSABSTIMMUNG High speed synchronisation
S863A SERVICE KONTAKT-FLYER EUROPA Dealer List Europe
S880A ENGLISCH / BORDLITERATUR On-board literature, English
S8SCA LAENDERSPEZ. TELESERVICEFREISCH. Telematics access request,country-spec.
Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S8SPA COP STEUERUNG Control unit COP

Standard equipment
Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S321A EXTERIEURUMFAENGE IN WAGENFARBE Exterior parts in vehicle colour
S473A ARMAUFLAGE VORN Armrest front
S520A NEBELSCHEINWERFER Fog lights
S645A RADIO-STEUERUNG US BMW US Radio
S823A HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG Hot-climate version
S845A AKUSTISCHE GURTWARNUNG Acoustic fasten seat belt reminder
S850A ZUSAETZL. TANKFUELLUNG EXPORT Additional Export tank filling
S853A SPRACHVERSION ENGLISCH Language version, English
S876A FUNKFREQUENZ 315 MHZ Radio frequency 315 MHz
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:

8.) Were there any ever problems 128i owners had in large numbers that I should look for? (As a 335i owner, I would tell potential buyers to ask about the High Pressure Fuel Pump, and if it's been replaced and how many times has it been replaced.)

--navigation

--halogen headlights

1) the nob can be easily changed out. Not a big deal
2) that ball that you speak off is where the cigarette lighter would go
(mine didn't have a lighter so BMW just put a plastic cap in its place)
3)Doubt you have premium packing and all that is comes with because you have not moon roof on the car.
4) e82 build in 2010 and even in 2010 had both a sport package and a M-Sport package to choose from. From the looks of it you have a M-sport package.
5) To make absolutely sure, just turn on the car and see if you can pair your phone with it. Or open the trunk, lift the linear and if on the right side of the trunk you have a silver box, you should have Bluetooth.
6) factory warranty can still be valid. The car still has not reach 50,000 miles. But this is research you need to do on your own cause their could be plenty of factors here.
7) I would be a bit concerned. If this non-bmw dealer fixing the car, they are not very entitle to fix it using OEM parts. They will used the cheapest parts they can to have the car running to sell it to the next sucker that is willing to buy. Even if you are buying this from another dealer, you still can do a PPI on the car to make sure everything checks out
8) Their is a battery recall for all e82 right now. But I have had my 128i for over 2 years now and I have not had any problems. The idrive though is another story.

16,000 is a pbit low for this car. I would be very cautious at this stage. When things are to good to be true, most of the time they are. Do a PPI for the car, this will be piece of mind.

Last edited by Zeros and ones; 04-27-2013 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

A friend of mine was looking at a couple of used e46 3 series several years ago. One was a CPO from the BMW dealer and the other one was at an independent car dealer. The BMW dealer wanted $1500 more than the independent car dealer. He took the car from the independent car dealer. Within three years he had put over $3000 into the car for repairs which would have been covered by the CPO warranty.

I would see what BMW has to offer. You can also look for BMW CPO cars not in your area on the BMW NA web site and they will have one shipped in if you want.
      04-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
16,000 is a put low for this car. I would be very cautious at this stage. When things are to go to be true, most of the time they are.
Exactly. A few months ago, I was looking at a clean title 06 Competition Package E46 M3 with ~50k miles that was selling for 23k at a Nissan/Infiniti dealer. This was well below the going market value for this car because it had an accident in 2011 and according to the carfax, the car was towed to a BMW dealer.

I went to go look at the car, it was in great condition and you would not have known it had been rear-ended and required a tow. I spoke with the Nissan/Infiniti dealer manager about the accident, he only said that "it was pretty minor".

I spoke with a friend who works at the same BMW dealership that it was towed too about the car, he looked into it and said it required $13k worth of work. There was nothing "minor" about this accident, had the damage been a little bit more it would of been a salvage title.
      04-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5

Garage List
2011 128i  [5.66]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive View Post
Exactly. A few months ago, I was looking at a clean title 06 Competition Package E46 M3 with ~50k miles that was selling for 23k at a Nissan/Infiniti dealer. This was well below the going market value for this car because it had an accident in 2011 and according to the carfax, the car was towed to a BMW dealer.
that sir was an excellent find had it not been in an accident. Plus with 50k on the odo... WOW!!!! That car was barely driven!

I am guessing you did not pick up the car. Did your buddy tell you how much frame damage was down to the car after he told you how 'minor', LOL, the rear end damage was?