BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #23
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafou View Post
Ok, so it's not as easy as it seem...
its not terribly hard to improve on the 135i to get it up to 1M levels. But the 1m is an absolute performer out of the box and for the offered msrp it couldnt be beat at the time. modding a 135i to 1m status without body work costs much more than the difference between the two. Only now with the 1m so rare and prices so inflated that someone could buy a used 135i and mod it to 1m and be under the 1m price. For the group of us who already owned FBO 135i's when the 1m dropped, it did make sense to continue our cars as it didnt make sense to sell ours and buy a very similar car.

But again stock for stock, the 1m crushes the 135i(s) in the suspension and chassis department in my book. My 135i on stock suspension and runflats was terrible.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #24
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
My 135i on stock suspension and runflats was terrible.
Yes, yes it is. It was such an amazing transformation when I installed the BMW Perf Suspension and ditched the runflats for PS2s (now PSS). Completely transformed the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #25
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Yes, yes it is. It was such an amazing transformation when I installed the BMW Perf Suspension and ditched the runflats for PS2s (now PSS). Completely transformed the car.
absolutely. Control arms, lsd and subframe bushings really complete the package.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #26
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
oh I don't think I'd ever updated this thread....so....umm

I bought that 1M the weekend before last. I decided life is short and I work hard and life is short and life is short!

After driving it since, most of my opinions are still similar, although I'm starting to understand why people say it feels like a 'different car'. After extended time with the 1M, i am starting to think that it does feel like a very different car in some respects to the rest of the 1er brotherhood. It's behaviour is very different in terms of handling bumps and corners and there is a massive difference in the steering. The bumps that used to squirm my 135is around don't even phase the 1M and you really can feel the M3 front and and rear axles as well as suspension giving it a very aggressive stance and composition dynamically. Possibly the biggest difference of everything though is the steering. the steering rack from the M3 is so fantastic.....so alert and ready to move the car instantly. It feels totally alive. Swerving to avoid a pothole in this is so instant I can actually avoid them!!! lol! The car feels like a science project and that's part of what is so charming about it....it has this strange aura to it that makes you wonder what went on behind the scenes. It is a weird car; but somehow that makes it more endearing.

the throttle response is kind of crazy with the M button ON.....i only push it when i'm out for a thrill! lol. don't drive with it on most of the time...as the MPGs crash down as well.

The 1M gets A LOT of attention......everywhere i go. people waving, honking, taking photos. It's kind of crazy. I'm not that social of a person, however I feel it turns me into a celebrity even in a traffic jam. Kind of bizarre....i am still getting used to it a little as i find it a bit, umm....much? lol. After driving a 135 it is really odd to still be driving a 1-series and getting supercar-like attention. I guess a lot of people watch Top Gear? haha

I loved my 135is and everyone should enjoy their 1ers...I should say I'm very very happy with the 1M!

I think making a car that performs to 1M stats is not hard for most 135 owners....but making something that feels special like it is a bit more challenging. I'm pretty sure some of you can manage it though!! a lot of nice 1ers on this forum for sure!!!

I'm a huge fan of the 1-series and and always will be! I am going to DD my 1M through NYC every single bloody day...because i didn't pay this money to sit around gawking at it!
Attached Images

Last edited by IEDEI; 06-25-2014 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #27
C135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M sport BMW PPK1

Garage List
2013 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
oh I don't think I'd ever updated this thread....so....umm

I bought that 1M the weekend before last. I decided life is short and I work hard and life is short and life is short!

After driving it since, most of my opinions are still similar, although I'm starting to understand why people say it feels like a 'different car'. After extended time with the 1M, i am starting to think that it does feel like a very different car in some respects to the rest of the 1er brotherhood. It's behaviour is very different in terms of handling bumps and corners and there is a massive difference in the steering. The bumps that used to squirm my 135is around don't even phase the 1M and you really can feel the M3 front and and rear axles as well as suspension giving it a very aggressive stance and composition dynamically. Possibly the biggest difference of everything though is the steering. the steering rack from the M3 is so fantastic.....so alert and ready to move the car instantly. It feels totally alive. Swerving to avoid a pothole in this is so instant I can actually avoid them!!! lol! The car feels like a science project and that's part of what is so charming about it....it has this strange aura to it that makes you wonder what went on behind the scenes. It is a weird car; but somehow that makes it more endearing.

the throttle response is kind of crazy with the M button ON.....i only push it when i'm out for a thrill! lol. don't drive with it on most of the time...as the MPGs crash down as well.

The 1M gets A LOT of attention......everywhere i go. people waving, honking, taking photos. It's kind of crazy. I'm not that social of a person, however I feel it turns me into a celebrity even in a traffic jam. Kind of bizarre....i am still getting used to it a little as i find it a bit, umm....much? lol. After driving a 135 it is really odd to still be driving a 1-series and getting supercar-like attention. I guess a lot of people watch Top Gear? haha

I loved my 135is and everyone should enjoy their 1ers...I should say I'm very very happy with the 1M!

I think making a car that performs to 1M stats is not hard for most 135 owners....but making something that feels special like it is a bit more challenging. I'm pretty sure some of you can manage it though!! a lot of nice 1ers on this forum for sure!!!

I'm a huge fan of the 1-series and and always will be! I am going to DD my 1M through NYC every single bloody day...because i didn't pay this money to sit around gawking at it!
STOKED!! Congrats on a once in a lifetime kinda car!!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #28
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Congrats on the 1M. I am very jealous. I am super happy that you will be driving it every day. Those cars are built to be enjoyed, not garaged. Have fun!
      06-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #29
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C135i View Post
STOKED!! Congrats on a once in a lifetime kinda car!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Congrats on the 1M. I am very jealous. I am super happy that you will be driving it every day. Those cars are built to be enjoyed, not garaged. Have fun!
thanks fellas!! appreciated. i agree...cars are meant to be driven. have never understood the philosophy of buy it and not drive it.....for me, that would be a miserable ownership experience! ha
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #30
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
thanks fellas!! appreciated. i agree...cars are meant to be driven. have never understood the philosophy of buy it and not drive it.....for me, that would be a miserable ownership experience! ha
Agreed!

Everytime I have purchased a car and let it sit in the garage whilst I drive my crappy corolla as a daily - buyers remorse sets in and I feel like I am not enjoying the car at all.

Cars are made to driven, they are never going to be an asset class that is worth significant investment into for capital growth.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #31
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
Quote:
I leased my 135is for 2 years and have 15 months left on the lease. You can probably imagine then that getting out of a lease is HARD without losing plenty of money.....and that's the only thing currently preventing me from getting a 1M. I have a 22k mile a year lease as i commute 120 miles a day by freeway to my job.....so my lease payments are fairly high ($700++ a month) but i don't mind----at least i have a great car to commute with!
:P
So I have to ask and if too personal tell me to mind my own business... after getting out of the lease and into the 1M what's your monthly nut like?
      06-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #32
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebra View Post
So I have to ask and if too personal tell me to mind my own business... after getting out of the lease and into the 1M what's your monthly nut like?
well i'll put it this way. I lost a few thousand dollars FOR SURE. I had 0 down on my lease...so i didn't lose any of that stuff. The loss ended up being less than i expected when i had first written this post...as i traded my car in and through negotiating minimized the loss i'd have. my lease got purchased through the dealer and my lease buyout got paid off.

I think if one is the type of person who can't stand to lose a few thousand dollars for nothing, then this type of deal is not for them. If you're like me and don't really care as long as you get what you want----then that type of activity will do the trick!

in my world, my years, life, and time are way more important than money. I gladly took the loss, told myself that "hey that wasn't smart...but it's OK" and after two weeks of spending some loot to get this done----i have 0% regret so i think it worked out well!

sometimes it's worth the sacrifice to make one of your own fantasies come true, y'know?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 09:43 PM   #33
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7smurfs View Post
Agreed!

Everytime I have purchased a car and let it sit in the garage whilst I drive my crappy corolla as a daily - buyers remorse sets in and I feel like I am not enjoying the car at all.

Cars are made to driven, they are never going to be an asset class that is worth significant investment into for capital growth.
exactly. my 401k saves for my latter years. So when i'm 85 years old with a little grandkid in my lap they'll ask me questions about the old days and how i used to drive an Orange 1M 120 miles a day through NYC......to me that's a story to tell. To me that's not having any regrets and to me that's living in the now. Whether it's a 135i, 1M, Porsche 911, or whatever---if it's modern, if it's driveable, then it's worth nothing to me if it can't be driven!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 11:35 PM   #34
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
Quote:
well i'll put it this way. I lost a few thousand dollars FOR SURE. I had 0 down on my lease...so i didn't lose any of that stuff. The loss ended up being less than i expected when i had first written this post...as i traded my car in and through negotiating minimized the loss i'd have. my lease got purchased through the dealer and my lease buyout got paid off.

I think if one is the type of person who can't stand to lose a few thousand dollars for nothing, then this type of deal is not for them. If you're like me and don't really care as long as you get what you want----then that type of activity will do the trick!

in my world, my years, life, and time are way more important than money. I gladly took the loss, told myself that "hey that wasn't smart...but it's OK" and after two weeks of spending some loot to get this done----i have 0% regret so i think it worked out well!

sometimes it's worth the sacrifice to make one of your own fantasies come true, y'know?
Couldn't agree more. Enjoy it!