BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-31-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
PL99
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 JB 135i

Too good to be true...

Though this is my first post, i have been lurking for quite awhile and wanted to post my experience about ordering a 135i and get some opinions on it.

After visiting my local dealer right after Christmas with some questions about the 135 and more specifically ED, I came out with nothing. I was told that there was no information on any of the questions I asked, which may have been true. The salesman said he would call me when details became available.

Fast forward to last week. No call from the salesman, so I decided to talk to another person at the same dealership. I had all of my information stored in my head (that I learned on this board) and was ready to go. Sat down with the salesman, said he would do a ED specially for me since the company I work for has a participation program with this dealership (not sure if this mattered or not). I tell him I can travel whenever the car is ready, but I would like the order to go in asap so i could have the car for a good portion of summer. He tells me he needs to see when the earliest BMW can build me one (this i am curious about since I think as soon as they get an allocation # that they would start the process, maybe someone can clarify). He told me he would call this previous monday with what they say in New Jersey (i guess this is where he sends the info). I tell him if they can start building it in Feb, that I will come back that night with my $1000 deposit.

Fast forward to today. Where I get this email.

"I received an e--mail from european delivery. They do not have any 1 series for production yet. they expect some inMay 2008. Allowing three months that would be March to place the order."

So I'm real bummed.

Basically I am thinking that he told me he could do this now, and his boss said no, they have all of their current allocation used up, or simply won't do one now. Not being 100% familiar with how "production" works in ED's: Does this seem true? Also, if the order was placed March 1st, I got over there as soon as it was finished, and dropped it off the port the day I got there, Im guessing I would see the car here in July at the earliest?

Any input is welcome.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
imported_135Driver
Addict
Rep
Drives:

...Wow, that is a total bummer. I would like to see this information too though, as I don't know much either about how the whole production process.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

You should get clarification that they will allow you to do an ED delivery in May, or they'll let you order a car in May... If it's the former (doing ED in May) that sounds about right.

If it's the latter, I'm thinking their allocations for 1ers are taken until May allocations, or they do not want to do an ED for you at this time, while the car is hottest... Either is possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
PL99
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I'm gonna give him a call after I leave work, but he sent me 2 different stories it seems. If they have none for production till May, that makes me believe that they start building in May, but he says I cant place the order until march...would they really take the order in march and not start building until may?? If that were the case Im guessing I would get the car here in October...just in time for winter...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
PL99
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I just called and I found out that I could place the order in March and take delivery in May (barring any setbacks). He also informed me that the "launch" date was May 1st...(i thought it was March 22nd) so I think they just used up all their allocation for February and he didn't want to tell me that. Apparently I'm now on a list (there wasn't a list when I was there over the weekend) and I will be called when I can place an order. Im disappointed to say the least.
Appreciate 0