not a bad price either.....
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #288
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

I contacted these guys a few weeks back, local and cheap for a carbon diffuser ....

http://www.ssdd-motorsport.com/show_...hp?prod_id=744
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #289
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

These are exactly my thoughts on difusors in general and specifically on the Alpha item. I am also going to order that difusor plus splitters and the trunk lid which I find spot on. Planning to first leave a strip unpainted on the trunk lid and then I will decide to leave it like that or (probably) fully paint it in VO. The splitter will be painted on the larger upper section but left unpainted at the bottom just 1 or max 2 cm. width.

Very much looking fwd to hear your impressions and tips on quality, install etc. when you receive and install yours.

[QUOTE=Aussie_in_London;12256599]First thing, not getting stung by import tax as we are inside the EU

then I was after something a little more than the oem look but still subtle and not overly different, plus the alpha swoops back in the mid section and covers the viewing of the backbox, plus the cutouts for the exhaust wraps around a little more so, I thought if I was to replace I might as well go for something a bit different but close while I am at it.....

And I really do like the look of the alpha
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #290
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
I contacted these guys a few weeks back, local and cheap for a carbon diffuser ....

http://www.ssdd-motorsport.com/show_...hp?prod_id=744
That looks spot on, did it look too OEM for you?

I really do like the Alpha but for me its just too different, covers up the tips too much and sticks out back more than my liking. Plus the centre section going backwards.

Don't know if I can wait another four weeks though for some pics of it on your cars!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:11 AM   #291
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
These are exactly my thoughts on difusors in general and specifically on the Alpha item. I am also going to order that difusor plus splitters and the trunk lid which I find spot on. Planning to first leave a strip unpainted on the trunk lid and then I will decide to leave it like that or (probably) fully paint it in VO. The splitter will be painted on the larger upper section but left unpainted at the bottom just 1 or max 2 cm. width.

Very much looking fwd to hear your impressions and tips on quality, install etc. when you receive and install yours.
You have some nice ideas re the painting and carbon exposed, I look forward to seeing it done and fitted.

I was very keen on the splitters but my concern is the ground clearance and as they appear to be very close to the lowest point of the centre of the bumper, which I have now scrapped a number of times running a 10mm lowered ride height up front, I didn't want to be spending out and ending up with a crunch, so I will hold out for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:19 AM   #292
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
That looks spot on, did it look too OEM for you?

I really do like the Alpha but for me its just too different, covers up the tips too much and sticks out back more than my liking. Plus the centre section going backwards.

Don't know if I can wait another four weeks though for some pics of it on your cars!

My only really bug bear with the 1M has been the exposed back box, the oem diffuser does nothing at all to hide it but the alpha does sort this out, plus I do like the bit more the alpha provides without being to much for the area, it does flow with the design of the rear, and I wont have a problem with the tips being covered as mine are larger than oem so it will fit the gap nicely, I just like the design a bit more and it does everything I am looking for, especially matching the performance boot spoiler while at a good price.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:24 AM   #293
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

Quote:
My only really bug bear with the 1M has been the exposed back box, the oem diffuser does nothing at all to hide it but the alpha does sort this out, plus I do like the bit more the alpha provides without being to much for the area, it does flow with the design of the rear, and I wont have a problem with the tips being covered as mine are larger than oem so it will fit the gap nicely, I just like the design a bit more and it does everything I am looking for, especially matching the performance boot spoiler while at a good price.
Does Alpha N carry out wind tunnel tests to determine if there are any imbalances to the rear of the car at high speeds?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:44 AM   #294
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
Does Alpha N carry out wind tunnel tests to determine if there are any imbalances to the rear of the car at high speeds?
Don't know to be honest but I do know they make many parts for a number of race teams both for weight reduction and aerodynamics but somehow doubt many of the carbon products available on the market by suppliers have been wind tunnel tested knowing how expensive wind tunnel testing is, but saying that, the oem diffuser is just an air catchment in itself and none of the after market carbon diffusers are actual 'diffusers' in the technical term even the ones with fins, mainly cosmetic but being road cars will not really make much of a difference

From their website

Together with our partners, we have many years of experience in the field of high-quality fiber-reinforced components made of CFRP, GFRP and Kevlar. Our composite products are manufactured as single pieces or small series. From Design to model, mold to the finished product all under one roof.

These lightweight components are used for road vehicles and in racing.

We manufacture extremely lightweight carbon fiber parts such as hoods, fenders, bumpers, trunk lids, spoilers and interior parts mainly for BMW, Ferrari and Porsche.

We manufacture our own products and solutions for business partners and customers. All carbon parts are planned according to the individual needs of clients and manufactured. This is done under the aspects of weight loss, an aerodynamic optimization and functionality.

Our high surface quality we produce with a fine layer of carbon fiber and Kevlar or transparent laminate.

In the initial phase, the first hurdle in the design. Here we work with a creative designer who translates your wishes and ideas. The result is a sophisticated design as a finished CAD data.

Model and Mold:

Model and mold making in CAD
Production on CNC machines
Production:

We work with various manufacturing processes depending on the component, in order to achieve the best possible quality.
Prepreg
Autoclave Technology
Vacuum process
Pressing process
Vacuum injection
Wet laminate method

Last edited by Aussie_in_London; 07-03-2012 at 04:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #295
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

The reason I ask is because Matt fitted his M3 bonnet to his 1M and he did comment that at high speed he thought that it made the car feel more unstable. I know that the bonnet is at the front of the car and any changes there are probably more noticeable but still worth asking the question.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #296
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I really doubt any of the carbon diffusers are going to mess up the rear stability and Alpha have been doing their testing on their own 1M and they are on the door step of the ring and de-restricted autobahn, aerodynamics re the bonnet is a totally different thing though.....
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #297
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
I really doubt any of the carbon diffusers are going to mess up the rear stability and Alpha have been doing their testing on their own 1M and they are on the door step of the ring and de-restricted autobahn, aerodynamics re the bonnet is a totally different thing though.....
I asked Alpha about the diffuser at the time; my question was whether the diffuser has any aero effect or so, they replied that it is purely cosmetic and I see no reason why it could create any issues at the rear since stock part also is not a real diffuser. They said the front splitters do create additional downforce though. Due to its shape I assume trunk also creates more downforce than the stock but probably not noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #298
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

As I thought, most if not all are cosmetic, without a complete flat channelled underside there is no real way any of the diffusers will act as the real deal, but anyways they look good.....I will wait for some of you guys fit the front splitters so I can see how they turn out.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 04:20 AM   #299
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Last edited by Aussie_in_London; 01-08-2013 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #300
jan9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Thanks for posting, really interesting article. Seems he really liked the set up. I look forward to a ride in your car at some point to feel the difference!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #301
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan9 View Post
Thanks for posting, really interesting article. Seems he really liked the set up. I look forward to a ride in your car at some point to feel the difference!
You can take it for a spin mate and experience it for yourself
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #302
jan9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Thanks for the offer. Hayward & Scott have got the 1M exhaust on their website now. Is there the option of getting the tips in other styles other than rolled? Have you still got the N55 pipe or did you get H &S to make you a new mid pipe?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #303
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan9 View Post
Thanks for the offer. Hayward & Scott have got the 1M exhaust on their website now. Is there the option of getting the tips in other styles other than rolled? Have you still got the N55 pipe or did you get H &S to make you a new mid pipe?
No worries mate.....

As for the H&S system, they can fit whatever tips you want, I wanted an oem style finish but it is your choice in that area, also how loud, I went for more on the conservative side while at idle and cruising but they can make it louder with less baffles, saying that mine has now changed somewhat since it has started to coke up.
My axle back is fitted straight to the N55 mids.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #304
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No worries mate.....

As for the H&S system, they can fit whatever tips you want, I wanted an oem style finish but it is your choice in that area, also how loud, I went for more on the conservative side while at idle and cruising but they can make it louder with less baffles, saying that mine has now changed somewhat since it has started to coke up.
My axle back is fitted straight to the N55 mids.
I drove it and it's really nice. The sound of it going down the hill from my house was fantastic. Shane's car is far more responsive than mine as well so it seems the mods on the car have improved the performance without any change to the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 12:30 AM   #305
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

I think KW's DDC is an excellent compromise between the stock suspension and BMW's EDC. Shane, are you able to raise your car to the stock ride height? The front bumper of the 1M with oem suspension has just about enough clearance for some of the undulated roads in Wales with just the driver on board.

Here's a technical document of the EDC system if anyone is interested. Note that for the competition package, the sport EDC setting is variable vs the fixed setting in the standard EDC.

Name:  1 copy.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  804.9 KB
Name:  2 copy.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  415.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #306
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

What's a few extra scratches to the the underside of the bumper mate, I am already building up a nice collection lol but I could raise it a little but it sits and handles just right as is.......I have done many of the routes in previous cars which where lowered and managed to make my way with only a few minor scrapes. I could switch it to sports+ and bounce my way over
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #307
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
What's a few extra scratches to the the underside of the bumper mate, I am already building up a nice collection lol but I could raise it a little but it sits and handles just right as is.......I have done many of the routes in previous cars which where lowered and managed to make my way with only a few minor scrapes. I could switch it to sports+ and bounce my way over
That's perfectly fine then. Just thought that you may have been pedantic about the undercarriage like Jezz
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #308
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

And I drive mine
Appreciate 0