BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-01-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: planning my getaway

USED/CPO 1M

You guys think well see any used 1M's? I would love buying a new car again, nothing like building the car w the options you want and knowing that it hasn't been treated poorly. And let's not forget about the new car smell, mmmm. But if I could find a CPO 1M with low miles, the savings would be nice.

But with only around ~500 cars coming to the US, will everyone be hanging onto their 1M's? And if we see some used ones, when will they start showing up? 3 months? 6 months? 1 year?

Also i'm guessing that since this is such a special car with a limited production run, maybe even used 1M's if they are available will still have an inflated price because they know many people will be looking for them. But IIRC, I think the Z4 M Coupe production number was around 2700 and you can find those used.

Anyways, not sure I want to wait that long for a used 1M, it's hard enough waiting until December for the unveiling. I just sold my 135i so I drive around my huge truck right now and I can't wait to get back into a small, fast bmw. This one will happen to (hopefully) have M suspension, a real LSD, 19" competition wheels, wider wheel base, quads, tons of torque, no RFT's, no sunroof not to mention an LCI facelift. Ladies and gentlemen I think we have a winner

Last edited by friscogypsee; 11-01-2010 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 01:19 AM   #2
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

You'll see a bunch of used ones as soon as the next generation 1er is announced....
      11-01-2010, 02:02 AM   #3
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

BAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
You'll see a bunch of used ones as soon as the next generation 1er is announced....
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I guess that sounds like a pretty darn likely scenario. F*@^! Guess i'll have to buy one new, im easily persuaded. What the hell is gonna happen when the 1er becomes a four banger as rumored. CRAZY!! A F' ing four banger in 2014. HA!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscogypsee View Post
Yeah I guess that sounds like a pretty darn likely scenario. F*@^! Guess i'll have to buy one new, im easily persuaded. What the hell is gonna happen when the 1er becomes a four banger as rumored. CRAZY!! A F' ing four banger in 2014. HA!
Just to add to this thought, there is rumor that there will be a RWD 2er replacing our current RWD 1er's.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
takashin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 YMB F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Just to add to this thought, there is rumor that there will be a RWD 2er replacing our current RWD 1er's.
Yar, if the 1er is a 4banger FWD then I guess we all buy 2ers.
Though I can name a good handful of great 4 cylinder cars with BOOST.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So on the subject of CPO...

How many of you that really do intend on getting a 1SMC intend to keep it?

If I get it one, I really doubt I would ever sell it. I would likely buy a different DD, and just keep the 1SMC for special drives/track day use a few times a year.

I'm curious if I'm in the minority or the majority?

And while I'm asking - how many of you will mod your 1SMC?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

I doubt I'd mod it. I really like the idea of a factory engineered sports coupe.

As for keeping it, no way to know right now. I'd probably consider the NEXT gen M vehicles before deciding.

But, who knows? I'm getting old; may go for 5 series GT next! :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 11:48 PM   #9
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
You guys think well see any used 1M's?
Euhhhh we see used lambos, used Mustang KR, used anything. Why not used 1M?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
Woodstock
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamarquis View Post
Yar, if the 1er is a 4banger FWD then I guess we all buy 2ers.
Though I can name a good handful of great 4 cylinder cars with BOOST.
Like the BMW 2002? All the more reason to make a 2er.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Talking about CPO on something that hasn't been released yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #12
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Talking about CPO on something that hasn't been released yet.
Yeah, just gotta LOL @ this thread. OP, you won't get a discount on a used 1M. You won't find one. The people that are buying this car will keep it for life. The next gen 1er isn't going to flood the market with 1Ms. If anything, it will make their value go up. There might be a handful of people who get out of the 1M (assuming it's their daily driver) for the F32 M3. Other than that, these cars will be hard to come by and will not be sold at a discount. Wishful thinking is only going to disappoint.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #13
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
Yeah, just gotta LOL @ this thread. OP, you won't get a discount on a used 1M. You won't find one. The people that are buying this car will keep it for life. The next gen 1er isn't going to flood the market with 1Ms. If anything, it will make their value go up. There might be a handful of people who get out of the 1M (assuming it's their daily driver) for the F32 M3. Other than that, these cars will be hard to come by and will not be sold at a discount. Wishful thinking is only going to disappoint.
Yeah but I just sold my low miles 08' 135i for 30k and I paid more than 50k w all the options and some nice dealer ad ons etc.

Just seeing the killer deal that my buyer got shows me how patience can really pay off if you can do it. SURE it's a long time down the road but I think long term planning is a GOOD thing.

Anyways buddy, you're comment "LOL at this thread. OP, you won't get a discount on a used 1M" I find that comment pretty arrogant and close minded personally. Just because the car hasn't been released yet you put it up on a pedestal, of course well see discounts man it's just matter of time.

I guess my question was how long until you think well see used 1M's. Basically it's just a guess. Sometimes theres that one person that 3 months after taking delivery they say "F**K this thing is fast, i'm gonna get into trouble. I think i'll sell it". Or someone will say "I'm not used to the sportier suspension, it's a little rough for my taste." And BAM, you get 5 or 10K off sticker price. QUITE LOGICAL THINKING IMO
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #14
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
The people that are buying this car will keep it for life.
The 1M will probably ring in about some odd $10K more than the 135i, BIG DEAL. Lot's of people on this board put that 10K in mods on their 135.

The fact that i'm trying to save money jumping from a 135i to a 1M is due to the tragedy that BMW is releasing this car so late in the game and it doesn't make economical sense to 135i owners, unless money is not an issue. eating the first two years of depreciation, then DOING IT AGAIN for a car that the 135 should have been the FIRST time just kinda sucks. I might just drive around my bigass 2010 dodge ram 1500 until 2014, it's a nice truck, just freaking HUGE that's all.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #15
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Oh yeah, I really need to hear FORMULA M's take on this, we all know about your agenda man, which is talk sh*t at every opportunity you have haha. Fact of the matter is that buying new and buying used each have their pro's and con's and a forum is a very appropriate place to discuss them.

so "dude", if you don't like my thread go troll somewhere else, i'm sure there's tons of people that want to hear your valuable opinion
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #16
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm sure there's a lot of people who may be thinking it would be nice to find a CPO'd low miles 1M, but don't want to talk about it cause they'll sound "cheap". Well folks we are in a economic recession and I have NO SHAME trying to save a few bucks here and there.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #17
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
Eventually... yes. U will find an 1M used, but are you going to drive around in a beater waiting to drop top-dollar when you find one..
Uh, and who said anything about me driving a beater, you are putting words in my mouth which is pretty immature. BTW my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie is a $45k truck and I get nothing but compliments on the beast with a Hemi.

And you say i'm "bargain shopping"? So by your terms everyone looking for a CPO'd BMW is cheap and bargain shopping. That's not too nice to say as i'm sure there are many good people who are CPO'd BMW owners who are very happy with their purchasing choices because it made better sense to them and fit their situation properly.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #18
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
eXACTLY^^...!

... but massively premature. The 1M isn't even into production. How much more of a "trite" post can u make? You're fantasizing over; whether-or-not, someone might not like their 1M, etc..

drama..
In case you haven't noticed, this entire 1M forum has been a massive fantasy for months as we've only had nuggets with which to work. So what?

If you don't have a constructive answer to the man's question, STFU. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #19
M3roar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3 e92  [9.34]
1998 BMW M3  [8.50]
lets debate about a used car thats not even new yet... haha
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #20
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3roar View Post
How's it any difference from debating ad nauseum the production details of a car when it was still barely even a prototype and we didn't even know for sure that it was going to be an ///M, as was the case a few months ago?

That being said, I think it's a completely legitimate question considering the supposed limited nature of the car. I'm sure this forum represents a sizable portion of the buyers for the car, so throwing out a feeler for what people's plans are for the car is a good question.

Again, if you don't have anything constructive to add here, just move along.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #21
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
eXACTLY^^...!

... but massively premature. The 1M isn't even into production. How much more of a "trite" post can u make? You're fantasizing over; whether-or-not, someone might not like their 1M, etc..

drama..
You must not know what Trite means.

Trite:
: hackneyed or boring from much use : not fresh or original

So the post is the 1st of its kind for the 1M so most certainly original and fresh.And being the 1st of its kind you simply can't call it boring from too much use.

Just wanted to correct you on the use here before you say that in the real world so someone who matters.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #22
theblackangus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3roar View Post
And there is something wrong with passing the time with fun conversation?

Being on the limited volume side, I see it as a perfectly normal question to ask.
"If I wanted one should I just bite the bullet and buy it new, because getting one that is in good shape post production may be difficult and/or not worth it because they will hold their value well?"
Appreciate 0