BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
lemonruski8011
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320I

Question Power steering not weighty?

Hi guys, just picked up my new 320i today very exciting. However the car I got has very light steering. Comparing with the cars i test drived, it just feel like drivng a completely different brand car.

I rang the dealer, the saleman told me the new built has a new technology on steering, but I couldn't find any related information on Google. Could some one please shed some lights?

Thanks heaps.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
skyscraper_g80
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
I believe older cars without efficient dynamics have a traditional hydraulic power steering setup, which is quite weighty. The newer models with efficient dynamics have an electric power steering setup, which is alot lighter. I've driven an ED and non-ED 130i and immediately noticed a huge difference! non-ED hydraulic setup is much better imho
      10-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Hi mate,

first up you should check out this forum dedicated to the 3series: http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28

I drove a brand new E90 the other day without the sports package and couldn't believe how light the steering was!
Does yours have the sports package?

Evolution42 is correct in that the newer models have an electric power steering setup, there might be a way to firm it up but not sure on that

Edit: i see you have posted in e90post as well but in the classifieds section...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

What year did this Efficient dynamics come in?

I test drove a MY10 I think it was(DCT no LCI) 135i and it was weighty.

I am under the impression from what I have read all around that all the 1ers have hybrid PS atleast from 2008 onwards, electric and hydraulic, dunno why the 3 series would be different.

Check under the bonnet and see if its Active steering perhaps?
I dunno if this applies for 3ers but does for 1ers atleast, If the lid to the steering fluid is all black it has AS, if it has a green ring it doesnt have AS.
      10-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

A BMW sales person told me a few months ago that the LCI 135i maintains hydraulic power steering, but the LCI version of 125i includes electric power steering as part of ED initiative. Both 125i and 135i LCI versions introduce regenerative braking. It was printed in a table in the release document for the E82 LCI dealer info. Thats what I recall anyway.

I also read that BMW are in the process of changing future models to electric ancillaries such as the power steering and even the water pump. I'm not 100%, but maybe this change coincides with the new F20 model.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
clfive02
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonruski8011 View Post
Hi guys, just picked up my new 320i today very exciting. However the car I got has very light steering. Comparing with the cars i test drived, it just feel like drivng a completely different brand car.

I rang the dealer, the saleman told me the new built has a new technology on steering, but I couldn't find any related information on Google. Could some one please shed some lights?

Thanks heaps.
It's Servotronic power steering. Do you not like it?
Appreciate 0