BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-28-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
tim@Oz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2005 118i

Question Auto Transmission Thump 118i

Hi Readers.

I have a BMW 118i Auto (2005), which has done 133,000km and now I an getting some issues and looking for answers....

1. The Auto Transmission is thumping when getting into 1st gerat from rest...I was reading that resetting the ECU may resolve this issue......has any one experienced this problem, and can resetting the ECU fix this issue. Also, how do i rest the ECU?

2. The brake light do not light up ...the globes are fine...is there a circut fault or some ICU needs replacing?

3. There is some oil leek... does anyone else have experienced this....can I add those oil leek fluids to cap the leek, which one is recomended?

cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 03:05 AM   #2
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Reset your transmission. Put ignition on but car off, press accelerator all the way to the floor and hold it there for 25 seconds then start the car and drive. Not sure if it'll work with a 118 but worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim@Oz View Post
Hi Readers.

I have a BMW 118i Auto (2005), which has done 133,000km and now I an getting some issues and looking for answers....

1. The Auto Transmission is thumping when getting into 1st gerat from rest...I was reading that resetting the ECU may resolve this issue......has any one experienced this problem, and can resetting the ECU fix this issue. Also, how do i rest the ECU?

2. The brake light do not light up ...the globes are fine...is there a circut fault or some ICU needs replacing?

3. There is some oil leek... does anyone else have experienced this....can I add those oil leek fluids to cap the leek, which one is recomended?

cheers.
1) Firstly i would look to reset the adaptations and then set the teach in feature again and see how that goes and also look at the history of the software to see if it has the latest updates. Upgrade the software if required. Secondly the valve body gets sticky pistons and would need to be removed to test out on the bench to see if that requires replacing. Thirdly if that fails and the thump has been going for a while, there is a fair chance the clutch packs are worn and the trans requires rebuilding or replacing.
2)The brake lights could be a stop light switch
3)These engines are prone to leaky vac pumps at the rear of the cylinder head, i have a repair kit for these now and the cam cover gaskets leak like crazy as well. If it has suddenly developed heaps of leaks, like the sump and cam sensors as well as the above, and everything has started leaking, then i would recommend changing the PCV valve and the hoses as the crank case over pressurizes and causes the failure of the seals.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 06:39 AM   #4
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

2. to add to what andrew has mentioned, it could also be a blown fuse.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
tim@Oz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Guys (specially Andrew),

But seems like lot of work...are all 1 series Beemers having so many problems.........it seems like BMW 1 series really not up to the sandard, even the Koren cars seem to be doing better than this.......I think I will stick to Subaru I have had 5 in the past with no issues.....One advise to BMW >>>> get u r act together and produce better quality cars....

At the moment the oil leek is from the top so replacing the seal....annd from the oil filter...replacing that too......but when we opened the endine cover...there is a broken spring .......its circular with 2 loops and then an extension......My friends mate telss that its normal for these to break....just figuring out where it goes and how to put it on

Any way I'll get to the car next week when my mate returns from Coff Harbour -WRC and fix the car, and keep you guys posted on how all went.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
not all 1ers have a lot of problems mate, mine runs like a dream and is a pleasure to drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

You should always listen to your friend's mate. Stick to Japanese cars.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 02:33 AM   #8
tim@Oz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi Guys

Thanks ...some issues resolves but some still annoying

the auto transmission ECU reset works......its better than before but the transmission still thumps sometimes.......

The other problemis that the coolant sign keeps comming back even when i have topped the coolant .....

HOW DO I RESET COOLANT WARNING SIGN??????

I am developing a love hate relation with this car....

tim
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #9
tim@Oz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey

The resetting of ECU did not work on the transmission thump......so to the mechanic whho after electronic diagnostic said...

the car has a ECCentric fault......

What is this
What does this cause now and future
Is this related to the thumping of the transmission (AutO)
Are they making money of a fault that is not giving me any trouble......

They said cannot promise if this will fix the transmission slipping from 1st to 2nd gear...but worth a try.

eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

tim@oz
Appreciate 0