BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

My local tyre shop having a rant...

So I just bought my wheels and tyres to my local tyre shop.

He just gave me a 15 minute lecture/rant about how I am ruining their business when we buy tyres overseas. Apparently we are ruining the tyre industry in the country!

Just wondering if anyone get the same rant when you bring tyres to them?

ps. will post pics once I get it back, cross my fingers it is not going to rub!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

yea but ur saving $$$.... sif he won't do the same if he was in your shoes!
      10-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Yeah definitely! he said he is going to increase the price to fit and mount tyres from $100 to $200.

I thought to myself I would still be buying tyres from tirerack even with a $100 increase.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

I have got something similar from a retailer but for car audio.
The place was an installation shop that also sold equipment who installed my system with sound deadening and tuning much earlier with equipment I had already.

When I wanted to upgrade I got the run around because it turned out the speakers I auditioned and was set on couldn't be sourced locally and the next recommended ones were out of my budget. So when I finally decided to get them overseas we had a falling out over it because I wasn't buying off him and getting them overseas even though due to budget reasons it was them or nothing. The guy just got caught up in his salesman tactics I think, trying to squeeze an up sell.

Last edited by ItsHectic; 10-05-2011 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

I got the run around when I was getting my tyres fitted. Bob Jane refused to fit non run flats to the car, the sky would fall should I get anything other than what came on the car!

I can understand it can't be easy for any stores to compete with international sales but they need to look at other avenues to differentiate themselves.

I'd be happy to pay some premium to get tyres locally but not twice the price.

Interested to see what Vans view is on this, considering he's on the other side of the fence.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175 View Post
I got the run around when I was getting my tyres fitted. Bob Jane refused to fit non run flats to the car, the sky would fall should I get anything other than what came on the car!

I can understand it can't be easy for any stores to compete with international sales but they need to look at other avenues to differentiate themselves.

Interested to see what Vans view is on this, considering he's on the other side of the fence.
Well Vans quoted me some competitive price! I would have bought it from him (and not because I am helping out a fellow indo too :P). Next time I will - though my local tyre shop will still give me the sh!t since I bought it interstate lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
I'd go to another fitter, he obviously doesn't understand his customers.

I have never had an issue with JAX Artarmon... They most happy to fit and balance for $100

Yeah next time I will.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
So I just bought my wheels and tyres to my local tyre shop.

He just gave me a 15 minute lecture/rant about how I am ruining their business when we buy tyres overseas. Apparently we are ruining the tyre industry in the country!

Just wondering if anyone get the same rant when you bring tyres to them?

ps. will post pics once I get it back, cross my fingers it is not going to rub!
No, he is ranting about how the manufacturers are not lowering their price so that he can compete. He also mentioned that when a customer comes in and tell him he can get it cheaper on the internet, he take it back up to the manufacturer and they will usually lower the price for him so that he can still do the deal.

Failing that he can still go to the importers and buy the tyre if the manufacturer would not match the price.

Quote:
Yeah definitely! he said he is going to increase the price to fit and mount tyres from $100 to $200.

I thought to myself I would still be buying tyres from tirerack even with a $100 increase.
Take the business to someone who only charge less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175 View Post

My tyre store has been promoting non-RFT for so long over RFT.

I am a retailer myself and I am sick of retailers whinging about people ordering online. What businesses, especially large ones for that matter need to understand it is a global world now and they only have themselves to blame if they don't respond to the challenge. Most of the time, they lose business to online store in Australia anyway and not overseas.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
Blackmilk19
Rep
Drives: 130i

I find massive inconsistency when trying to get pricing for tires locally. I also have no problem paying a little extra for convenience but it find it insulting when they quote ridiculous price and miraculously discount that by 30% while you're walking away.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #9
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
When I got my wheels mounted the shop was happy to do it but they did have a bit of a rant about people buying tyres overseas when another customer cam in and asked why they were so much more expensive than a competitor.

The guy behind the counter basically said "At that price the other shop must be selling grey import rubber and that the customer should be careful about not getting warranty should anything goo wrong..."

He had no problem with doing my wheels and remounting my existing rubber though...
      10-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

LOL. Yeah I've had the same lecture given to me a few times before. One time by my uncle who owns a tyre shop here in Sydney..

Personally I'd start using a different tyre shop if they told me they'd charge double to recoup their lost tyre-sales revenue.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
LOL. Yeah I've had the same lecture given to me a few times before. One time by my uncle who owns a tyre shop here in Sydney..

Personally I'd start using a different tyre shop if they told me they'd charge me double to recoup their lost tyre-sales revenue.
Yeah I would definitely go somewhere else, I guess I was talking in term if all the tyre shop in Perth decided to double their labour cost. I would still buy overseas if it means I will save over $1000 vs paying $100 of labour.

I guess my point is that increasing labour cost by $100 is not going to deter me from buying online since their prices are ridiculous. They need to find a way to compete!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I would definitely go somewhere else, I guess I was talking in term if all the tyre shop in Perth decided to double their labour cost. I would still buy overseas if it means I will save over $1000 vs paying $100 of labour.

I guess my point is that increasing labour cost by $100 is not going to deter me from buying online since their prices are ridiculous. They need to find a way to compete!
Exactly! Sparoz has kindly given a how-to guide for reducing local tyre prices for retailers. Maybe pass this thread link on to your friends at the tyre shop, hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
snip
Another example on this forum was when SoutherBM consistently hounded their local supplier for better prices on KW Coilovers, to compete with international vendors. And guess what... they sold some units! *high five* Andrew.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #13
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

You're paying $100 to have tyres fitted and balanced?? Does that include a happy ending massage as well?

If he doesn't want to be competitive in his prices, then screw him, he's making enough money by charging $100 to fit and balance 4 tyres..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #14
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

my local tyre shop asked me where i got the advans when i asked to have them fitted, i thought here we go i'm in for a lecture, i said tire rack in the US for under a grand, they said oh great now we know where to get them as we cannot even source them locally for that much, they fit them for 15 bucks each. i think the retailers should cut out these filthy rich australian distributers who have been killing it for so long
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
You're paying $100 to have tyres fitted and balanced?? Does that include a happy ending massage as well?

If he doesn't want to be competitive in his prices, then screw him, he's making enough money by charging $100 to fit and balance 4 tyres..
lol what is the going rate anyway? I don't do it that often to know what is the going rate
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #16
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
my local tyre shop asked me where i got the advans when i asked to have them fitted, i thought here we go i'm in for a lecture, i said tire rack in the US for under a grand, they said oh great now we know where to get them as we cannot even source them locally for that much, they fit them for 15 bucks each. i think the retailers should cut out these filthy rich australian distributers who have been killing it for so long
BINGO!

Tempe Tyres, for example, started parallel importing Kuhmo tyres many years ago and absolutely no one could touch their prices. They were selling tyres to customers cheaper than what the official distributors were selling them at. Kuhmo Australia finally caught on and they started working with certain retailers around Australia to regain their control of the market.

On a random note, I was thoroughly surprised when my local Bob Jane T-mart, who are known for sucking $$$ out of anyone who walks through the door, quoted me $1150 for a set (x4) of 245/40/18 Michelin PS3s last week. And this was without asking for a better price! I found it odd when he proceeded to quote me PS2s at $1600 LOL

RaihaX: usually $15 is considered good. $20, average and $25 is the special John Howard pricing.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #17
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Tempe tyres did mine for $50.

there's a place (I think it's Jax) on Hume Hwy in South Strathfield that quoted me $50 as well but I rocked up just as they were closing.

So yeh depends what area you're in.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:25 AM   #18
-satanic-
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

This is why I am still friends with my best mate, who just happens to own all the gear to do this stuff for free

Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #19
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -satanic- View Post
This is why I am still friends with my best mate, who just happens to own all the gear to do this stuff for free
Taking a stab in the dark here, but would that be Phill? Just a guess lol...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:42 AM   #20
Honny
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something

Rey... Name and shame the place please? I have to get my PSS fitted soon!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #21
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Went back to pick up my car and he was singing a different tune! like he wanted to be my best mate...

Johnny is Ian Diffen Tyre factory in Morley Galleria

anyway here is the wheels on my car - I think I am slightly rubbing on the rear left. Not sure whether to raise my car 10mm or roll the fender.

Everyone in the office says my car is too low haha....

ps. I am loving the look of the matte black wheel on my blue! glad I went this route
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:54 AM   #22
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Nice. Looking Mean...