BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
Blauweisser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M-Sport

OT - Sports Coupe trends?

A few recent news items:
- Mazda stops making rotary motors - phase out of the RX-8 in June 2012
- Alfa to release 4C in Q4 2012 - 0-100 km/h <5 secs, 170 kW, 850 kg, ~$70,000
- VW finally brings Scirocco to Oz November 2011- 0-100 km/h 6.1 secs, 188 kW, from $47,490. Although I agree with one German commentator that it looks like an elephant sat on a Golf, it will probably do well here, especially VW Australia are taling the Golf R out of the line-up to make way for it here.

I think that from a motor point of view, small blown 4's are the future, underscored by the new BMW motors. If the Alfa concept meets reality with a mix of carbon fibre and aluminium, lightness must be in the mix. Is this the future, then?

Shame about the RX-8, but at least Mazda gained valuable experience in several areas which could be part of their next-gen sports cars. RX-8 features like aluminium panels, carbon fibre drive shaft and a LSD in a moderately priced car are worthwhile keeping. It will be interesting see what is in the next MX-5. Mazda have always had a minimum weight philosophy, too.

The Alfa 4C looks like it could be on just about every car-jackers hit list. It also looks like the sort of car that rich fathers buy for their sons, but I can't get over that tiny weight. It bet it will be fun to drive.

Anyone like to punt that BMW will use some of that technology developed for the i-series electrics into conventional petrol vehicles? Let's face it, the 1-series coupes at around 1400 kg do look a bit bloated in comparison to the Alfa.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
CrustyNoodle
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

1. The rumour about Mazda dropping the rotary has been going around for literally the last 30 years but they just keep bringing it out in the next gen RX-#. Who knows they might actually axe it this time but I wouldn't be so sure.
  2. 4C sounds sweet but even still, I don't think I'd ever be tempted by another Alfa - interesting cars but I just don't have the time for them any more - nuff said!
  3. Think VW are only dropping the 2 door Golf R to make way for the Scirocco - not the 4 door.