02-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #45
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Star Dirizzeas (spelling?) do a very nice job for being a non-R Tire.

Kerry, I'm looking at Hoosier's site and the 235 is really interesting except for the fact it is .35" smaller in the tread width than the 265 (9.25" v 9.60"). Other factors like smaller height and circumference are less of an issue but in getting clearance might be the trick.

Yes, I was leaning to the Dunlops if the size works. Hoosiers are too expensive. Right now, I can make more time just learning to drive than tires. Can't run 18s, it takes me out of Stock class. Otherwise, 18 is a no-brainer. So anyone try a non hoosier 265/30/19 front and 295/30/19 in rear? I think the M3 guys do but not sure if body is different on 1M?

I'll let you Hoosier guys win! : ) I just want something so I don't look bad for now.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #46
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I'll let you Hoosier guys win! : )
As they say: From your mouth to God's ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob
Yes, I was leaning to the Dunlops if the size works. Hoosiers are too expensive. Right now, I can make more time just learning to drive than tires.
You are showing extreme intelligence by this mindset. Learn how to drive the car first (i.e. fix the nut behind the wheel). Once you improve/master your driving skills then the rest falls into place. Many new drivers think that throwing buckets of money (and parts etc.) will cure poor driving skills.

Attend a driving school. I'd recommend Evolution Performance Driving School. It is an excellent program and as are the folks running it. Many National Champions are your instructors. It is the best bang for the buck.

If anyone is considering running at the Meadowlands/Metlife Stadium, with the NNJR SCCA, I plan on attending a lot of events there. I may try to grab a few North Jersey BMWCCA autocrosses too. I'm happy to hear myself talk. I'm not sure what each club's rules are for instructing but if they consider me worthy I'll be happy to help.

Kerry does instructional work too, so if he is in your area (Texas I believe, but the closest I've been to TX is DFW ), give him a shout and he can give you advice and help.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.

Last edited by mattm; 02-03-2012 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #47
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M

Quote:
Fender liners or tires?
Just the whole thing. I think this setup will work but long term a st class is going to be easier on he car.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #48
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3kerry View Post
Just the whole thing. I think this setup will work but long term a st class is going to be easier on he car.
Ao no real need to go down to the 235?

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #49
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M

Quote:
As they say: From your mouth to God's ears.

You are showing extreme intelligence by this mindset. Learn how to drive the car first (i.e. fix the nut behind the wheel). Once you improve/master your driving skills then the rest falls into place. Many new drivers think that throwing buckets of money (and parts etc.) will cure poor driving skills.

Attend a driving school. I'd recommend Evolution Performance Driving School. It is an excellent program and as are the folks running it. Many National Champions are your instructors. It is the best bang for the buck.

If anyone is considering running at the Meadowlands/Metlife Stadium, with the NNJR SCCA, I plan on attending a lot of events there. I may try to grab a few North Jersey BMWCCA autocrosses too. I'm happy to hear myself talk. I'm not sure what each club's rules are for instructing but if they consider me worthy I'll be happy to help.

Kerry does instructional work too, so if he is in your area (Texas I believe, but the closest I've been to TX is DFW ), give him a shout and he can give you advice and help.
+1

I good driver and data logger can move your times on a 60 course by more then a couple of seconds in a day.

Last edited by m3kerry; 02-04-2012 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0